Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I quite fancy one, with the matching keyring too, but they are way too expensive. From what I have heard you can program the NFC chip in them with an app (called Trigger, I think) on your phone. Then, whenever you scan the chip, your phone will activate the actions.

I'd use it to toggle Bluetooth, scan it to turn it on as I get into the car and scan it again to turn it back off as I leave the car.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yep thats how it works - in theory. However be aware that NFC does not work with iphone/ios at all. It only works with android and the feature it can turn on is mini connected, which is pretty much featureless on android. Makes it a bit pointless really. I had one and returned it. The lanyard is pretty nice though

·
Registered
190 Posts
I paid about £25 for the red JWC one, and only later discovered that it doesn't work with the iPhone. I kept it 'cos the nice lady at the dealer had already fitted it for me. It's a nice colour, but...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried to open the battery chamber on my new mini key fob but its really hard and the plastic bends but doesn't open, any tips on how to do it safely ?

I want to take the U shape plastic off all together so it would fit my small jeans pocket. possible ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
NFC, is looks like a kind of Bluetooth connectives, control and share files.

and mini connect could open internet in your screen via your phone!

How does NFC and mini connect and mobile phone work together?

Please point me if I am wrong, thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
NFC, is looks like a kind of Bluetooth connectives, control and share files.

and mini connect could open internet in your screen via your phone!

How does NFC and mini connect and mobile phone work together?

Please point me if I am wrong, thanks.
NFC is Near Field Communication, when you bring two objects with NFC, in this case your phone and the Key, together, they communicate.

Here is a step by step on how to program and use the NFC chip in the key:

First you download an NFC chip programming app, such as Trigger. Within this app you can set what you want the Key to do when you scan it with your phone.

This can be anything from simply showing your information if you lose the key and someone finds it, to turning Bluetooth on, launching MINI Connected, and starting your navigation app.

Once you have set what you want the chip to do in the app, you click the "write" button. It will then ask you to scan and hold the NFC chip to the back of the phone. It should only take a second or two and once the app says "Successful" you can then move the chip away from the phone.

Now, whenever you scan your key with your phone, whatever you set in the app will happen, each and every time, unless you reprogram the key to do something else.

You must have a phone that has NFC on it, otherwise it is useless to you.

Reactions: MsGTS

·
Registered
998 Posts
I tried to open the battery chamber on my new mini key fob but its really hard and the plastic bends but doesn't open, any tips on how to do it safely ?

I want to take the U shape plastic off all together so it would fit my small jeans pocket. possible ?
It takes a bit of force. On the back face where it is embossed MINI, at the square end there is a slot/recess in the pastic. You need to get something in here to twist it open. Once this is off the U piece can be removed but i think this leaves some metal connectors exposed and its not smooth so would catch in your pocket

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had one thrown in when I bought the Mini. I programmed it to turn on Bluetooth on my Nexus5. Since then I've bought a Pebble so I leave Bluetooth on all the time. So all it is now is a handy way to tell the two keysfobs apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting replies. Like many others I have an iPhone so apart from looking different it won't be any use to me. Thanks to all, Ive saved £22 due to your comments!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts