Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I feel BMW did a great job with the new JCW but I feel they have reached the Plato for refinement and can't go any further in that direction IMHO

With the sales of 300bhp hot hatches on the rise do you think is is possible to come up with a solution to handle that level of power and put it down without AWD and the weight this would add

Do you think proper variable dampers would sell to have more settings like M Car that you could select different gear speed change on auto , steering feel and throttle response to program a JCW button?

Is the next step twin turbo? To give even sharper throttle response or everyone happy?

I know with new focus and the likes do you think the JCW is just in a different segment all together and loyal mini followers will buy whatever?

For me Mini may think it's smart charging for a kit for performance exhaust but I think they would sell loads if was factory fit option for say £750 we can all dream

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Derek,

You bring up some good points. I believe almost anything is possible these days as development of new technology continues.

Those of us who were in on the initial offering of the new F56 JCW can probably relate the best when it comes down to "what if's" since many of us were pretty much "in the dark" to all the new JCW features, options, and the car's capabilities. This is especially true when it comes to items like the new automatic transmission vs. the manual. You know how I was in the dark on that one...still happy with the manual, but one reason I shy'd away from the automatic is because it was "so new" and "untested". Buyers of new model cars are "taking a chance" in many areas for their overall ownership experience!

Then again, it also has alot to do about "timing"....when you need to buy a car or when the car you think you want is available for purchase (in my case the manual trans JCW wasn't even available yet, as many know). Why does any manufacturer offer up a model car for sale, then not even allow the basic transmission to be ordered for so long??? There was a scew-up on that one!

As for the pro add-ons, I've said it before...but, why in the world did MINI not offer the front splitters, rear wing aero splitter and the rear diffuser as "STOCK items?" I wasn't even made aware that these features were dealer add-on options before I ordered. I would have certainly considered these options had I known about them. I love the car just stock, but in the end MINI could do a better job explaining all of the features available on their cars!!! Are you listening MINI?

And, don't even get me going about the online configurator....yes, it's fun to play with...but, when it gets down to getting serious about building your car, it lacks a whole lot of details...and some are incorrect (like the 7" wheel width instead of the stated 7.5" on the configurator).

So, what's the solution.....wait until you have learned everything there is to know? Maybe...but then, you can miss out that way too...like missing out on the certain features that were eliminated between the 2015 & 2016 models!

It's always fun to modify any car, but when you can buy a set-up race car to your every desire that will be the best scenario imo...I would have had the lowering springs from the factory...hands down right from the get go, for instance.

I've rambled enough...but I think you all get my point. The new JCW is a great car and time will tell how great it is!

Merry Christmas to all you Miniacs,

John

·
Registered
84 Posts
Personally i think the new JCW is the best car ive ever had upto now. They have got the balance right it is a true road legal race car. If they tried to pump anymore horsepower into it without AWD it would lose its character. You only need to look at the new civic type R to see what happens when you overcook things its plain ugly, overpowered and expensive compared to the JCW. I do like the new focus RS great car but again very pricey to run and keep compared to the JCW. So will be intresting where MINI can go next to keep us die hard fans and new ones happy.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Already had a 300 bhp mini ( well within 10-15 hp)
Mechanical LSD, coilovers and negative camber on 215/45/17 tyres
Good road manners and reliability
Only a 2005 supercharged R53, hardly rocket science,

I'm sure the F56 GP if such a thing is in the pipeline will be good for 280 ponies, on the basis mini will be charging top dollar again it needs to be

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I think all next Gen Hardtops will have 3 cylinders. The JCW will get a version of the i8's power unit..:|
Peter,

Pics of Pepper White please!!!! :D Did I miss them somewhere?

John

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Already had a 300 bhp mini ( well within 10-15 hp)
Mechanical LSD, coilovers and negative camber on 215/45/17 tyres
Good road manners and reliability
Only a 2005 supercharged R53, hardly rocket science,

I'm sure the F56 GP if such a thing is in the pipeline will be good for 280 ponies, on the basis mini will be charging top dollar again it needs to be
A competent remap will achieve close to that now if you are willing to sacrifice warranty, or spend what it takes to "unmap" it prior to warranty service. The 2.0 engine will handle it, however, the drive train components are another matter. It (the drive train) will probably handle it and produce amazing performance, albeit possibly short-lived.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
There are also plug and play units available that will produce another 10 to possibly 20-25 horsepower dependent upon fuel that can easily be installed and removed without any way to trace their installation or removal as stated by their advertisers.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
285bhp is realistic, the current 6 speed auto will top out much above that, but the new 8 speed in the Clubbie may do better. The rumour mill for the JCW Clubman is a tweaked version of the 328 motor on a modified ZF auto box. Stick that in a 3 door hatch and it will be quick, very quick....

That said, I too agree that the JCW should at least come with an option of a "plus" kit to add the front & rear splitters and spoiler extensions, plus the Pro exhaust.

However, I must say, for a car that can be an everyday driver, the JCW is a great deal of fun. Similar in price to an M135i, the baby beamer is quicker, but nowhere near as much fun. Importantly, with MINI you also get all the social side, the clubs etc, and everybody loves them. The amount of people who say "Nice car" or similar amazes me.

If a 300bhp AWD Clubbie happens, I think it could be a masterstroke by Mini....

·
Registered
199 Posts
To actually raise the performance bar, you have to snip the low-hanging fruit of the current one. The car absolutely needs wider stickier tires, and at that point it'll need more power. BMW has spent an awful lot of R&D money on the B-series engines, so let's just say the next JCW will end up with the G11 7-er's 258 HP & 295 LbFt "high tune" version of what we have already. That's cute and all, but I'm thinking the addition of at least a mild hybrid will be needed to improve FE as well as total power and possibly a more active torque vectoring system.

The suspension kinematics are already the best they've ever been in a MINI by a long shot, but spending more money on damper technology would help ride and handling.

I feel the brakes are the best part of the JCW. The added mild hybrid would have to be carefully calibrated to not mess it up.

Lastly, they have to improve the exterior aesthetics. The fish mouth with the scared cat headlights is still a face only a mother can love.

·
Registered
266 Posts
MINI could do a better job explaining all of the features available on their cars!!! Are you listening MINI?

So, what's the solution.....wait until you have learned everything there is to know? Maybe...but then, you can miss out that way too...like missing out on the certain features that were eliminated between the 2015 & 2016 models!

It's always fun to modify any car, but when you can buy a set-up race car to your every desire that will be the best scenario imo...I would have had the lowering springs from the factory...hands down right from the get go
I think you hit the nail on the head there. If I could have configured JCW Pro parts on the mini configurator then I would have spent all that money up front knowing it would be on my car before delivery and also I didn't even know about all the pro parts until I joined these forums, at which point it was too late. Now that I know they have to be ordered in and installed again by the dealer is making me more hesitant in spending the cash.

Mini has always been about customising the look of the car inside and out, how about they give us all the JCW Pro performance related customisations from the get go as well! Surely it would actually benefit them financially in the long run too.

Oh and why the front splitter, rear diffuser and spoiler extension is not bolted onto the JCW by default is a crime :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.