Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Clubman, Feb built 2016, is in again to try and fix the passenger seat. I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue? The passenger seat makes a metal click or popping noise either upon acceleration/deceleration or if it's really bad, when you move around in the seat. It's as if something is shifting with a metal on metal noise, almost a creek in a way. At first we thought it was just ours until the service tech and I tried out a few other Clubmans with lumbar and they made the noise simply when you would move around. Then we found out today when we picked up our loaner, a 2017, that it's not just those with lumbar like we previously thought. The loaner is worse than the one I own. Apparently the Clubman has a completely redesigned seat than the other Mini models. Since just about every Clubman at the dealership is doing this to varying degrees I figured that there has to be others out there who are experiencing it, right? By the way I am 6 foot and 211 pounds and my wife is 5'4" and much less than me but it has made the noise on her.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My car does not do that. I have the power seats. Your description has me thinking it is the seat tracks moving. My tracks are "connected" to the runners by worm gears, and yours (assuming non power) are connected by ratchet teeth. What you hear could be the gear teeth banging if the spring isn't strong enough. If you grab the seat at the base and try yanking it back and front can you create the sound?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer has been very good so far at trying to fix this. I also have a feeling that this may end up becoming a campaign throughout the Clubman platform since I have ran into several cars doing this to varying degrees. If you grab the seat there is no noise but I too feel that it is in the mechanism you are talking about. I have mentioned this to the Service Advisor but I don't think he listens to me. It usually takes a dealership a bit before they realize I am not your average car owner. It's as if something is shifting/rubbing out of place one way and then shifting back the other way when there is someone in the seat. In other words, you accelerate forward and something shifts making a popping noise. Increased acceleration will not cause it to do it again in that same direction but it will shift back and make the noise upon deceleration. As it gets worse it does it more frequent and easier allowing for it to happen with lighter individuals who sit in the seat. I just wanted to post this on here to see if anyone else was having this issue and if so what was being done to fix the issue. Plus, I wanted to post this for those who have issues in the future.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

pity dealer people are not good at problem solving and narrowing things down ...

As much as they should fix it for your

It will be very peaceful and satisfying if you can id the problem ...

Maybe something is not tight ...

Also another thing with noises in the car is that sometime you maybe think its coming from one place while its coming from somewhere else

Better if someone else is driving to be sure of where exactly it comes from ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely coming from the seat as you can feel it in your back with those seats that have lumbar and if you place your hand on the back of the seat you can feel it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Narrowed it down with talking to the tech to the mechanism that is in the lower part of the seat and connects it to the upper portion. Can't order parts so a new bottom seat is on order.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Initially they didn't because of how many other ones they had were doing the same thing. Then after talking today I convinced them that enough was enough and lets get a new part. I mentioned this because there was no one else complaining on their new purchases and those that we tested were loaner cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, my 2016 F56 3 door has done this from new, just the drivers seat.

The dealer has been unable to find the fault, despite me having taken a video of the issue with my phone. It is worse when the car is warm and the seat tilt mechanism hasn't been used for some time. It seems to come from the ratchet mechanism on the seatbelt buckle side of the seat and clicks or cracks can be felt when I shift my weight on the seat.

It is pretty annoying and happens for both myself and my wife. I guess I will just have to live with it:(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why would you have to deal with it? It sounds like it's the exact same issue I am having. Since the mechanisms on the driver seat are just flipped to the other side for the passenger seat it may be the same part causing the problem. What have they done so far for you York? Have they tried replacing the seat?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why would you have to deal with it? It sounds like it's the exact same issue I am having. Since the mechanisms on the driver seat are just flipped to the other side for the passenger seat it may be the same part causing the problem. What have they done so far for you York? Have they tried replacing the seat?
Apparently they tested the seat and one of the mechanics even took the car home (with my permission) to see if the seat was noisy. Of course it wasn't so they 'greased the seat rails' and checked everything was tight. The colder weather here has helped and the seat only creaks occasionally.

There are a load of other faults with the car, this is just one of the more obvious:(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the same problem and finally I went to the dealership while the seat was making the noise. Two mechanics wiggled around in it and figured out where it was coming from. I will pass on what ends up happening to you so as to possibly help with your issue. Maybe that will help them with figuring yours out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are a load of other faults with the car, this is just one of the more obvious:(
Sorry to hear about the problems. Do you mind saying what they are? I'm curious.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Apparently they tested the seat and one of the mechanics even took the car home (with my permission) to see if the seat was noisy. Of course it wasn't so they 'greased the seat rails' and checked everything was tight. The colder weather here has helped and the seat only creaks occasionally.

Is yours a clubman or hatch?

My drivers seat on my hatch was very noisy, I thought it was the clutch as it did it when pressing the clutch pedal up & down, well that was what I thought but it was the seat when you extended your leg to operate the clutch! Not sure what they did but all sorted now..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would be curious to know what they fixed on yours Davy. I'm still waiting for the part to arrive so they can fix mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.