Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading through this detailing section with interest. I've got myself quite a list of supplies. Quick question, where does everyone in the UK buy their cleaning products? I fancy going to a shop so I can get them asap rather than online, however if the prices are significantly better online then I'll do that. Just wondering if there are any decent shops about?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im afraid I am bit of a brand ***** and only use the Mini wheel cleaner. It is fabulous stuff and the best I have used, and I have tried a lot! Effortless cleaning.

I get mine from eBay > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-Genu...83122298275-/141387213208?hash=item20eb55a998

I use AutoGlym products for the rest of the car. Especially like the Ultra Black polish for the body work > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOGLYM-...D-DARK-CARS-/400754643278?hash=item5d4ed6914e

Finished off with the perfect shine and protection of AutoGlym HD wax > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOGLYM-...r-Auto-Glym-/141777284891?hash=item210295af1b

Bloody love cleaning my car. Sad I know.:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hadn't even thought of ebay!

Still wondering if there are any decent UK shops as well. Would be good to know if there's anywhere I could just drive and pick stuff up on the day.
Mini will sell you the Wheel cleaner. Highly recommend that stuff.

I am still traditional with the 2 washes before polish with AutoGlym wash....but I see many people use a foam of some sort now... be interested to know what that is and how good it is? Anyone?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I take it from your user name you are from Bristol. I am lucky and have Elite CarCare only a few miles from me in Maidenhead. Alex is a top bloke and is known for fast delivery. Give him a ring and he will discuss your requirements. He also gives a discount for members of the Detailing World forum. Tell him Pat with the black Mini put you onto him.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up ordering online. Got myself a load of Meguiars stuff including a decent shampoo, carnauba wax, a couple of large microfibre towels as well as some smaller ones, a few buckets, wheel brush and a microfibre mitt. As it's brand new I don't need any clay/tar remover yet but will be stocking up on some soon as well as some glass cleaner.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Some online companies are very fast to deliver....I can vouch for Polished Bliss and AM Details.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Would you recommend using a polish as well? I was thinking since it's only a few weeks old the car shouldn't really need one yet.
Best time to do it

Stich in time etc ;)

Reactions: BristolMini

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, will have a look for future purchases, I utilised amazon for most of my stuff this time.

Another quickie, I've got the Meguiars ultimate wash and wax, and also their carnauba wax. I used both the other day and was very pleased with the results. Just wondering if it might be a bit of overkill, since I'm basically waxing almost twice? Or should I just stick to my guns and use both? Not sure why I'm asking, because I'll probably continue to use both anyway hah!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Been reading through this detailing section with interest. I've got myself quite a list of supplies. Quick question, where does everyone in the UK buy their cleaning products? I fancy going to a shop so I can get them asap rather than online, however if the prices are significantly better online then I'll do that. Just wondering if there are any decent shops about?
I know this is an old post but thought I'd use it to post some pics rather than start a new thread.

Firstly, now only 6 sleeps until Mini arrives, so I have been practicing my valeting skills on my Astra estate and thought I'd attempt to post some pics and give my opinion (for what it's worth) on the cleaning products.

After reading some good reviews on Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Sealant I took myself up to Halfords this morning and paid £22 for the bottles but due to their 3 for 2 got some T-Cut colour match to hide a couple of scratches. Not impressed with this at all. The Autoglym polish made a better job of the scratches.

Firstly, snowfoamed and washed the car. Dried off and applied the Super Resin Polish. Had the perfect day for it, warm but not blazing sunshine. Let the polish dry for 5 minutes each panel and found it extremely easy to buff off. Probably the easiest buffing ever.

Wife had a peak and stated that 'you couldn't get it any shinier.' Well there was a challenge. Anyhow, very pleased with results. Got clean clothe and put as fine coat of Extra Gloss Sealant. This was extremely easy and quick to put on. Goes on clear then turns to a white hazy look just like a wax. Waiting 30 minutes then buffed it off. Got to say I do believe I met the challenge and got the car even shinier, like a mirror.

I am indeed impressed with the initial look but time will tell how well it works to actually repel water and dirt. Think got to manage expectations here, it is not going to be anywhere near as good as the proper professional sealants but if I get 2-3 months each time I'd be happy.

Ok here are the pics of the Astra. Did I mention 6 sleeps to Mini, not that I'm excited or anything....

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee452/mjq1602/20160514_170010_zpsppysplzr.jpg
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee452/mjq1602/20160514_165954_zpswhsbzpsj.jpg
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee452/mjq1602/20160514_165935_zps1y0tzmzg.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
I've always been happy with autoglym products and I really like the top gloss sealant. I did our duster in this a year ago and haven't reapplied it yet. In fact it's not had any more treatment other than a quick wash weekly. Still shiny (but not beading quite As well now!!!) Probably.as.shiny as our a glaze professionally treated roadsters and thef56 I a glazed myself!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nothing wrong with autoglym at all. That top gloss sealant gets much much shinier if you put on 2-3 coats
Ah man. Wish you hadn't said that, spent 6 hours on the car yesterday and paying for it today. Was going to do the square route of F*** all today but now looks like I'll be applying another coat. O well it is a cracking day!

Can this stuff be put on in direct sunlight? It doesn't say either way on the bottle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been reading through this detailing section with interest. I've got myself quite a list of supplies. Quick question, where does everyone in the UK buy their cleaning products? I fancy going to a shop so I can get them asap rather than online, however if the prices are significantly better online then I'll do that. Just wondering if there are any decent shops about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah man. Wish you hadn't said that, spent 6 hours on the car yesterday and paying for it today. Was going to do the square route of F*** all today but now looks like I'll be applying another coat. O well it is a cracking day!

Can this stuff be put on in direct sunlight? It doesn't say either way on the bottle.
------------------------------

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.