Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to pickup my brand new 2015 F55, and there were clear coat scratches everywhere from the detailer. In the course of 4 hours this morning, it was redetailed 3 times, each time a little better, but some new scratches too (body, light bezel, rear trim, and even a window). They replaced the trim parts, and are going to fix the window. Are these scratches normal? I'm afraid detailing may be making it worse. The dealer hasn't offered any compensation, and I haven't signed for it yet. I really don't want to wait another 2 months to order another. On the other hand, scratches happen, but I'm paying for brand new. Thoughts?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ask the dealership to have it professionally detailed at their expense.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's being done at the dealership. Same detailer does MINI, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So I went to pickup my brand new 2015 F55, and there were clear coat scratches everywhere from the detailer. In the course of 4 hours this morning, it was redetailed 3 times, each time a little better, but some new scratches too (body, light bezel, rear trim, and even a window). They replaced the trim parts, and are going to fix the window. Are these scratches normal? I'm afraid detailing may be making it worse. The dealer hasn't offered any compensation, and I haven't signed for it yet. I really don't want to wait another 2 months to order another. On the other hand, scratches happen, but I'm paying for brand new. Thoughts?
Take a quick look at my photo of the paint peeling off my Cooper's bumper that I've just posted with a new topic. Very disappointed with the cars finish to say the least. sorry to sound so pessimistic.:(

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wouldn't even think of taking delivery of a new car with scratches. And, I wouldn't accept detailing. In order to remove the scratches, the detailers are actually removing a very small layer of clearcoat with a buffer. You will never be satisfied. On the other hand, you will be happy when you get a perfect new car if you wait. I had an analogous situation. I found a car that was close to what I wanted at a local dealer. Right color, right options, but it was an automatic (not a standard). Could have had the car right away. Was torn, I really wanted a standard. It took longer to order the car, but I am so happy that I got the car I wanted. It was so worth the wait. Again, don't take a car that you are not satisfied with.

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Agreed and having seen the factory I don't think they would be scratched like this from there. Something has happened on the way. Wonder if that might be the peeling too, did it have a bump on the transporter. Very very common.father in law got a very cheap Hyundai once due to a large split in the bumper when the car was in the dealers po u nd.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ask the dealer to replace the car with a new car it's there fault so don't let them stuff you around. They will need to supply you with a rental car.

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
I have to say id probably be happy with a professional detail as long as they are reputable and know what they're doing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your responses to my dilemma. After a few sleepless nights, I've decided not to accept the scratched vehicle. Now I have to decide to reorder (8 weeks) or see if there's something close to what I spec'd on a lot. I'll let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thank you all for your responses to my dilemma. After a few sleepless nights, I've decided not to accept the scratched vehicle. Now I have to decide to reorder (8 weeks) or see if there's something close to what I spec'd on a lot. I'll let you know the outcome.
You did the correct thing.;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ask them not to prepare you car upon delivery and inspect it first yourself. If they are introducing new scratches during their detailing they are not doing it correctly.

Just because the Dealership sells expensive cars doesn't mean they prepare them properly.

Might be worth hunting out a professional detailer of your own and getting them to prep your car at the Dealership for you?

It's quite a common service you can get done in the UK.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: My dealer found me a similar equipped F55 already in port, and I should have it in a few weeks. Mini was also offering $1500 off if you close the deal before the end of this month, so I opted for the White Silver with black (my new avatar) vice my original order of Deep Blue Metallic with white.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wasn't you the guy who was configuring and asking about the Sports Seats yesterday? I assume you decided to buy a car from the lot rather than order, and found it to be damaged?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not exactly. I may have commented on someone's sport seat post. I ordered a car, it arrived damaged, and now they found me one in port that hadn't been spoken for yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts