Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here is something that really ticks me off on my F56. It is the cheap plastic panels that Mini uses on the car. The base of my antenna is so faded after 1 1/2 years it looks horrible for a new car same with the cover by the windshield and the nozzles in the hood and now some of the of wheel arch plastic does the same. Keep in mind I treat mine once a week. Complaint to the Dealer he told me most likely BMW will not replace them under warranty.:(:(

Here are some pics I took in the garage of the Mini and the Scion XB next to it that is a year (2014)older and get just regular car washes (same carwash i use for the Mini). Come on Mini you can do better. I will take more pics tomorrow outside of both cars during day light

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Looks a bit like you caught them with polish type products ev,but either way i hear black wow is good but best ive yet to test is black to the future by valet pro. Superb. Bit hotter over there ,not had any issue here other than my well documented scraped plastic i t cut. That was horriddly faded The valet pro was the only product that truly sorted it!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
J, for sure the sun is a big factor in fading but I am scratching my head how the Scion that spend more time in the sun than my Mini got better looking plastic panels after 2 years. :confused::mad: Yep caught a little of the polish but still with in days after giving it the treatment they look like crap again. I will give you plastic cleaner/protector a go and see if it will help. I know it is not a big deal but it drives me bonkers I guess it is always the small stuff in life that gets your blood pressure up there.:D

I might look into have all the plastic wrapped.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I'm with you my faded wheel arch drove me nuts till i found the cure. In the uk at leat its really cheap and a small pot will last ages. So far v impressed! Hope its available over there!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just checked Amazon and some other places can not get it over here. Last source my Ex G/f,s sister in the UK boy the things you have to go thru just to keep you panels all shinny.:laugh::laugh:

I see what you talking about that stuff does the job.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The solution to your issue is SEM Trim Black spray paint SEM 39143. This stuff
solve your problem. I use it every time my trim gets stained. It is such a perfect match you don't even have to shoot the entire part (of course you should but I'm just sayin')

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-39143

This stuff is perfect. I use it every time the trim gets stained.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Karl,

I use Griot's Garage Vinyl & Rubber Dressing on wheel arches & plastic bits....good stuff! But for too faded parts I agree SEM trim paint is really good!

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
763 Posts
Look for something with really high UV protection. We've had good luck with Mother's M Tech Protectant, anything plastic on the exterior gets it. It will bring back faded plastics too. Worth a shot.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have the same problem on that window area. my car is less than a year old, sits in a parking deck and behind my house which is usually shaded. Last weekend i used gummi pflege on it. took about 2 coats but it is nice and dark again. I use 303 aerospace on the all exterior rubber bits. This particualr piece is a weird texture which seems to absorb uv much worse than the rest of the rubber bits.

I also use the gummi on the window and door rubber, it stopped my windows from creaking against the awful rough rubber they used around the window frames.

I agree that the plastic exterior pieces are crap. This seems to be an issue with bmw rubber bits. not sure if this is part of their environmental engineering or what. if you think this is bad, take a look at any 90's up bmw's. all of their exterior trim dries up and comes off. I have 2 80's cars, an e30 and e24, the rubber is in great shape for its age.

Karl your best bet it to keep treating it, if the dealer replaces it, you will just have the same issue in another 6 months.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Alas, the desert sun is ruthless! There is a plethora of small issues with the mini, however, the little beasts make us smile and act like teenagers again for an affordable sum and that is the root of it all, bang for the buck and since it seems most of us are performance oriented drivers the mini is a logic choice. It has a certain automotive personality and appeal that no other automobile seems to match. There are cars that handle better, the Porsche 911S comes to mind, and some are drop dead gorgeous, but the mini has such a quirky personality that it makes me think of a bobcat, tenacious, agile, aggressive, and quick. So, even with its niggling faults we keep coming back for seconds, thirds, and more helpings of fun. I do love it and it puts me in the mood to go motoring right away! See you later.

·
Registered
494 Posts
it looks like in my opinion that there wasn't enough UV Stabilizer in the plastic resign.
Everyone has their own formulation.

I would still push for warranty replacement and corrective action by the dealer.

this is unacceptable the way it is now.

good luck !

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
To my they look awful and agree with above push for warranty replacements then try treating them with what's been recommended!

I can't see how the dealer can say not warranty as they are "not fit for purpose"

Personally I never take what a dealer says without proof from MINI themselves!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Try black wow. It is kind of expensive but you only use a little. I have used it on the trim below the windshield and it looks like new again. It is very oily but persists very well. Greasiness goes away after a few days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts