Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just hit me tonight as I wiped my new little guy off....being a long time BMW owner/enthusiast, those of us bimmerphiles know for a fact that BMW likes the gas cap on the right-hand side of the car (that would be the passenger side for a left-hand drive car).

The R53 and the R56 MINI had the gas cap on the "left-hand side" of the car, while the F56 has the gas cap on the "right-hand side" just like BMW's!

I'm sure there are other BMW design features on the new gen MINI, aside from the twin-scroll turbocharged engine that is all-BMW in the F56, not a joint effort between manufacturers as in previous generation MINIs.

Overall, the build quality is obviously better as well.

Cheers,

John

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
186 Posts
They actually changed it because it was a road hazard for people who ran out of gas. It was considered dangerous to be standing next to the car pouring gas in the tank with it on that side. Since most of Europe drives on the right it made sense to move the gas tank onto the side of the car away from traffic. Assuming most people will pull of to their right, unless on an expressway in the far left lane!

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is quite simple really.

Up 'till now, the filler cap was on the left because it was a "British thing" but obviously someone thought better of it. Think about it, we drive on the left, so naturally the pump will be on our left side when we pull over to the quaint little petrol station and general store, where we will also buy some Tea and get our teeth fixed....

Japanese cars also have the filler on the left as a rule too...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said "It's a BMW designed car", not British....so the gas cap is on the right. Have you ever known the Germans to not be practical? You are both correct.....makes perfect sense for the change. Now, when a future MINI shows up with the "Hofmeister kink" on the C-Pillar we'll know it's not a MINI any more LOL!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Traditionally the Fuel cap was on the left side (passenger side) as petrol stations were (in days gone by) no more than a lay by with a couple of pumps.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Traditionally the Fuel cap was on the left side (passenger side) as petrol stations were (in days gone by) no more than a lay by with a couple of pumps.
Yes, I get that. So, why bother with a design change if any side will do these days at a petrol station? It really doesn't matter which side the cap is on any longer, so BMW went with the typical design for their cars historically. That was the point I was making.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, I get that. So, why bother with a design change if any side will do these days at a petrol station? It really doesn't matter which side the cap is on any longer, so BMW went with the typical design for their cars historically. That was the point I was making.
Yes, because zay are Germans, and any uzzer vay is INCORRECT

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
As a good old German Boy born in Bavaria I have no choice but defend my Bavarian Designer Buddies. We Germans properly invented a Law after Konrad Adenauer said by 1960 it is VERBOTEN to have the Filler Cap in the rear of the Car and so the flipped a Deutsche Mark it felt on its head and voila the Filler Cap went to the right. :eek:

If you think about it the Steering Wheel Filler Cap and shifting with the left/wrong arm Arm only happens in places where Brits had Vacation Homes.:D:D:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well the great thing about the gas cap on the right (passenger side in the USA) is that the car is more aesthetically pleasing with the "disruption" of the flow of the car because of the gas cap being on the opposite side of the driver and owner. It is more of an "aesthetic" issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts