Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the NM module and I have been pleased with its performance. I have run it on the low setting since I originally installed it. I am planning on running 100 octane fuel and switching it to the high setting. Have any of you already done this? If so, is there a learning period required for it to fully realize the additional power? And, when you switch back to 93 or whatever octane and change the switch back to the low setting does the module/ECU remember the original setting or is it required to relearn the low setting?

· Registered
266 Posts
I have the NM module and I have been pleased with its performance. I have run it on the low setting since I originally installed it. I am planning on running 100 octane fuel and switching it to the high setting. Have any of you already done this? If so, is there a learning period required for it to fully realize the additional power? And, when you switch back to 93 or whatever octane and change the switch back to the low setting does the module/ECU remember the original setting or is it required to relearn the low setting?
Apparently 20 minutes of normal driving to readjust timings according to the NM print-out that came with my module. I would ask NM themselves this question though.

Reactions: KYDan

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently 20 minutes of normal driving to readjust timings according to the NM print-out that came with my module. I would ask NM themselves this question though.
This appears to be the consensus opinion on this as I posted the question on the NAM site as well. I also sent an email to NM, but they have not responded yet.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
High octane fuel has never been known for getting good gas mileage...lol! In the good old days when I put Sunoco 260 in my 450+ hp Corvette engine that 105 octane got me about 8 to 12 mpg around town! Of course the 4:10 positraction rear end had something to do with that too! That big Holley carb was real thirsty! Technology has improved fuel efficiency in modern cars for sure but mileage will go down regardless.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the response from NM.
The ECU will adapt to the 100 octane almost instantly, say a few minutes depending on how much 93 fuel left in the system. The same thing will happen when you switch back to 93. Don’t worry about switching the setting right away, do it at your convenience. Our module still lets the ECU to adapt to different conditions, including ambient temperature, fuel grade/quality, different drivers, etc. it is not that sensitive. If it sees something it doesn’t like the safety protocols will kick in and let you know.

I am going with Sunoco 260 GT +, 104 octane and I will arrange a dynomometer run with it. It may be awhile as I have a plethora of other things going on for the near future. But, I will post the results.

· Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I have a friend that works at one of the companies HQed at VIR. I'm pretty sure they have a dyno on site. I'm gonna check into it and schedule a dyno session after the weather starts to cool off. I know it'll make more power in cooler, denser air. They also have racing fuel in the pumps at the track. I look forward to seeing your results Dan.

· Registered
320 Posts
I just love the pursuit of horsepower :) If only we had fuel in the UK called Sunco 260 GT+ I'd buy it! Superunleaded hasnt got the same ring :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.