Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up our MCP auto last Wednesday , now done 300 miles and everything is wonderful, except and after getting to grips with all the newness and miriad of setting I find that in overrun , warm engine etc it does not coast as it should. Also when I go into Configure Green the ability to untick the Coasting feature its not there and it will not exceed 75% of eco potential.

Any other Auto users out there can you tell me if yours is working as it should and can you configure the coasting feature.

Hopefully its a set up problem, booked in with the dealer but would be interested to hear others experiences

·
Registered
998 Posts
i have an auto S. i'm pretty sure the coasting feature isn't configurable. do you have an option on the screen that you can't select or is there just nothing there? I've only done a couple of shortish motorway runs and haven't noticed the coasting feature kick in. My green mode also shows 75% of potential but there doesn't look to be any way of changing this so i'm assuming this is based on my driving history in green mode

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an auto MCS (no NAV or big screen) and under the configure green there is an available choice for checking the coasting on or off (scroll down). I live in a very hilly region and I use the coasting feature all the time. You just watch the tach drop below 1000 rpm when it goes into coast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply
on page 160 of the manual it states that you can switch of the coasting but the option does not appear in the green settings. strange that neither of us can achieve more than 75% of potential. Where are we supposed to get the other 25% from ???
Its obvious to me that the feature has not been enabled from the factory.

All the publicity for the new automatic majors on this feature, they have spent a fortune to arrive at this feature and forget to enable it. A visit to the dealer beckons

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think the S uses a different auto box so is the problem that coasting is not available on the Cooper auto, only on the S auto, and is this a little detail that Mini left out of their marketing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've an Auto Cooper & would like the ability to coast & this new thread is the first that I've heard about coasting.How do you configue green anyway ?
Have completed 800 miles & loving the beast but making full use of the available options is hard work.This Forum deserves more than a medal.Maybe BMW should provide direct & financial support.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Just screen grabbed these pages from my downloaded user manual matched to my VIN. It seems that for the UK at least, coasting is always on and is not an option that can be selected, or in this case, deselected. It may be that the North American regs mean this has to have the ability to deselect.

I still havent been in a situation where this has cut in but the second pic shows what the screen looks like in coast mode

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you download a manual relative to your VIN.

My on board owners manual says I can disable coasting for extreme downhill situations (if only it was possible)

I have driven over 500 miles and it has not once coasted

·
Registered
1 Posts
In playing with the Green settings last night the only way I was able to move the percentage over 75% was to click on the Speed Warning and lower the speed at which it comes on to down in the 55mph range.

·
Registered
998 Posts
just had an email back from BMW Group UK Customer Services who have advised that the coasting feature is not currently available on UK spec automatics due to driving regulations in the UK.

i'm just about to respond

·
Registered
998 Posts
a quick read a a few BMW forums confirms this is turned off for the UK market across BMW. Does anyone know if the VW DSG system is active in the UK?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 2 Mini Cooper S and both have the standard auto. They both coast while in green mode as long as your not cruising at 80+ using the cruise control. Not sure about lower speeds and cruise control.

They do coast when not using cruise control.

·
Registered
998 Posts
just resurrecting this earlier thread as the topic has come up again when discussing the Green driving mode. I've swapped messages with a friend who's into the VW scene & he has confirmed via an owners forum that VAG group (VW, Audi etc) do have the coasting feature enabled on their automatic (DSG) box on all of their cars in the UK. i'm going to contact BMW & MINI again to try to find out why they do not enable this feature for the UK market.

·
Registered
998 Posts
just had this reply from Mini UK Customer Information, based in Farnborough:

I acknowledge that you believe coasting is fitted in your vehicle, however, I can advise that the feature is not available to be used in the UK. MINI UK is awaiting further instruction from BMW Germany for the possibility of a retro fit for this functionality.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This option may have went away. There was some problems with the car stalling (with auto trans) and the fix was to up the idle and remove the coasting feature. There was a thread on NAM or here about it. When the fella took the car in, BMW/MINI reprogrammed the car and the guy noted that the coasting feature went away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts