Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, went to collect a 2nd hand Cooper today, but a few issues have arisen. Scratches, marks and a engine light that has come on. Thankfully, before I drove it away. There was no service book or electric tyre pump in the car. I am told service history is all on line, but only if its been serviced by MINI? Anyway, a call to a MINI dealer and service history shows axial bearing shells on the crank have been replaced, engine mount cracked and replaced, 1st gear making unpleasant noises and Oxygen sensor replaced. After all this, do I walk away or as this works now been done should I be OK?The crankshaft issue is a bit of a worry! Thnks for any help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How old is the car? What mileage? What service history? Private or dealer sale? Warranty? Good price? When was work done? What was engine light fault and was cause rectified? Was gearbox fixed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2015,30k mileage, mini service history up until 2018,dealer sale (not mini dealer) £10500, engine light not yet diagnosed. Not yet driven car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Walk away. Too many issues.
Btw, the service book is really online (probably also coded in the key; history also available in car multimedia). I don't have a paper copy for instance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all, went to collect a 2md hand Cooper today, but a few issues have arisen. Scratches, marks and a engine light that has come on. Thankfully, before I drove it away. There was no service book or electric tyre pump I the car. I am told service history is all on line, but only if its beemservicex by MINI. Anyway, a call to a MINI dealer and service history shows axial bearing shells on the crank have been replaced, engine mount cracked and replaced, 1st gear making unpleasant noises and Oxygen sensor replaced. After all this, do I walk away or as this works now been done should I be OK?The crankshaft issue is a big of a worry! Thnks for any help.
I'd run away, not walk! There are so many used minis out there to choose from. If it doesn't feel right, it usually isn't! Good luck with your continued search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a bit of a search, possibly the crank bearings may have been from a recall? I love the look of the car, so didn't want to walk away. This would be my 5th MINI, but 1st F56. Depending on what the engine light is, I am told the other issues can be dealt with, so may push for at least a years warranty as some kind of safeguarding backup instead!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
7,907 Posts
The bearing issue is the recall am sure. So better it's been done. The other faults are normal Mini stuff except the gearbox . What has been done about that?. If nothing walk . If renewed ie new gearbox and the warranty is good you could buy one with all this waiting to happen? Sorry devil's advocate.

Reactions: pilotwoo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Are all F56 models supplied with an electric tyre pump and a tube of sealant?
The bearing issue is the recall am sure. So better it's been done. The other faults are normal Mini stuff except the gearbox . What has been done about that?. If nothing walk . If renewed ie new gearbox and the warranty is good you could buy one with all this waiting to happen? Sorry devil's advocate.
Turns out gearbox was replaced at 22k ( now done 30k) but still only on a 15 registration. If i can get a good used warranty to cover if for at least a year it may be worth still going with it. Wasn't aware F56's had a gearbox issue?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Are all F56 models supplied with an electric tyre pump and a tube of sealant?
If i'm not mistaken, you get this if you have non-RFT tyres equipped from factory, and you get nothing if you have runflats.
At least the first part of the above is 100% correct :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Who did the gearbox replacement? Was it a brand new unit fitted by Mini under warranty or a reconditioned unit or repair by someone else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Replaced by Bowker MINI in Blackburn under warranty, so assume a new unit. After a search on here, could it have been related to the crank bearing recall or the early F56 gearchange issue where MINI replaced the whole box?

·
Registered
75 Posts
So must have been replaced in 1st three years to have been under warranty. At 22000 miles. That means only 8000 miles in last three years.
Have you seen copies of Mot certificates to check yearly mileages?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So must have been replaced in 1st three years to have been under warranty. At 22000 miles. That means only 8000 miles in last three years.
Have you seen copies of Mot certificates to check yearly mileages?
Yes, 4000 miles in 2019,600 miles 2020-2021. Nothing massive on advisories except pads and a puncture.

·
Super Moderator
7,907 Posts
Yes gearbox may have been done as part of crank issue quite a few has it of that year recall. Sounds like it might be a goer but get a good warranty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts