Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Somewhere on here i commented that our new to us Mini F56 cooper D was due an oil change after only 3000 miles since last one, that is what the dash lights are telling me.
I was somewhat shocked that i would have to change the oil every 3000 miles.
Anyway, contacted the supplying dealer who performed the service, and spoke to the Tech that did the work, turns out that because the service was done before it was due they could not reset the service indicator, and hence oil change has come up early, i have no reason to disbelieve them.
I will do a filter and oil change and then we should be back to correct service intervals.
so, remember if you service early, it will ask you to do it again !!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, not a Mini dealer, so only able to reset via dash and odo button, and as it was not ready, states reset not possible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
They’ve done their best to make sure you go to a main dealer if you’re after a smooth service history in the nav system

😒

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
26 Posts
That's partly true. I reset the oil service indicator last April at ~8 months from new even though the next change due was more than a year away. Next oil change is now due April 2022.

I went in to the menu to check today and reset is not possible for the oil. Perhaps there is a minimum number of miles or days since last reset before you can reset it again.
A good independent should have a high depth on investigation OBD scan tool to reset it regardless.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Word of warning ⚠ here though! The independent I went to for an oil change somehow managed to change everything into the future! E.g. major service went from 2020 to 2021, brake fluid 2021 to 20God-knows-what. Make sure you check they know what they’re doing! It may have been a reversible change but I wasn’t gonna let him muck about with it any more.

edit: Two years later when I went to mini for a major service I asked if they could fix it but of course they

“need to plug it into the computer for diagnostics. Only £95 sir.”

Hmmm...I’ll just keep my weird delayed dates thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just reset it myself after an oil change, it says 30,000 km's /2 years which I do in less than 1 year anyway, my 'service' is about to come up so will reset it again, haven't been anywhere near a dealer for almost 2 years now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts