Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, This forum is awesome! I have been reading around for a while, and am in the market for a new F56. There are so many options, and I have many questions on the offerings. I was hoping someone could chime in to help me feel more confident pulling the trigger. I have had many cars, including an 06 mini which I bought off the lot, but this will be the first car that I order-- I want to make it count! Sorry in advance for the twenty questions. Here goes:

1) I noticed that lapisluxury blue costs more than the other colors. It seems that there is information about it being similar to the mini yours options ( http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/10/01/mini-individual-catalog-mini-owners/ ). Does it contain additional paint layers or flakes? Or is it just a limited production paint color and that is why it costs more? I have my eye on it and like it a lot.

2) Are you able to open the windows and close the windows using the remote or the comfort access handles on the F56?

3) I read that you could fold the power fold mirrors using the remote if you hold the lock button on the remote. Is that not in the US however?

4) Do the lounge leather seats have seat back pockets even if not ordered with the storage pack? Also do they have lumbar support, and what kind of leather are they?

5) Where is the CD Changer when equipped? Is it in the small compartment in the dash?

6) The LED Cornering lights are a bit confusing. Am I correct that the additional lights inside the housings come on under 25mph, and then the main beams dip in bad weather/above certain speeds? But the additional lights in the housing are not involved in anything over 25 mph? Also can you use your fog lights in conjunction with cornering lights? My old CC would not allow the two simultaneously.

7) When you order led lights and get led tail lights are only the rings led and the brake lights are actually halogen?

8) Does the non s have only 1 rear fog and the s has 2? And is that/they halogen as well?

9) When you unlock the car at night and the lights are in auto, which lights come on as you approach? All of the lights or just the parking lights? And do they stay on automatically when you turn the car off or do you still have to pull the highbeam stalk..?

10) When you order the active driving assistant and there is RSI, will the road sign info always show up in hud/display or only when using nav?

11) Does anyone have the cross bars/roof rails? Are they very loud/ can you still use the sunroof comfortably?

12) Bike rack prep, is that under the bumper (like the old minis where there were 2 circles in the bumper) and you can pop out the inserts and just install the bike rack?

13) when you order autodim mirrors do they dip in reverse?

14) How come if you order the auto dim mirrors (which includes powerfold) and heated seats it is $1,000, but it allows you to order auto dim mirrors and the cold weather pkg for $1,100 when you are paying twice for the powerfold mirrors?

15) Is the mini yours steering wheel similar in thickness to the jcw steering wheel? IE Thicker?

16) what is in the smokers package only the lighter? or the lighter and ashtray?

17) How long is the satellite radio trial for?

18) Do they make phone cradles for anything besides the iphone? And where can you get them?

19) Is there anyway to lock the glovebox? I noticed it no longer has a lock on it like other BMWs. Is it electronic or just cheaper?

20) Does the alarm have an additional button on the remote fob like BMWs? And does it make the audible sound when you lock/unlock?

·
Registered
280 Posts
4) Cow.
5) No.
8) They're red.
13) Only the passenger's
14) because they can?
15) Get the JCW.
16) Ugly habit - just quit.
17) I don't know, but when it runs out, pay NO more than $6.95 a month, for ALL stations. Just dicker with them. But get it anyway. I had to add it and it's a real pain.
1) Just cheaper - no lock.

Just kiddin'.

You'll love the car.

·
Registered
441 Posts
1) Not sure
2) Yes
3) Yes in the UK not sure about other countries
4) Not sure
5) Yes, above glove box
6) Cornering lights adjust focus of beam at speed, and have extra lights in the cluster to illuminate bends.
7) Yes, incandescent brake lights
8) No, all have one fog lamp and it is also incandescent
9) Headlamp and DRLs. You have to pull the stalk to keep them on
10) Not sure
11) Not sure
12) Bike rack prep is two towing eyes suitable for the MINI bike rack
13) If you mean dimming, no. If you mean the passenger wing mirror, yes it moves down to view the kerb (only with powerfold mirrors option though).
14) Pass
15) JCW wheel is thicker and nappa leather (versus regular cow)
16) Not sure
17) Not sure
18) Yes, see dealer for list
19) Not lockable
20) No and no.

Some of the not sures - someone else may be able to answer

·
Registered
12 Posts
1) Yes, Limited production (edition)

2)Yes

3)It is on every model, must be programmed by dealer

4) Yes they do

5) Glovebox

6) Cornering lights help you corner safer and see "around" the corner more, helps more when at speed.

7) Just Fogs

8) Holegen, x2

9) Fogs

10) Personel Preference, you can configure it to do both or either

11) Sunroof has limited visibility depending on which ones you purchase.

12) Yes

14) How come if you order the auto dim mirrors (which includes powerfold) and heated seats it is $1,000, but it allows you to order auto dim mirrors and the cold weather pkg for $1,100 when you are paying twice for the powerfold mirrors?

15) Is the mini yours steering wheel similar in thickness to the jcw steering wheel? IE Thicker?

16) what is in the smokers package only the lighter? or the lighter and ashtray?

18) Do they make phone cradles for anything besides the iphone? And where can you get them?

19) Is there anyway to lock the glovebox? I noticed it no longer has a lock on it like other BMWs. Is it electronic or just cheaper?

20) Does the alarm have an additional button on the remote fob like BMWs? And does it make the audible sound when you lock/unlock?

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
're the roof rails I have them on mine. They then allow you to fit roof bars but I don't leave them on so don't know how noisy they are nor do I have a sunroof. But if you buy the bmw bars they are a 5 minute job to attach. No tools just clamp on self torquing,brilliant design.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Okay...I'll do my best here:

1) I noticed that lapisluxury blue costs more than the other colors. It seems that there is information about it being similar to the mini yours options ( http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/10/01/mi...g-mini-owners/ ). Does it contain additional paint layers or flakes? Or is it just a limited production paint color and that is why it costs more? I have my eye on it and like it a lot.
Limited edition color - haven't seen it in person yet though...

2) Are you able to open the windows and close the windows using the remote or the comfort access handles on the F56?
Yes, windows will open with the remote and if you have comfort access you can use the button on the door to close

3) I read that you could fold the power fold mirrors using the remote if you hold the lock button on the remote. Is that not in the US however?
In the US, you have to use ESYS to code this feature in (not easy, but not hard either, if you're willing to spend the time to learn), powerfold mirrors MUST be equipped

4) Do the lounge leather seats have seat back pockets even if not ordered with the storage pack? Also do they have lumbar support, and what kind of leather are they?
Comes with lumbar support, but I believe the only way to get pockets is with the Storage Package, but get the Storage Package anyway...it's worth it for the extra versatility.

5) Where is the CD Changer when equipped? Is it in the small compartment in the dash?
In the glove box...takes up most of it too, leaving very little usable space... Load your songs on a flash drive - it's 2015.

6) The LED Cornering lights are a bit confusing. Am I correct that the additional lights inside the housings come on under 25mph, and then the main beams dip in bad weather/above certain speeds? But the additional lights in the housing are not involved in anything over 25 mph? Also can you use your fog lights in conjunction with cornering lights? My old CC would not allow the two simultaneously.
Haven't heard about the main beams dipping in bad weather, at least not on a US-spec car... As far as I know, they work with the fogs.

7) When you order led lights and get led tail lights are only the rings led and the brake lights are actually halogen?
Brake lights are halogen, as are the turn signals I believe.

8) Does the non s have only 1 rear fog and the s has 2? And is that/they halogen as well?
If rear fogs are equipped, Coopers have the one in the back, Cooper S models have two, all are halogen.

9) When you unlock the car at night and the lights are in auto, which lights come on as you approach? All of the lights or just the parking lights? And do they stay on automatically when you turn the car off or do you still have to pull the highbeam stalk..?
Lights in the door handles (Welcome lights), and the parking lights, though honestly, I'm don't remember what other lights come on.

10) When you order the active driving assistant and there is RSI, will the road sign info always show up in hud/display or only when using nav?
Shows up while driving, if you have it turned on. Nav does not have to be routing you.

11) Does anyone have the cross bars/roof rails? Are they very loud/ can you still use the sunroof comfortably?
Don't have any experience with anything mounted up there so I couldn't tell you about the noise, but you should be able to use the sunroof. MAKE SURE if you want roof rails, you are adding to your build list. It is VERY pricey to retrofit.

12) Bike rack prep, is that under the bumper (like the old minis where there were 2 circles in the bumper) and you can pop out the inserts and just install the bike rack?
Two ports in the back bumper - covers pop off like the tow hook cover, bike rack goes in and connects to two threaded holes. Similar to how the Countryman bike rack works.

Yes, this is called Automatic Curb Monitor and is equipped with you have powerfold mirrors, which are automatically added with autodim exterior mirrors

If you're doing the auto dim int/ext mirrors, it ends up being more expensive going the Cold Weather package route. Just an example of sometimes packages working against you, based on what you want.

Have yet to see a MINI Yours wheel in person, sorry

Lighter and ashtray...why would you smoke in your MINI?!

1 year, and once your trial is up, they cave very easily on price with a little hardball. I've never paid more than $7/month. Just say you don't need it and watch them chop the price down.

Not many and they are pricey to boot..$250 and you can't use a case. Skip...buy a phone mount instead...

Glovebox does not lock

Yes, if alarm is equipped, you get an extra panic button on the remote. You will also get an audible beep when locking/unlocking and you can choose to turn the noise off through the settings in the car.

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the responses. And siriuszero WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE THOROUGH RESPONSE!! This place rocks!

I have some follow up questions now:

2) So the windows can only open with the remote, and close with comfort access button? Or can you open with both and close with both?

3) Can the dealer code the ESYS for powerfold with lock mirrors?

4) What kind of leather are the lounge seats? Nappa?

5) Is the CD Changer in the lower glove box or the upper mini cubby under the trim?

6) So are the cornering lights the fogs lights? I read that they were the inner lights and that the beams just dipped in bad weather. Mini USA says this:
"These exceptionally crisp headlamps with surrounding LED Rings automatically illuminate your turns with cornering lights, and adjust their angle to the road based on your speed and load. With rain and automatic headlight sensors, they also automatically adjust for both rain and darkness."

12) How does the bike rack stay in place once it is placed in the threaded holes? Are their hooks/releases?

16) I will not be smoking in it, but I hate when cars do not have the cigarette lighter; all 12 cars I have had have had it.

20) Interesting, I noticed there is an additional blank button on the US remote. Maybe it is a US only thing. Also does the alarm add the flashing red light under the mirror with either auto-dim or non auto dim?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
6) So are the cornering lights the fogs lights? I read that they were the inner lights and that the beams just dipped in bad weather. Mini USA says this:
"These exceptionally crisp headlamps with surrounding LED Rings automatically illuminate your turns with cornering lights, and adjust their angle to the road based on your speed and load. With rain and automatic headlight sensors, they also automatically adjust for both rain and darkness."
I did some additional research: http://www.minif56.com/forum/289-mi...n/8338-confused-daytime-running-lights-2.html

Post 19 says that the lights throw the beam further when traveling above a certain speed, but I wonder if that is not in the US?

Post 20 shows the cornering lights in action and you can see the fog light indicator on the dash indicating that they do work in conjunction with the fog lights and that they are not the fogs.

I think the MINI USA explanation above with weather is relating to them coming on when it is dark or raining, so they do not adjust the beam in bad weather.

I also found out that the housings for the two lights are different. http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-any-way-to-tell-the-difference-between.html

Post 2 in that link shows that the housing is black versus gray for the cornering lights, and that there is a chrome ring over the main beam instead of a plastic gray ring. Interesting!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I learned:
1) The map pockets come when your get sport seats whether or not you get the storage package.
2) You only get LED position lights if you order LED fog lights!
3) The anti theft alarm adds the blinking red light under the mirror.
4) Automatic AC has settings with key dependent profiles

What I still cannot find out is:

1) when you order the miniyours trim interior, it says it comes with decorative rings on the air outlets, front speakers, and selection lever. Are these the same chrome pieces that come in the chrome line interior? I noticed the chrome line interior lists decorative rings in chrome for external air outlets, selection lever, chrome hand brake lever cover, door speakers, chrome insert in center instrument, and door handle rings.

2) also, it says the space saver spare is standard on the base model. does it come if you order the run flats/larger wheels? I would like it.

3) It says that adaptive LED lights have city light distribution with more illumination to the sides by activation of the dimmed led cornering lights. What does this mean? It is not the cornering function, I think that the cornering lights come on at a lower intensity when you are driving at certain speeds for me light..

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think you are over-thinking the car.

Just buy the **** thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Hi humercedes. In the UK no spare unless you buy it on any model run flats or not but differed in different markets.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi humercedes. In the UK no spare unless you buy it on any model run flats or not but differed in different markets.
Ditto Jeremy's answer. If you do opt for the spare wheel I think you still need to select the wheel jack as well - or you won't get one!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know you have to opt for either of those in europe, but in the US the compact spare tire is standard on the base mini.

My question is, does it get deleted if you order run flats. There is no mention of this anywhere, but I really want the spare and would not order run flats if it gets deleted.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know you have to opt for either of those in europe, but in the US the compact spare tire is standard on the base mini.

My question is, does it get deleted if you order run flats. There is no mention of this anywhere, but I really want the spare and would not order run flats if it gets deleted.
In the US, spare is only available on base MC. Here's a post on where it's located and how to remove it from the North American Motoring forum.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-there-is-a-spare-and-how-to-get-it-down.html

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You're quite welcome! Where are you located? UK? I have a feeling some of my answers may be region specific (I'm US based). Nevertheless, going to try and tackle your follow up questions too:

Thank you all for the responses. And siriuszero WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE THOROUGH RESPONSE!! This place rocks!

I have some follow up questions now:

2) So the windows can only open with the remote, and close with comfort access button? Or can you open with both and close with both?
I believe the remote can only open, not close, but the door can do both. I'll have one to play with later today and test.

3) Can the dealer code the ESYS for powerfold with lock mirrors?
Haven't heard of dealers changing those settings either because they couldn't, or more likely, they didn't know how. Everything is in German.

4) What kind of leather are the lounge seats? Nappa?

5) Is the CD Changer in the lower glove box or the upper mini cubby under the trim?
In the glove box - picture below:

The angle it refers to is up and down, depending on load. The automatic adjustment for rain and darkness is the auto headlights, turning the headlights on or off automatically in dark or rainy conditions. Cornering lights have a separate light that actually projects out at low speeds. If you look closely at the picture from NAM, you can see the cutout for the light in the housing.

12) How does the bike rack stay in place once it is placed in the threaded holes? Are their hooks/releases?
If it's like the Countryman rack, once they screw in, there is a lever that locks it in place and is lockable by a key.

16) I will not be smoking in it, but I hate when cars do not have the cigarette lighter; all 12 cars I have had have had it.
Are you talking about the bit that actually lights a cigarette or the socket? They will have sockets standard, but not the lighter.

20) Interesting, I noticed there is an additional blank button on the US remote. Maybe it is a US only thing. Also does the alarm add the flashing red light under the mirror with either auto-dim or non auto dim?
The blank button is where the alarm button would be on F56s that have it equipped. 3 buttons without alarm, 4 buttons with.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
SERIOUSZERO you have the best answers ever! I am in the US, and I have some additional follow up questions:

1) when you order the miniyours trim interior, it says it comes with decorative rings on the air outlets, front speakers, and selection lever. Are these the same chrome pieces that come in the chrome line interior? I noticed the chrome line interior lists decorative rings in chrome for air outlets, selection lever, chrome hand brake lever cover, door speakers, chrome insert in center instrument, and door handle rings. Or are they darker chrome pieces? And in that instance if you order the chrome line interior does it override the decorative rings?

2) also, it says the space saver spare is standard on the base model. does it come if you order the run flats/larger wheels? I would like it. I saw the post above said that their base mini had one, but also that they did not have run flats..

3) It says that adaptive LED lights have city light distribution with more illumination to the sides by activation of the dimmed led cornering lights. This is what I have been referencing above as far as my confusion with the city/weather lights. It is not the cornering function, I think that the cornering lights come on at a lower intensity when you are driving at certain speeds for more light..

I found this info here : http://www.mini.dk/_downloads/pdf/Pr...tyr_130314.pdf

I also found out that the housings for the two lights are different. http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...e-between.html
Post 2 in that link shows that the housing is black versus gray for the cornering lights, and that there is a chrome ring over the main beam instead of a plastic gray ring. Interesting!

4) Have you seen a picture of a key on an alarm equipped car? The people in the UK on the forum are saying there is no additional button, but i feel like there would be just like on other BMWs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts