Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for all the questions

I've not had a brand new car before and my Dad who is a bit old school told me that I should get the oil changed after 1000-1500 miles but the dealer told me this is not necessary? I am happy to pay for an oil and filter change if people think it will help longer term? Also with the TLC pack oil is changed every two years, I am only going to be doing about 4500 miles a year, would the recommendation be to pay to have the oil changed annually in between TLC changes? Car is a MCS

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
Hi there, if you're keeping the car then this sort of regime gives clean oil all of the time. purists of the old school would say running in contaminents will be removed by the first 1500ml change , then clean oil regularly after that will avoid coking etc with the high heats this engine runs at.

However the factory and modern engineers say that tolerances are so good at teh factory now that there wont be any contaminents from the running in process eg bits of metal. there were on the sump plug magnet on my ktm motorbike however!

in summary if you don't mind the expense it really cannot hurt. and it's relatively inexpensive especially if you do it yourself. as a second hand buyer of your car it would make me think you had cherished it and i would be more likely to buy it for more money than one that had just had the std changes!

Therefore your decision! i am changing mine annually-around 7k miles !

·
Registered
508 Posts
More frequent oil changes cannot do any harm (except to your pocket) but I believe the correct distance between oil changes should be 200,000 divided by your age, so that gives:
20 yrs - 10,000 miles
40 yrs - 5,000 miles
60 yrs - 3,300 miles
etc

Oil change intervals have continually been increasing for the last 50 years but the 'right' interval was the one that was current when you first became aware of them and all others are wrong, wrong, wrong....

Now I must go and apply grease to all the greasing points on my car - only idiots expect mechanical joints to continue operating without regular greasing.

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
The above post is the work of genius and I think very very true! And very very funny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts