Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here so I have to say it's great to have this community here to chat with. I've had my MINI for just about a year now.. my first time having a car in 10 years as living in NYC doesn't exactly warrant it but I've been loving every bit of it.
And now for my little story...
About two weeks ago I managed to take a drive through a flooded over section of road that was a bit deeper than I anticipated... bad judgement and outside influence from the driver ahead of me who decided to go straight through and I thought what the ****. I made it almost entirely through and then stalled out and had a couple guys help push me into a nearby parking lot. I was able to get the car started and let it idle for a while with a lot of heavy white exhaust coming out of the tailpipe. I was able to rev the engine but as soon as I put the car in gear and tried to take off it would stall out again. Of course I started searching online and thinking I had hydrolocked my engine and started panicking. On a chance, in searching for help with a safe place to leave my car overnight I met a former mechanic and car enthusiast who offered to take a look at it and proceeded to eventually get the car running after repeatedly revving the **** out of it and gunning it around the parking lot to dry off the MAF as he figured thats what the problem was. Scared me a little bit I have to say but I was quite glad to be able to drive again. I went to AutoZone to have them check the engine codes and it was saying misfires on all cylinders.. I figured I would clear the code the next day to see if it came back but it disappeared on its own. I took the air filter out and it was slightly damp but definitely not soaked. I cleaned the MAF sensor and put everything back together. I feel like the car still has a slightly rough idle but I can't remember if that's just normal. Fortunately I'm due very soon for my one year check up is so I'll be able to take it in and get the oil changed and have everything looked at... I can't help feeling uneasy that some big problem is going to happen even though most information out there seems to say that water damage always happens immediately if it's going to... Anyone have any advice out there?
Thanks for taking the time to read!
Erik

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
I'd say sounds like you've been lucky; and if it's petrol it is much less likely to hydro lock than diesel due to the compression nature of the engine. Water in a diesel is a total disaster! I wouldnt have thought the issue would get worse-if it is going well now then you sound like you've not done any lasting damage -let's hope not!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think hydro lock symptoms would be that the engine would appear to be seized with water getting into the combustion chambers, preventing piston movement. As the engine runs I don't think it can be that.

If the water was deep enough, and the engine stopped while in the water as I think you suggest, would the exhaust and therefore the catalytic converter not fill up with water?...if the engine is running that is not a problem as the exhaust keeps the water out, but if it stops running, then there could be a problem.

Maybe not, as I have no experience of such things, but I imagine a cat full of water might take a little time to become effective again, but whether that would affect the engine running ie misfires, or just output emissions in the short term, I don't know.

Just tell them the symptoms and let their diagnostic stuff find any problem. Perhaps you needn't tell them you drove through a lake before the problems started, though they may deduce it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.