Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I am happy to become a member of this excellent forum. I would like an answer to my problem.

I switched from run flat to non run flat tires because the ride was too harsh. The problem is that I am one of the many who have not spec'd the a spare wheel at order time. I asked my dealer if there is a retrofit kit available and he said know. He is now in the process of contacting the BMW via email to ask about.

Any ideas? How can you drive a Mini F56 without run flats and without a preinstalled spare with jack and not fear you will be left alone in the middle of nowhere in case of flat tire?

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Buy a spare wheel and mount your spare non-runflat tire on it and put your rear seats down! Or it may even fit in the boot. That's what I'd do when on a trip. For around town, I wouldn't worry about it honestly.

For me, the runflats are perfectly fine though....I really don't have a problem with them, but I prefer a stiff suspension anyway.

· Registered
508 Posts
A mobility kit (tyre sealant plus electric inflator) would allow you to deal with minor punctures without removing the wheel. It's no use if the tyre has been seriously damaged, but then a runflat can't cope with that either.

Or else you can take the view that your car does not have a starting (crank) handle either so you cannot get it started if the battery goes flat - and yet you still drive it around in this dangerously unprepared condition. The spare wheel is going the way of the starting (crank) handle.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
A mobility kit (tyre sealant plus electric inflator) would allow you to deal with minor punctures without removing the wheel. It's no use if the tyre has been seriously damaged, but then a runflat can't cope with that either.

Or else you can take the view that your car does not have a starting (crank) handle either so you cannot get it started if the battery goes flat - and yet you still drive it around in this dangerously unprepared condition. The spare wheel is going the way of the starting (crank) handle.

Electric pumps are usually worthless...I've never seen an electric air pump worth 2 cents! Spare tire is certainly a viable solution. As for a hand crank, you don't need one if you have a manual transmission...just park on an incline if you have a low battery! :) Of course, I'm old school....anyone who owns old BMW's with points and condenser in the distributor is prepared for roadside repairs!

Reactions: Evlkarl

· Registered
495 Posts
Buy a spare wheel and mount your spare non-runflat tire on it and put your rear seats down! Or it may even fit in the boot. That's what I'd do when on a trip. For around town, I wouldn't worry about it honestly.

For me, the runflats are perfectly fine though....I really don't have a problem with them, but I prefer a stiff suspension anyway.

That was my thinking too. For inside the city, you don't need a spare....as odd as it sounds and trying to get use to the idea, run-flat tires, no spare and no tool kit. i.e. jack. My car was only 6 months old, and a nail got into my tire tread. FLAT. Called Mini Roadside Assist, towed my car to the dealer....got a bill for a new tire and install + tax = $320 ouch !....they don't fix, they replace. So I have the spare flat tire at home, collecting dust. I think I will frame it and call it Tire Art, handing it on the wall.

· Registered
9 Posts
I got a puncture in a previous car that only came with a tyre inflator /can of gloop. It didn't work. The AA man who rescued me told me that most of his call outs were this kind of "no spare" emergency. He towed me to a local tyre dealer and it cost me double the price of tyres I normally bought. I specced the mini with a spare and jack. For me it's a no brainer at only £65

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.