Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Done 1K in my F56, dealer said after first 1K top up the oil. Did a proper full check and the screen says full and the max / min green bar is at max.

What should I do? Complete oil change ( how much? ) or leave well alone?

Also, if the full check shows say 80% - how do you work out how much oil to put in???:|

Cheers!:)

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
Hi there very good question! I am not sure how much oil the f56 takes but if it takes 4 litres I would put in 4000/100 x 20 =800ml for a 20% low reading but to be safe I would always add it a bit at a time as over fill is a mare too!
Re the oil change I intend every 6000miles regardless but if you only keep the car a couple of years the new owner will be the beneficiary of your expense-makes a buyer know you care though if you sell privately!

Re the oil anyone know wha t the factory fill is Castrol Edge but what grade?

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
I agree-total pain-bring back the dipstick-mind you the r56 dipstick wasn't a good design and there are lots of posts about the best way to check the oil on them! Hopefully it wont be a problem we need to worry about too much-if it has nt used any yet it sounds promising-and contrary to popular belief my r56 mcs and my wifes roadster 2 haven't used a drop between services!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Do not put oil in it if it is showing full. Too much oil is worse than a little less than full.

Dealer talking rubbish BTW. In any car you should regularly check the oil, not just after a certain mileage.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I just checked mine with the onboard gadget and the level is still at the full mark after about 3000 miles which is what I would have hoped for with modern engines.
My last Toyota never used a drop of oil in over 20,000 miles.

Does the screen perhaps tell you how much is needed for a top up, if it detects a finite or measureable drop in level?

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
Quite right kenl honest John in the telegraph reckons every 2nd fill up I think I read for oil level check I do all fluids and tyres every other week regardless. But over filling is terrible for the car. Only top up if needed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JUST SPOKE TO MY DEALER SERVICE GUY....
My check showed full on the min / max green bar. Leave well alone he said.
He also said the green bar from max to min = 1 litre and best way is to wait until the bar shows empty (its not really - only 1 L. light ) then you will know to put a litre in!!!
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.