Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From 1st April 2017 if you buy a new car you will be hit with a new tax bill. You'll be taxed according to the new CO2 brackets + annual £140 standard tax after the first year for every car + £340 for cars over £40K. For example;

1. A new MINI Cooper F56 with under 120gm CO2 will cost £160 (1st year) to tax annually (£140X4 = £720 for five years) and currently we pay £0 for the first year and £20 anually then after (£80 for 5 years).

And if you decide to buy a car which is over £40K (LIST PRICE) then you will end up paying an additional £310 suppliment tax for the first five years. This means, a BMW 340i with a few options will likely be over 40k. Emissions means a first year tax of £500 + £450 for the next 4 years (then reverts to £140). So from £900 for 5 years tax to £2300.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

·
Registered
844 Posts
I know, that's the Tories for you! A serious hit for us in taxation. Will we see roads and transport improved? I very much doubt it. Worst of all, people will have pay no extra for choosing a car that pumps out a high CO2 level.
Does this mean if I buy a new car prior to 1.4.17 the tax will stay the same for the life of the car?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Worst of all, people will have pay no extra for choosing a car that pumps out a high CO2 level.
Errrr. Not true at all. For the last 8 years or so I've paid a premium at purchase for my "stinky" cars. If i remember correctly, Evo was an extra 995, my 4.2 Diesel A8 was about 800 and the S8 was 1500 or so..

This doesn't mean I agree with this, I don't, but higher emission cars have been penalised at purchase for years.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Although they may keep the same structure of the bands used for charging (under the current system to March 2017), I guess there is nothing to stop them from increasing the charges for each of the bands based on CO2, at any time in future budgets.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Aw well that's part of my justification for the mini going :( with my current £20 changing to £140 a year. Not the end of the world and still less than I was for my 12 yr old golf when I traded, which will also now be £140 :eek:

Another reason for me not to go brand new next time I fear

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think we need to put in perspective, £140 a year works out at £3 a week, we have all bought cars around the £20K mark so although annoying I don't think its going to make that much of a difference.

Don't get me wrong I would rather pay the £20 I currently do but an extra £140 isn't going to stop me buying a new car next time round!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think we need to put in perspective, £140 a year works out at £3 a week, we have all bought cars around the £20K mark so although annoying I don't think its going to make that much of a difference.

Don't get me wrong I would rather pay the £20 I currently do but an extra £140 isn't going to stop me buying a new car next time round!

Sort of agree except a 700% increase is massive and equates to £420 if you keep a car 3 years and I have 2 Minis so its £280 per year or an £840 increase over 3 years:(

·
Registered
56 Posts
This was always going to happen.Although annoying it was never realistic to have VED down as low as £20 or even zero.

The government is taking considerably less in VED now than a few years ago or so I understand it and this goes against the grain for any government .

Call me a cynic but what happens to zero rated electric cars in the future. It probably is the way that cars will go in the future , but now there is a huge amount of oil available, now that the US is fracking, so this may happen later than thought a few years ago,so this has to be taken into account. There is of course the EU emission deals that the UK has unilaterally signed up to but everyone else will ignore

The tax we now call VED may change but it is likely to be on pence per mile ,which has already been suggested and worked on or with electric smart meters that we are all going to have and they will be will be able to tell what appliance uses what power. I would hazard a guess that the top of the list would be an electric car.
They will not let the tax take get smaller on VED. They won't let it happen

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's local council tax that pays for the roads. Which makes me laugh when motorists call out cyclists for not paying road tax!

Many serious cyclists that I know are high rate tax payers so paying more in to the roads system than the people I know that moan!

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Only pure electric cars will be tax free. Hybrids will get taxed the same as ordinary fossil fuel burners. It's about time they saw sense and put road tax on to petrol that way they who use most pay most. So simple! No collection to worry about etc etc.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yep, even bus passengers are probably paying more for the roads through their council tax than they use them. The idea of hard-done-by drivers being a minority that is victimised by the state just shows how many people think someone else should pay for everything.

·
Registered
844 Posts
But in the UK we already have about the highest fuel taxes in the world. Why do we need another tax in the form of VED.
I lived in the states (Hawaii) for 18 months, petrol was dirt cheap and I don't remember paying road tax. You could even make up your own licence plate reg for about $25.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Totally agree kenl the amount of tax we pay is dreadful. I don't want to pay any more and I think we pay enough already. Sadly our wel flare state takes a lot of it and I'm am pretty sure they don't spend what we pay through fuel tax on our roads. Sorry! er

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
And I'm happy to pay for anything if it's value for money but sadly I don't think motorists get that. Potholes galore toll bridges we've paid for many times over. I could go on. If all road tax went on petrol / dieselthe biggest users would be biggest payers. Simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.