Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody who plans to keep his new F56 going for first oil change earlier than scheduled - just after say 3-5k km?

I have done it with my R class turbodiesel - not that expensive - but seemingly the best anyone can do for extended turbo engine life span - has anyone an opinion on this to share please?

One school of thought says with new engine manufacturing tolerances so precise nowadays and oil quality much improved it is not needed anymore - but still Mini suggests 2.000 Km break-in period - suggesting some metal chips might be around after it....so is the earlier oil change not needed at all or good precaution measure worth carrying out?

·
Registered
360 Posts
It is a great question and I'd appreciate the views of others.

I'm not planning to, 900 miles in, as I figure the reliability of the vehicle won't be affected for the time that I'll own the vehicle (three years). Presumably a manufacturer expects an engine to last 200k miles on the standard servicing routine? In today's throwaway society I'm not convinced many petrol cars make it much past that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm with you Lawro.

Our volcano will be serviced when the computer tells us that it is needed. The whole point of condition based servicing?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Oh my, that's a very good question. With the mileage I'll make this year, the first oil change will be after 11-12 months.

It sure sounds strange to say because we are used to much more frequent oil changes but, on the other hand, I hope Mini engineers know their stuff and planned accordingly.

Still, you must be right regarding the 2000km break-in and loose metal chips floating around. It would probably be a good thing to change it at least once before the 12 months period. If I do change it, I'll carefully look at the used oil to evaluate its state.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think I will get an oil and filter change after the "running in" period, as I am intending to keep the car for a while and turbo chargers are, or at least were, notorious for demanding a good and clean oil supply.
The service light is only a guide, and it can't do any harm, except to your pocket in the short term, to change the oil more frequently than the light may suggest.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Anybody who plans to keep his new F56 going for first oil change earlier than scheduled - just after say 3-5k km?

I have done it with my R class turbodiesel - not that expensive - but seemingly the best anyone can do for extended turbo engine life span - has anyone an opinion on this to share please?

One school of thought says with new engine manufacturing tolerances so precise nowadays and oil quality much improved it is not needed anymore - but still Mini suggests 2.000 Km break-in period - suggesting some metal chips might be around after it....so is the earlier oil change not needed at all or good precaution measure worth carrying out?
I think the running in period is mainly to allow the mating and running surfaces to mate together gently , there certainly shouldn't be metal chips floating around as the oil filter ( usually a 10 micron nominal rating)will collect these. I think you are correct in saying there will be more contaminates in the oil , but I think the engine oil filter will probably have a bit more in on the first oil change than the next oil changes, so IMO I would say it is not really worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
problems with oil filter breaking?

Has anyone heard of the new Minis having a problem with the oil filter breaking while driving?? This just happened to my BRAND NEW less than 6 months old 2014 Mini Cooper hatchback. The engine was destroyed. The service center cannot yet tell me what caused this to happen, but I didn't hit anything in the road like a huge pothole or debris. I'm a bit miffed and wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue??

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Has anyone heard of the new Minis having a problem with the oil filter breaking while driving?? This just happened to my BRAND NEW less than 6 months old 2014 Mini Cooper hatchback. The engine was destroyed. The service center cannot yet tell me what caused this to happen, but I didn't hit anything in the road like a huge pothole or debris. I'm a bit miffed and wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue??
Yes if you look on north American motoring the first f56 were recalled due to a faulty oil filter housing,so make sure they know you know!

're the oil change have you seen the colour of the oi lafter 6000 mils.it is going black which means burnt bits in there. I don't think I shall do it after break in but I shall change my oil every 6000. Miles as I just dont think it's good for the engine to leave it longer. It's not expensive to diy and then the 3rd change is mniis according to the variable service interval.( I just wont reset the computer)

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Here we go http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ssues/279210-oil-filter-housing-failures.html

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Hi there when I change the oil at 6000 and 12000 miles I won reset the service light on the dash. That way mini won't know I've done it and they will service it at 18000 miles as per the current indication under the tlc pack. Hope you can understand my ramblings!!

Reactions: RafaMiniPT

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What was the build date of your car? Hopefully this is limited to a small range of VINs...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there when I change the oil at 6000 and 12000 miles I won reset the service light on the dash. That way mini won't know I've done it and they will service it at 18000 miles as per the current indication under the tlc pack. Hope you can understand my ramblings!!

JB
Got it. thing is it's my first car with board comp with info on service. :$ so, duh for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts

Btw - and sorry for the thread starter on me getting this here - do u also change tyres front to back qnd vice versa every 10k kms? People have been telling me that's best way to have it last longer.
(Unfortunately i eat tyres. Change it qlmost every year, though it's first time i have pressure info, thing i regretably always overlooked :|)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
890 Posts
It depends if you want to pay to replace two tyres at one time or all four at one time!

With front wheel drive cars the fronts tend to wear out much more quickly than the rears and in the past I have just changed the fronts when that became necessary.
However, with insurance companies being ever more "difficult" these days, not to have identical tyres all round is probably frowned upon, so the rotation method and changing all four is perhaps a better idea.

These TPMS sensors add another dimension. Ideally it would be nice if your tyres wore out at the same time as the sensor batteries give up the ghost so you could change the tyres and sensors at the same time. Not going to happen though, and it would be very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Hi , I have winter tyres and always mark them so that I am continuously rotating the tyres so they hopefully wear at an even rate. T h at way when I change all 4 together I will a) have had time to have saved enough, and
B) have the same tread pattern all round. Can't guarantee that if you wait say 4 years as they change tyres design so quickly.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi , I have winter tyres and always mark them so that I am continuously rotating the tyres so they hopefully wear at an even rate. T h at way when I change all 4 together I will a) have had time to have saved enough, and
B) have the same tread pattern all round. Can't guarantee that if you wait say 4 years as they change tyres design so quickly.

What winter tyres are you running?

I've just ordered Dunlop SP Wintersport 4Ds as 205/45 17s. The stock tyres in the cold and wet have not coped with a heavy right foot in my MCS, often spinning in first, second and third gears....

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've just ordered Dunlop SP Wintersport 4Ds as 205/45 17s.
Those sound about as good as winters get. Tests I've seen suggest that Dunlop winters are up there with Conti for good dry and wet road grip.

All winters are brilliant in snow and most laugh at ice, so it's really how well they work the rest of the time that sets the best winters apart.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
We've both got hankookwinter icept s on. In test they come middling, but they were a superb price! I'd say Dunlop ,Goodyear would be better but not in the same league in terms of price

1 - 20 of 26 Posts