Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Thanks for the warm welcome so far. My wife bought a 2016 JCW recently and the one thing she missed from her old car was CarPlay.
Her car has the XL Media NavPro (609) - so it is an ID4.

I don't have much experience in the BMW world - so i will take advice on board.

I have used the search function and have deduced the following:
Carplay can be enabled - but it is only part screen.
Firmware can be upgraded to iD5 - but there are some issues sometimes
other option is to retrofit the LCi (not prefered due to sheer cost)
There are modules - but they need some workarounds?

Who has done this? and what do you think?

I know that there are experts on here - i wonder what they think?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cheapest way is to get iDrive 4 to iDrive 6 flash and live with CarPlay on 3/4 of the screen.
Best way is to get newer headunit and then you can enjoy newest UI as well as Fullscreen - Screen has to be changed though to get this benefits.
You can send me Your VIN, and I'll check if Your headunit is capable of this kind of upgrade.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheapest way is to get iDrive 4 to iDrive 6 flash and live with CarPlay on 3/4 of the screen.
Best way is to get newer headunit and then you can enjoy newest UI as well as Fullscreen - Screen has to be changed though to get this benefits.
You can send me Your VIN, and I'll check if Your headunit is capable of this kind of upgrade.
Sent you a PM with vin

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So

I did some calling around, and also spoke to several 'experts' on the forum.

It was pretty clear. I cannot get the full screen Carplay, and i won't be able to get the touchscreen either as i have the id4 with 2gb ram.

I will eventually get an ID5/6 unit with touch screen - but i won't pay THAT level of money.

anyways. spoke to several people - and it did come down to cost ultimately, but also on reviews too. i have to say there are may great people that can do upgrades on the forum and it was ultimately a difficult choice to whom i went with.

@Dragos got the job, it was simple 'bread and butter' type upgrade. i think the 'work' connection was what sold it.

A quick review of this work. Great first class service. We spoke on the phone, i identified what i want and he promplty talked me out of it because of the issues i would face. As an engineer myself it wasnt hard to deduce the positives vs negatives.

he sent me a file with what to download, and i loaded it onto my laptop. In the morning i logged him into Teamviewer and let him get about his business. 40 mins later - its all done.

10 mins after that he loaded the carplay FCS and its thank you very much.

Quality Service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all
I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I recently bought a September 2020 Cooper S with the 6.5" non touch screen. Great car but I would really love to have Carplay and a reversing camera. Following consultation with a company, I ordered a retrofit unit to provide me with Carplay. However, when I removed the screen, the head unit looked nothing like the one in their instructions and the wiring loom was a for a previous version. Upshot is, I am having to send it back, and I cant see anywhere on the internet a retrofit that suits this head unit. Can anyone point me in the right direction please (if there is one), or am I just going to have to wait until they are produced. Picture if head unit below.
Many Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi all
I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I recently bought a September 2020 Cooper S with the 6.5" non touch screen. Great car but I would really love to have Carplay and a reversing camera. Following consultation with a company, I ordered a retrofit unit to provide me with Carplay. However, when I removed the screen, the head unit looked nothing like the one in their instructions and the wiring loom was a for a previous version. Upshot is, I am having to send it back, and I cant see anywhere on the internet a retrofit that suits this head unit. Can anyone point me in the right direction please (if there is one), or am I just going to have to wait until they are produced. Picture if head unit below.
Many Thanks
View attachment 74423
This is the basic radio that came in certain LCI cars.

Unfortunately, there’s no easy solution to add CarPlay to it. There’s no compatible MMI device.

At least one or two people who had cars that came with your headunit have retrofit an NBT Evo headunit and a touchscreen, but to do this, you’ll heed to remove the pins from the existing connector that plugs into your current headunit and swap them to the quadlock connector that most BMWs and Minis use. I’m not aware of any plug and play adapter harness.

A number of people are in the same situation as you - I’m hoping someone writes up a diy on how to retrofit an NBT Evo and touchscreen. It would not be an inexpensive approach (the parts are expensive), but it would be the most factory-like solution.

The only other approach I’ve seen is to retrofit an Android based replacement headunit - I have no experience with these, but know there is at least one that is compatible with your factory headunit’s connector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many thanks for that very comprehensive response. Looks like I am going to just do without until someone comes up with a retrofit.
Once again. thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to jump this thread. I have a 2014 Mini Cooper F55 with the full screen nav, non touch screen. Is this able to support Carplay?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to jump this thread. I have a 2014 Mini Cooper F55 with the full screen nav, non touch screen. Is this able to support Carplay?
Hey mate. Looking at the year you have an entrynav unit. Unfortunately , no. Need to retrofit to entrynav2 or nbtevo to have carplay.
cheers

·
Registered
2016 Clubman Cooper
15 Posts
After reading @mtailor's write up I contacted @Dragos straightaway to have mine updated for CarPlay.
I have the 8.8" non-touch media XL screen and have not seen this option being done before; everything was done through software, no need to buy extra parts and take apart the trim's to add different connectors or modules.
This was what it looked like before:

The programming from start to finish was only about an hour and now I have split-screen carplay enabled!

Only played with it on my drive but seems to run just as well as before. Everything was done in half a day!
Would recommend him if anyone is looking for this upgrade!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts