Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Anyone curbed their corona rims yet?
I talked my wife out of them and into the black tentacles.
I doubt any rim repair guys would be interested in repairing a corona rim once it has some rash on it.
Yes it has been done and is an easy repair since the rim isn't diamond turned but painted; the 'yellow' has a specific paint code if you look on the facebook SE forum and so they can match it too.

Reactions: ventmore

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
394 Posts
I’m looking at having to change both front tyres shortly. 15k so far and finding uneven wear on the outer edges. I’ll try the dealer as that sounds like a good price plus I want them to check a slight rattle as I turn left into a junction. I suspect that the numerous pot holes and speed humps have affected alignment. Without the wear on the edge they’re coming close to needing changing anyway which kind of goes against what the dealer quoted when I bought it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have a slight creak when turning left into a junction whilst the motor is braking. There's a TSB for a similar noise which recommends changing the gearbox mount. They changed mine, which seems to have made a small difference, but it's still there.

I also get a very quiet thud (thud makes it sound like it's loud...it's not but that's the type of noise) when slowing to a stop under full regen. If I lift off at say 30MPH and let the car come to a full stop, just as it stops, it makes this thud as though something is dropping back into position. Looking at the gap at the back of the upper motor mount, I'm guessing it is indeed the motor dropping back. They're going to check the motor mounts next time it's in, but I think it's probably normal.

I think the biggest "issue" with the SE is that, it's so quiet, you can hear every noise.

Edit: As for tyres...I fully expect the SE to chew through them because of the instant torque delivery.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
394 Posts
Thanks @ventmore I suspect it’s the same thing as I only notice it under breaking, so sounds the same issue. I’ll contact my dealer to see if I can get it sorted. Traction wise In as straight line it seems to cope well with the torque but it’s noticeable that it struggles a little for grip when accelerating out of a junction. I was hoping to get longer out of the tyres but that’s what all this having fun does for you!!

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
We definitely don't have any thudding when on full regen and slowing from any speed; not a murmur , no creaks either! LAzyLAncer-I need something to use my brake pads-the regen means they're corroding!

Reactions: ventmore

·
Registered
949 Posts
The word thud makes it sound way worse than it is......it's an extremely quiet thud. It may be that I do have a mount issue...I'll let you know if they find anything when it goes in.

I imagine there will be a fair amount of forward movement on the motor when slowing down with full regen...so it may be that it's moving enough to make a noise but it's still within tolerance.

·
Registered
949 Posts
We definitely don't have any thudding when on full regen and slowing from any speed; not a murmur , no creaks either! LAzyLAncer-I need something to use my brake pads-the regen means they're corroding!
If the car hasn't been used in a couple of days, or if it's been raining, then I switch to low regen and use the brakes for a couple of high and low speed stops. If I didn't force myself to use them then I'd probably only activate the brakes maybe 2-3 times a week.

Even so, they still always look terrible compared to the nice shiny discs on my other car. They're also not completely smooth. They're don't have deep grooves but they're definitely a little......wavy. Some posts I've read say the discs should be 100% smooth whilst others say a little waviness is fine. They stop ok so I'm not looking at changing them any time soon. :)

The dark ring in the 2nd photo looks like a deep groove but it isn't.

Rim Automotive design Material property Carbon Hood

Tire Automotive tire Rim Carbon Camera lens

21 - 29 of 29 Posts