Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New tyre ordered. No not worn em out yet we've only done 2500 miles -got you all going though didn't I-still finding the car so much fun and so much zip I easily could have done. Whacking great nail in it-Mini don't recommend a repair due to the amount of torque that goes through the fronts-I suppose I could put it on the rear, but on a brand new car? Anyway Sopers can get me one today for £130 which is after balancing etc exactly a match for the online cheapies price wise so it's book in for a new one. Will keep the punctured one get it repaired-nail is in the middle of the tread not sidewall and use it for a spare! Might even see if I can find a wheel and get it fitted. While I was at it I ordered the balancing tool from them to keep in the boot-if that had happened while away anywhere we might have struggled to get the tyre balanced although Mini did say Kwik Fit are supposed to have them! That's my pocket money for the month down the drain!

·
Registered
346 Posts
During the last days of "summer tyres season" of 2020 I got a screw into one of my Pirelli P Zero. Not the worst case scenario, but nothing to be happy about anyways.
I went for a repair and in spring 2021 these tyres fully survived a track day :)
I put the punctured one on the rear though.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If it's tyre confession time then I might as well own-up now. After berating runcraps and their adverse impact on ride quality I've just had the front pair of tyres replaced....with runflats.
I came so close to buying a tyre repair kit (inflator plus goo) and replacing all four with real tyres, but with the rear pair still on 6mm and with Halfords offering 10% off Bridgestone's plus a £20 Confused . com Halfords voucher I received for buying insurance, the total cost was only £180 for two 225/40 x 18" Potenza S001's runflats, matching the rears, fitted and balanced.
I know I'll regret it the first time I drive on a bit of coarse or broken tarmac... 😂

·
Registered
771 Posts
View attachment 73645

I am also on runflats. It feels good to say that out loud.
Saying it out loud is the first step towards accepting that you have a problem. 😂
Not sure whether I'm a sinner or a cynic - someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.😁
One thing my runcrap experience has taught me is the need to maintain the correct tyre pressures, particularly important as the (UK) weather has warmed-up marginally. Even slightly over-inflated the ride is unbearable, whereas if the pressures are correct (35psi front, 32 psi rear for me) then the ride is merely appalling.:geek:

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well not full contact in that the wheels are rotating at the same speed as the tarmac-the wheels are usually moving faster! I haven't actually checked tread depth-might do before I bother getting it repaired!!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
As this was tyre related I thought I would ask about the wheel nut torque, I just read in my new mini electric the settings are either 140nm or 101ft-lb but if you convert 140nm it comes out at 103ft-lb.
Anyone checked their wheel nuts and what settings do you use as I've only just bought the car and want to keep them the correct torque but the manual doesn't make sense with slightly different figures.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
As this was tyre related I thought I would ask about the wheel nut torque, I just read in my new mini electric the settings are either 140nm or 101ft-lb but if you convert 140nm it comes out at 103ft-lb.
Anyone checked their wheel nuts and what settings do you use as I've only just bought the car and want to keep them the correct torque but the manual doesn't make sense with slightly different figures.

Here's a discussion about this from last year that may help:

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The difference makes as near as damn it no difference surely-140 done for ease and someone's maths is out-2 ftlbs? I go for the lower-5 nuts-really and like to look after the locking one!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's a discussion about this from last year that may help:

Seems like many are just as confused.
I've gone for the 103ft-lb as that is closest to the 140nm. Will have to make sure I let dealer service team and any tyre fitters know in future. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only needed on the Mini SE which has the yellow rimmed-plug/socket type wheels-Corona I think they are called? Needed if you buy a new tyre as they won't balance due to the aerodynamic attachements-and shape-ordered one to have in the car but it seems to be on the slow boat from whereever!

Reactions: ventmore

·
Registered
142 Posts
Only needed on the Mini SE which has the yellow rimmed-plug/socket type wheels-Corona I think they are called? Needed if you buy a new tyre as they won't balance due to the aerodynamic attachements-and shape-ordered one to have in the car but it seems to be on the slow boat from whereever!
I got a puncture in the test drive mini I had the other day and it took dealer over a day to get the tool for balancing those wheels, seemed a bit strange a main dealer didn't already have that tool.
Thankfully I went for regular wheels on my car.

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes sopers lincoln were very competitive was surprised tbh!.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Just had to replace one of my rear tyres because of a puncture. I decided to use the main dealer because I figured they'd do the best job of balancing the plug spoke wheels, and they'd probably be less likely to scuff the yellow rim.

I was pleasantly surprised when they quoted me just £100 fully fitted. That's for a star rated Hankook to match the others.

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very reasonable.I was surprised too .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone curbed their corona rims yet?
I talked my wife out of them and into the black tentacles.
I doubt any rim repair guys would be interested in repairing a corona rim once it has some rash on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts