Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we've a 2017 f55s basic with sport, storage packages with auto paddle shifters. I bought 2 pairs of fancy puddles lights a couple of months ago prior to getting our Mini and today I go to install but there's absolutely no basic puddle lights on the doors. :crying: I can see where the light would be if... , anyone one knows if the doors puddle light wiring behind the door panels?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Is there a rubber or plastic rectangular plug in the center bottom of the door? If so, pull it out carefully as there is a lip on the end. You can work it loose and tell which end had the plastic piece that holds it in. If the door is wired you will find it there. It has a small male plug on the end of 4 wires.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Picture?

I thought all F-chassis MINIs had puddle lights.....or it could be another in a long line of weird regional differences...

Reactions: vetsvette

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I rechecked and verified our Mini has no puddle lights, the plastic door panel has an indention so to say as to where I'd assume the puddle light be situated at. It doesn't have a blank cover over the spot and just a solid plastic piece of door panel. If I really really really want to install the puddle lights I'd have to modify and cut the panel for fitment(scary). I'd have to pull door panels to see if wires exist:( If having to do that, might as well spend more money on better door speakers. Geez

This was an Nov. 2016 build shipped to the US

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I thought they were in the metal base of the door underside; very odd and as a bove another regional oddity!
A quick trawl on here seems to think they are part of the 'excitement ' pack!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Figuring out the options on these cars almost requires an AI anymore. My MA admits to being befuddled by my questions about ambient lights, secret compartments, etc. etc. He ends up having to go out on the floor to find an identically provisioned car to verify if a feature exists or not.

Which can be problematic because my car is so weird for an AZ MINI. Manual transmission JCW? Waaaaa? So to paraphrase one of our esteemed genius politicians, "I have to buy the car to see what's in it".

It's actually kind of exciting. Like opening a mystery present. MINI God taketh away, but MINI God also giveth.

11 days. Oh lord. Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? :confused:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Just an FYI Outmotoring has a cool replacement unit that will project a mini John Cooper Works logo on the ground when you open the door! I think the set is about $30.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I always thought from watching youtube videos that it was situated in the plastic door panel as some having to trim some plastic to fit the slightly larger replacement puddle body. I'll go and check the metal door underside this eve, hope it's there:|
on another note as I browse our local Mini dealership's inventory via online I noticed this under the interior specs heading:

Remote Keyless Entry w/Integrated Key Transmitter, 2 Door Curb/Courtesy and Illuminated Entry

we don't have the Remote Keyless Entry option so... and why I may not have the puddle lights

·
Registered
134 Posts
On mine the lamps are a roughly 2" x 3/4" oblong mounted in the bottom of the plastic door trim, about 2/3 of the way back from the hinges.
There is also a separate lamp in the door mirror (driver's side only) that projects the MINI logo on the ground.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On mine the lamps are a roughly 2" x 3/4" oblong mounted in the bottom of the plastic door trim, about 2/3 of the way back from the hinges.
There is also a separate lamp in the door mirror (driver's side only) that projects the MINI logo on the ground.
you could have 2 mini logo's or 2 different light projections on the driver side;) if wanted. that must be specific to your model or an option of sorts.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Got the mini logo shining from our wing mirror on the drivers side in our Clubman-part of a package (i think!).

·
Registered
134 Posts
you could have 2 mini logo's or 2 different light projections on the driver side;) if wanted. that must be specific to your model or an option of sorts.
Yes, it's probably part of a pack of options - this is a UK car with the chilli pack and some other stuff. (We didn't spec it, it was dealer stock that was the best match to my requirements.)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I know features change from year to year. I had 3 R55's the last one a JCW didn't have puddle lights in the rear doors where the earlier ones did. Cost cutting I'm afraid to say..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sounds like on 2017MY F56/F55 MINIs, puddle lights are not standard. They are now part of a lighting package that also includes the welcome lights on the door handles and the ability to change the interior ambient light colors.

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
281 Posts
I thought they were in the metal base of the door underside; very odd and as a bove another regional oddity!
A quick trawl on here seems to think they are part of the 'excitement ' pack!
Spot on, part of the excitement pack.
Sadly I don't have this pack on mine so no puddle lights which was a big disappointment to be honest.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I guess the excitement pack came with my JCW when I ordered it as I did not order an excitement pack. It already offers exciting performance for me! I know the lights will change colors as Paula switches them around every so often. And, it does have the lights under the door handles as well. We have plenty of excitement with the way I drive anyway, Paula hangs on to the oh sh__ handle regularly! That's when I know I am driving the mini properly.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As of MY2017, Excitement Package is standard on the Convertible and Clubman, but not on the Hardtops or Countryman. On the Hardtop, it's part of the Premium Package or available as a standalone, on the Countryman, it's standard on the Cooper S and S ALL4 and on the Cooper, it's available as a standalone.

On 3rd gen MINIs, it was standard on MY2014-2016.

Again, all this is assuming US market.

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
2 Posts
Puddle lights were were not standard the MY2017 F56 Cooper S we built here in Canada. You needed to add the excitement light option which was only included in the style package.

The odd part is the door handle still came with the lights in the door cups and on the bottom of the handle. I wonder if they can be coded in to work... I coded 4V9 to the vehicle (excitement lights) but they still won't light up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts