Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The biggest disappointment about my new F55 (and it isn't a huge one) so far is the lack of an ability to give a polite honk. I used to tap the horn gently in my F55 in certain situations like saying hi to a friend passing by. It was easy to do a small polite honk. Sometimes I'd use it when somebody missed a green light and I didn't want to sound angry.

Not my F55 is great and all but I noticed the other day when I went to honk that no sound comes out unless I press the horn relatively hard and then it's a full fledged HONK, not a nice little polite honk.

Has anybody noticed this as well? Just wondering if it's the expected behavior of the horn on the new Minis...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Another thread indicates this is due to improper assembly of the horn cover on the steering wheel, and can be corrected by the dealer. Worth a shot at your next service.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thread indicates this is due to improper assembly of the horn cover on the steering wheel, and can be corrected by the dealer. Worth a shot at your next service.

That is very good to know. I'll check on it next time. For now I can live with it but it would be nice if my car was perfect.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Yell out the window it will give you instant result. People will think you are crazy and clear the way.:laugh::laugh::laugh: Btw I never had to use my horn so far now I have something else to check.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
There's a learned technique here can be done if pressed in the right place. Practice needed!

Reactions: jax

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So how likely is it as somebody above said that it could be an improper assembly and how likely is it that it's just the way the horn works now?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Only time I ever honked was when I got my JCW inspected & I just tapped on it near the bottom & it barked a polite little "beep"...I've not experienced this problem.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only time I ever honked was when I got my JCW inspected & I just tapped on it near the bottom & it barked a polite little "beep"...I've not experienced this problem.
My 2016 F55s either emits a loud !!HONNNNNK!!or nothing at all. Glad yours works as expected. Maybe it is something that can be adjusted by the dealer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mine has literally just caught me out with this!

Beeping kindly at a friend whilst driving through work and out comes a loud abrupt and aggressive BEEP!

Almost felt guilty!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am taking my car in for a "complimentary end of summer checkup" on Thursday before work. It's just over a month old but they called me and said they'd give me a free car wash and a free gift as well as a general checkup so I though why the **** not. It'll be a good opportunity to ask about the horn and a few other quirks of my new car. I kind of think that's just the way the new horn is but somebody on this thread mentioned that it might be a steering wheel assembly issues so it doesn't hurt to ask. I'll let you guys know what I hear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought this was a fault with mine! Quick press the horn and nothing happens! But then you press and hold and it peeps. There most definitely is a delay, I've resorted to blinding bad drivers with my full-beams instead.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Mini tech was sort of rude and dismissive of me. He didn't want to look at it at all and said if I wanted them to look at it I'd have to come back another day despite me being the first guy in and having an appointment. We tested it against another Mini though and it was roughly similar but maybe that one could be adjusted too. Maybe I'll ask again some day at another dealership but Momentum Mini always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got my F55 on March 16th... I find the horn sounds feeble but also needs a good hard press of the centre of the wheel... I'm thinking a new horn is in order, something a bit better sounding!
Any recommendations?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts