Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its official....EPA problems with 2015's in the USA. Delayed til October. Mine is sitting in Port of NY and will do so for another 2 months. Really sucks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supposedly the numbers are off and mini needs to redo the testing. Results are not expected until end of August and then they are going to delay delivery til the vehicles are wholesaled to the dealers which is oct 1. Sucks. My car will spend a little over 2 months sitting in. Bayonne nj. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Very heavy sigh.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If my car was sitting in a port for two months I would personally reject it. Salt and cars don't mix, and to be surrounded by salty air 24/7 for two entire months, I would think some damage would be done. Possibly not right away, but you might find the underside of the car rusts quicker, or the paint rusts quicker.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not great karbair :-( I know exact how you're feeling - my mini was delivered to my dealer mid- March and was two days from being handed over to me, when the diesel issue arose. It ended up being stuck there for 3 months before I finally got it. Soooo frustrating that it's so close, yet so far away. But it *is* worth the wait I promise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Metalpetal......I know it will be. Technically my car was not due to come til then anyway. It was not even supposed to go into production til first week of August, so I guess it is Karma. I just have to deal with my piece of junk 12 Chevy Cruze a few more months. The lease is not up til October anyway.

Scotsman....I thought of that. Given there is a 12-year unlimited mile rust thru warranty, it minimizes the risk. It is in the early days of all this so I will give it a week to get all the details out. My dealer just got the EPA bulletin yesterday from Mini Corporate. Supposedly, Mini is going to "make this right" by their customers. No details on what that means just yet. I may try to petition to get the car here in Rochester sooner rather than later. They can't sell it to me, but at least it will be in its "home climate".

·
Registered
844 Posts
If my car was sitting in a port for two months I would personally reject it. Salt and cars don't mix, and to be surrounded by salty air 24/7 for two entire months, I would think some damage would be done. Possibly not right away, but you might find the underside of the car rusts quicker, or the paint rusts quicker.
Should be fine. Cars throughout the world sit by the sea. Salt on the roads over a long winter are more likely to be an issue.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think salt would be too much of an issue, as they're on the boat coming to us, in my case, for six weeks at sea. Then they sit at port for two weeks before being released from quarantine.

What concerns me is that Mini is still having issues with their cars, almost six months on ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jc.....my thoughts too. The 2015 has been out in Europe since early this year. And an EPA problem? That should have been done months ago. I think mini had too many 2014s that still needed to be delivered and they made this up. But that is my opinion only

·
Registered
18 Posts
This does suck. I guess I don't regret not placing my order earlier. My due date was early October anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Jc.....my thoughts too. The 2015 has been out in Europe since early this year. And an EPA problem? That should have been done months ago. I think mini had too many 2014s that still needed to be delivered and they made this up. But that is my opinion only
Mini doesn't have very many 2014's on the shore that aren't spoken for. They are behind in sales due to the factory problems that occurred. My dealer has 3 or 4 on hand at best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I posted the following in the US forum and I will re-post here for people who are open to other cars. Unless you absolute have to have a Mini, you may be able to find a good deal on other European cars.

"I haven't seen my 2014 order because of some VDC drama and my patient is running thin. Mini needs to understand that the car business, just like flat screen TV, cell phone, and other electronic products, price is closely related to time to market. Some deals are popping out in the last month here in SF bay area, probably due to C class's model change discount and drags down 3-series price together. For example, Mt. View BMW has a 2014 BMW 328i on display at Costco in Sunnyvale CA. MSRP was $43500 and now listed for $38070. Maybe some MCS buyers would be interested. It's a premium package plus navigation. Truecar.com is even sweeter that it adds the luxury line package for similar price from Berkeley BMW. A C250 was $40995 and is now $36929 at Costco. Volvo is offering $7000 off 2014 S60 which has MSRP between $37000-$42000. Sure these cars are for different market segments but some buyers may be willing to compromise. I would love to see Mini being force into pricing war with other manufactures because of its delay/mishap. Unfortunately, Mini won't feel the pain until way after their dealers."

I wish those who ordered will get satisfactory answers from Mini and no more drama for myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was told last Wednesday I might be able to get a loaner MINI, courtesy of BMW and the dealer. They are still working out the logistics and there was no promise implied.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts