Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Got it...also love it. I installed it on top of a factory JCW Powerkit and they play well together. It is easy to install, produces noticeable power and I like the switch for 100 Octane and 91 Octane. I also installed NM engineering's front strut bar, rear sway bar and end links. All quality stuff. At this point the only thing I'd change is the brakes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like i will have to get it then! When you say noticeable,.... How noticeable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have one, and a burger stage 1 as well. The power from the NM module is noticeably stronger. The difference with and without the NM is night and day. Can't run mine on high setting even with high octane though as it causes my motor to knock under load in the low RPM range.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
With the module set to high and running 94 octane it worked fine with my stock MCS motor. Now that I have the JCW Pro Tuning Kit installed I have to limit it to the low setting. If I fill up with 100+ octane I might try the high setting again. The combination of the tuning kit and the NM module has been tested on the dyno at 268 BHP and 300 Ft lbs torque.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like i will have to get it then! When you say noticeable,.... How noticeable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not dynoed mine like Vetsvette...but my setup is the same. I notice that in regular driving mode the car feels quicker, and when I push it in sport mode I get more tire chirping than I used to. I have not gotten any knocking @ 100 octane.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Do any of you have any problems with warning messages of any kind after installing the PowerModule? Heard that is a problem with many of the ECU upgrades for the F56 JCW but am hoping that as the PowerModule is not a direct ECU upgrade that this problem would be avoided.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
No problem at all. All the module does is allows a higher boost level. In low setting I believe it's an additional 3.5 pounds and high setting is 5 pounds. That's why I went with the low setting with the JCW Tuning Kit. It will run in the high setting, but actually makes less power than the low setting (with 94 octane) because the ECU backs off on the timing curve to prevent pre-detonation (knock). With the standard MCS engine the high setting is fine with a minimum 93 octane. Factory JCW and JCW Tuning Kit I would recommend low setting unless running racing fuel (100+ octane). YMMV

·
Registered
217 Posts
No problem at all. All the module does is allows a higher boost level. In low setting I believe it's an additional 3.5 pounds and high setting is 5 pounds. That's why I went with the low setting with the JCW Tuning Kit. It will run in the high setting, but actually makes less power than the low setting (with 94 octane) because the ECU backs off on the timing curve to prevent pre-detonation (knock). With the standard MCS engine the high setting is fine with a minimum 93 octane. Factory JCW and JCW Tuning Kit I would recommend low setting unless running racing fuel (100+ octane). YMMV
Thanks man! There are a few tuners that do the NM Power module for a reasonable price and since I am having so much difficulty in sourcing a Remus or JCW Pro aftermarket muffler I am thinking that this would be the best use of my cash (the other choice was a carbon fiber airbox made and serviced by Japan Mini (will add a picture of this below). With regard to the PowerModule, in addition to the performance gains, do you notice any differences accoustically? In other words does it get louder or backfire more in certain rev bands after the change?

·
Registered
217 Posts
LOL forgot to add the picture and the edit function doesn't allow adding pictures...

The Amsechs airbox goes for about 100,000 yen (same price as NM Power module) and includes installation and K&N filter - looks really nice and many people say it makes the engine sound quite a bit nicer but I am not expecting any hp gains so the Power Module is definitely more appealing...

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Love the intake, but not for $845. Tell you what. I'll send you a NM Power Module and you send me one of those intakes.
In Japan, an NM Power Module is the same price as the carbon intake - only reason I was thinking of doing the intake instead of the Power Module is worries about getting a string of error messages and possibly voiding my warranty.

With regard to the added performance of the NM Power Module - is it apparent only in Sports Mode with the shifter to the left or is there a noticeable difference in any of the other modes (which I find pretty lethargic)?...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I am working on having the pro exhaust installed sometime this spring and also considering a ECM module, but I have not found much information or anyone that has installed one on a factory F56 JCW. I contacted ECM, but they had not tested one on the JCW yet. Anyone aware of someone that has installed one on the JCW? I have noted that the F56 JCW has considerably more oomph that the R56 JCW.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Check with Jerry at NM Engineering. He can probably help you out.

Tel: (800) 423.3623 ( Continental US only, except California)
(805) 388.7171 (Alaska, California, Hawaii and International)
Thanks, I checked with them about 2 months ago and they didn't have anything tested for the Factory JCW. I will give them a call.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I just checked with NM and they have not tested it on a factory JCW. I will wait and see if they do or if someone else has it and has some documented difference in output, rather than seat of the pants feelings. Guinea pigs have short life spans. Sooner or later they will test it on one on their dynomometer and publish the results.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just had the NM Power Module installed a few hours ago - they were so confident I'd like it that the installed it and said I should take my car out for a spin for a few hours before deciding if I wanted to pay for it...

If I had to summarize my early impressions in a single word it would be "WOW"!!!! This has to be the best "bang for the buck" upgrade I've ever bought (and thats for about 15 sports cars that I've bought and tuned over the past 30 years I've been in Japan!). I can't believe how much more powerful the car feels in almost every gear - it doesn't "transform" the car into something it wasn't before, but it certainly feels a good 10-15% stronger in almost every situation I tried (highway, street, overtaking, flooring it, stop light starts etc) - basically it feels like a JCW that has been seriously pumping iron in the gym - very happy! :)

Reactions: Blue al and KYDan

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have committed to upgrading to the JCW pro exhaust, and I have made arrangements to have it installed. I will see how much that improves performance before I attempt anything else concerning power upgrades. Thanks for the post.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts