Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specs:

NM lowering springs
NM 22mm Rear Sway bar with NM rubber bushings and factory mounts set on full stiff setting (first hole)

So... after installing my new NM springs and sway bar, i have a super loud creaking coming from the rear of the car. I went back to my shop yesterday, took everything back apart in the rear, used all of the grease that came with the sway bars and the creaking seems worse now.

The creaks is most prevalent on accel\decel, not when going over bumps or speed bumps.

I have been super happy with the ride of the springs and the handling improvement but the sways are really bugging me. Has anyone else had this problem? Did you use a different grease or wrap with teflon? i have aftermarket sway bars on 2 bmws (e30 and mroady) and have never had any noise from them.

thanks for the assist everyone, i did a search first and didn't see any threads on this. I sent an email to Jerry as NM also.

Tony

·
Registered
763 Posts
You said factory mounts, did you not upgrade to the NM endlinks? I would start there, the factory links are plastic, the stiffer bar at the full stiff setting could be causing too much stress on the factory endlinks and bushings.
Did you leave any factory bushings back there or replace them all with polly? Mix matched bushings can cause squeaking since the poly ones are stiffer and can cause more work for OEM bushings making them squeak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You said factory mounts, did you not upgrade to the NM endlinks? I would start there, the factory links are plastic, the stiffer bar at the full stiff setting could be causing too much stress on the factory endlinks and bushings.
Did you leave any factory bushings back there or replace them all with polly? Mix matched bushings can cause squeaking since the poly ones are stiffer and can cause more work for OEM bushings making them squeak.
i used the supplied rubber bushings with the factory brackets. I assumed that NM wouldn't sell that combination if it was not compatible. I am using the factory end links as well. I dont have any poly on the car. I have used that on my e30 and i know how much noise gets transmitted when you go that route.

I will try backing the bar off to the low setting and see if that helps

thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
As said it does seem that something somewhere is not lubricated/greased or something is is putting too much strain on the bushes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so.... this is all my fault

was at the alignment shop today and we realized i had the sway bar in upside-down\reversed. it was impacting some metal tabs that hang down on each side

came home after work, swapped it around correctly and bam no more issues

thanks for all the advice everyone!

·
Registered
12 Posts
so.... this is all my fault

was at the alignment shop today and we realized i had the sway bar in upside-down\reversed. it was impacting some metal tabs that hang down on each side

came home after work, swapped it around correctly and bam no more issues

thanks for all the advice everyone!
Does this photo show that my sway bar is upside down?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts