Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back I managed to get my hands on the new official LED Door Projector Lights. You get three different images to pick and put in the unit. These are the MINI logo, British Union Jack Flag, and the new JCW chequered flag logo.

As my MINI has the Union Jack Flag on the roof and side indicators it made sense to have this projected onto the ground.

The unit is a straight replacement for the original ones fitted from the factory. You just need to cut one end of the slot under the car a tiny bit longer to fit the new unit in.

Hope you like the pictures. I think it really adds a nice touch to the car at night.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
A few weeks back I managed to get my hands on the new official LED Door Projector Lights. You get three different images to pick and put in the unit. These are the MINI logo, British Union Jack Flag, and the new JCW chequered flag logo.

As my MINI has the Union Jack Flag on the roof and side indicators it made sense to have this projected onto the ground.

The unit is a straight replacement for the original ones fitted from the factory. You just need to cut one end of the slot under the car a tiny bit longer to fit the new unit in.

Hope you like the pictures. I think it really adds a nice touch to the car at night.

Look good, how much are they?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Look good, how much are they?
Think they cost about £67 which is a bit pricey, but to be expected for official product. I managed to get them free due to time it took to resolve an issue I had with MINI UK.

Reactions: Wing Co

·
Registered
179 Posts
Me want, Me going to get.
Liked them when i first saw them.

But why do you have to cut things with a knife to fit?
Does it say this in the fitting instructions?
I thought they would just plug straight in...
Great pics by the way.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Great pics by the way.
I managed to get hold of these from Germany before they were available to order in the UK. I gave them to my dealer and they installed them FOC before I collected the car. The fitting instructions do mention the requirement to cut the panel a few millimetres to allow the unit to fit, mine were all in German though. I guess the easiest way would be use some masking tape on the panel, mark it out with a pencil and use a stanley knife to cut.

At the moment I have the Mini logo projector installed, but from the pics above I must admit I quite like the Union Jack :).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Great pics by the way.
The instructions do say you need to cut a very small amount of the panel. I did try to put them in without cutting but the fit is just a bit too tight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I saw these in a brochure when I was picking up my F56 and I thought they looked really cool. I'm very tempted. I wonder how much MINI would charge to supply and fit. Might be making a phone call today....................

·
Registered
102 Posts
It gets worse, they just called back and the price is actually just shy of £400. They didn't realise at the time that 3 hours of re-programming would be required in addition to 2.5 hours labour. Is this right???!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
3 hours programming sounds like the stealer is talking bollocks to me. I had to fit a new idrive controller for my visual boost radio on my R56 when the dog chewed it off.
Part cost was £165.00 but would have been £335.00 fitted, Mini said it needed programming too but it didn't and took about 40 minutes to fit it myself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep my thoughts exactly, hence I called another dealer who told me no programming needed and just half an hours labour to fit! That said, they are all guessing as none of them have fitted them before and apparently there are no fitting guidelines on MINI's parts system so really they are all just taking a stab in the dark. Great!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep my thoughts exactly, hence I called another dealer who told me no programming needed and just half an hours labour to fit! That said, they are all guessing as none of them have fitted them before and apparently there are no fitting guidelines on MINI's parts system so really they are all just taking a stab in the dark. Great!

Deonair, no programming required here! Providing you have the under door lights installed, it's just a straight swap. With the exception of making a slight cut in the panel, as this is slightly larger in length than the standard lighting unit. I got the part from Germany and my dealer installed for free, but I believe RRP in the UK should be around £70. I'm sure there's a BMW dealer on eBay selling these, should you wish to try fitting yourself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
102 Posts
'I'm sure there's a BMW dealer on eBay selling these, should you wish to try fitting yourself'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-GENU...731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4734fe43

Thanks! I am considering fitting myself but don't really know what I'm doing and I don't want to stuff it up! The price on eBay, with the postage, is more than a dealer charges for the part. I'm currently trying to wangle the dealer I got my car from to fit them FOC as they owe me a favour for a **** up they made. Here's hoping............

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got non official lights via ebay - they just have the white light mini logo with a circle surround. The part cost £25 and I fitted it myself - no cutting needed at all. Took all of five minutes and haas absolutely nothing to do with setting up any kind of software (your dealer is having a laugh!).

Here's a pic.
PS. the unit itself looks exactly the same as the official one (you only get the one light design mind you)

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
That would do for me! Do you have a link for the ones you bought as there are lots of different ones out there and some aren't so straightforward to fit. Also, what did you have to do to fit them?

The dealer has now agreed to fit genuine MINI ones for free but I will have to buy the part which costs £68 or something like that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That would do for me! Do you have a link for the ones you bought as there are lots of different ones out there and some aren't so straightforward to fit. Also, what did you have to do to fit them?

The dealer has now agreed to fit genuine MINI ones for free but I will have to buy the part which costs £68 or something like that.
Here's the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-LED-We...main_3&fits=Car+Make:Mini&hash=item3f3853e5d2

HOWEVER, despite saying the fitting is comparable with the F56 / F55 the connector isn't right. I contacted them and they happily replaced with the correct connector and size. I've attached two photos for you.

In each of the pictures the opaque unit is the original unit fitted by MINI. The translucent one is the one that I got from the eBay seller. As you can see it has the wrong connectors. I would get in touch with them directly (ultra HIDs) and show them the photos saying you want the item listed but with the four pin connectors. The ones they replaced with were perfect.

It may seem like a hassle, but it's not and it's worth the saving. Mine have worked perfectly.

As for fitting - really really easy. Get on your back, look underneath the door sill and you'll see the opaque original light fitting. There's a small indentation. Take a small flat headed screwdriver and gently prise this away at this point.
If it's tough, you're doing it wrong so be gentle. If you're really concerned that you'll damage the car then use a plastic prising tool - but honestly, it's simple.
It will release and there's just a connector that you pull out.
Connect your new one and push back up into the door. There's absolutely nothing else to it and it takes minutes if not seconds to do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-LED-We...main_3&fits=Car+Make:Mini&hash=item3f3853e5d2

HOWEVER, despite saying the fitting is comparable with the F56 / F55 the connector isn't right. I contacted them and they happily replaced with the correct connector and size. I've attached two photos for you.

In each of the pictures the opaque unit is the original unit fitted by MINI. The translucent one is the one that I got from the eBay seller. As you can see it has the wrong connectors. I would get in touch with them directly (ultra HIDs) and show them the photos saying you want the item listed but with the four pin connectors. The ones they replaced with were perfect.

It may seem like a hassle, but it's not and it's worth the saving. Mine have worked perfectly.

As for fitting - really really easy. Get on your back, look underneath the door sill and you'll see the opaque original light fitting. There's a small indentation. Take a small flat headed screwdriver and gently prise this away at this point.
If it's tough, you're doing it wrong so be gentle. If you're really concerned that you'll damage the car then use a plastic prising tool - but honestly, it's simple.
It will release and there's just a connector that you pull out.
Connect your new one and push back up into the door. There's absolutely nothing else to it and it takes minutes if not seconds to do.

Thanks for this! I was looking on eBay for ages and couldn't see any for the F56, all I could see was R56 etc. Now I know why, the different pin connectors! So, I called the people on the link you gave and I've now got some coming out in the post today (with the 4 pin connector). Thanks heaps! :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts