Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I open my car doors, he makes a sort of whirring, hydraulic sound. It always makes me think he is about to transform like my own little red Transformer. Does anyone know what that sound really is or what it does?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Whenever I open my car doors, he makes a sort of whirring, hydraulic sound. It always makes me think he is about to transform like my own little red Transformer. Does anyone know what that sound really is or what it does?
I'd imagine that the sound you're referring to is the window dropping by a small amount... it does this (and the reverse action) to ensure that you get a perfect seal between the frameless glass & rubber seal.... Voila!!

·
Registered
441 Posts

there are two noises activated by opening the door - the steering lock deactivating, and the fuel pump priming.

I suspect you're referring to the latter.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thank you, my friend. Not quite as exciting as transforming, but at least I know what he's doing now!

If you want to be sure, place your ear near the rear right-hand seat base and get someone to open the door to make the noise and you should hear it louder

It won't do it all the time, only when the control unit senses the pressure is too low to start.

I checked realoem and it's not a submersible type, so it should be quite apparent near the seat base.

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Yes , love the heart beat, apparently it is about the right speed!And like to I love the priming noise, very techy] I agree crimguy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Healthy noises or otherwise?

Cool, now I know the whirling sound comes from!:)

My 5-door MC (with just over 1,000 miles) makes the following noises:
- in first gear and in reverse, as I ease off the clutch, there is a low rumbling noise
- in start-stop, as it's stopping there is a kind-of soft continuous "cough" and it ends with what sounds like a pipe draining and it lightly shudders to a stop
- clicking sound driving in 3rd, just before I go into 4th. Sounds like it comes from under the steering.

Are these "normal" noises or should I be worried?

Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is the kind of nerdy thing I love. "my" car is bristling with very high tech tech, but I went for a play with Hurbert's toys today and I was just grinning like a tit and giggling at how achingly cool it all is.

Just goes to show that the old saying "Little girls grow up to be women, little boys grow up to be big little boys" is so true!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.