Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a tire that isn’t a low profile that fits the Mini? I have the 205/45 R17 tires. I really hate the ride quality and part of that is ditching the run flat tires. I want the car to feel like it’s floating over bumps and railroad crossings, not feel like it’s dipping right into them and me feeling the impact.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
You can go 16 wheels with an associated higher profile. Makes a difference esp if they aren't runflats.

Reactions: Snufkin

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought a mini with 15" wheels which I found a little skittish, partly because they are narrow at 175, although they had a nice compliant ride. I replaced them with 16" wheels (195 width) which give a significant improvement over the 15" regarding handling and still offer a reasonable degree of comfort. I tried a Mini with 17" wheels and thought it was a bit crashy over road irregularities; I can't imagine how bad larger wheels would feel. For me 16" wheels seem to be the sweet spot with a combination of good ride and handling.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
783 Posts
I ran 16" wheels with non runflat Toyo winter tyres over Xmas and it was so more comfy than my usual 18"s with runflats - didn't look as nice though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and you bought a Mini? :unsure:
I like how quick the Mini is but just dislike the way it feels driving over bumps. We have several streets with potholes and other road issues, along with railroad tracks to cross, and every time I have to go over them it sounds like I’m bottoming out and knocking the frame. I also feel it in my back.

I like the dark wheels I have which are 17s, but would look at 16s to get a larger sidewall non run flat tire if it means not feeling every bump I go over.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I felt my 16" wheels were easily overcome by the power in a Cooper s. We're on 19s ( runflats)now on our clubby summer and 17s(non runflat) winter .feels like 2 different cars. Hard sports car v refined limo cruiser. Big difference!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I found one tire in the US that is the same size as the OE and isn’t a run flat or a low profile. It’s the General Altimax. I’ll have to do some research on them.

Are there any changes that I can do to the suspension in order to soften the absorption when driving over bumps on the road or potholes?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 17" factory rims on my 2018, and am looking forward to wearing out the stock run-flats. Having used them on other vehicles, I like the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+ as a replacement. I see Michelin has come out with a Pilot Sport All Season 4, which is supposed to have "4% better dry braking, 5% better wet braking and 10% more snow traction than the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ tire". Will have to visit Tire Rack at replacement time to see how others are finding them.

OP, if you haven't already, check out Tire Rack ( www.tirerack.com ), as they have tire tests and extensive user comments that may help guide your tire selection.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I liked my non runflat 17" combo. There are plenty of 16" tyres that will fit 16" mini wheels so not sure what you mean but beware grip is overcome and you'll get some wheelspin! 195/65/16 will maintain the correct rolling circumference on an appropriate wheel. Just don't buy runflats.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I liked my non runflat 17" combo. There are plenty of 16" tyres that will fit 16" mini wheels so not sure what you mean but beware grip is overcome and you'll get some wheelspin! 195/65/16 will maintain the correct rolling circumference on an appropriate wheel. Just don't buy runflats.
I’d have to change wheels out to go to 16s. My main gripe about the run flats is they ride so rough and I honestly don’t see the appeal with them. I’ve already had one puncture and was able to get it patched as the tire was so new. Yes I know you aren’t supposed to fix a run flat but the car was just 2 months old and I didn’t want to have to spend $230 on one tire just because it was a run flat. Even the tire shop told me a normal tire and a can of fix a flat was much better, as the newer fix a flat stuff can be washed out of a tire and doesn’t ruin rims. I am hoping it’s just the tires causing the rough ride quality and not the suspension too.

Normally I’d wait until my tires needed to be replaced but I don’t think I can wait on this one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The one time I had to rely on the tyre weld stuff, it turned out I had a split so it wouldn’t seal. With a run flat, I would’ve been able to drive home on it. As it was, it turned into a 3 hour drama waiting for the RAC and having them take me to the local tyre place to get a new tyre fitted.

Luckily it was the middle of the day, but I work 24/7 call out so I’m happy to trade ride quality against potentially getting stuck in the middle of the night or having to squeeze a spare in the boot. :)

Run flats definitely aren’t for everyone but it depends on your individual needs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The suspension is what gives your Mini its characteristic fun handling and agility!! If you change it to a softer config, you might ruin it :confused:

I know, Minis ride a little harsh (the previous gens were harsher!), and it feels like the car's going to break, but it's not! It's just giving you feedback about the true road conditions (yes, the suspension absorbs almost none hehe).

Try going through the rail crossings and bumps very slowly if possible (where I live, some speed bumps are made of rocks and concrete, I always cross them at ~5 kph). Some people honk, but whatever, they don't have a Mini so they don't understand the reason. And believe me, you can make up for the lost time :LOL:

Like everyone says, run flats and low profile tires might be an issue for comfort. The suspension plays an important role too. My Merc had 225/35 R18 non-run flats on the front, plus AMG suspension, and it felt like you were on clouds. Very comfy despite its "sporty" setting. One might think that was because it had non-run flats, but... I've driven other cars with run flats (both with low and high profile run flats) and the ride was very soft :unsure:

Even though the suspension in the Mini is configured for run flats, it is harsh in the end simply because that's the way Minis are. But they are so fun to drive! Anyway, that's what I learned when I sold my R56, and that's why I got an F56 and never plan on leaving Mini ever again :D

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Maybe test drive an f54, on 16 or 17" wheels they are more compliant due to longer wheelbase. ( that's why we have 19" wheels! !!!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I switched from 205/45/R17 runflat to 215/45/R17 non runflat and I’m using JCW Coilovers. The ride comfort improves tremendously but the car feels less agile with softer and taller sidewall. Maybe 215/40/R17 will bring back the sharpness...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts