Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Thought I would start a new thread to see the opinions on oil grade/type used or going to be used.

Obviously there will be differences for different markets with regard to sulphur content of fuels used. (ie LL-04 spec for Europe only etc)
I've noticed prices seem to be similar between manufacturers....unless you use Comma or Carlube etc!!!! It seems if you are lucky there are 5L versions avail but another 1L is still required to complete change(filter cx included) and future top up.
What are the preferences for grade?....0W30, 0W40, 5W/30, or 5W40. 5W/30 seems to be the popular choice with LL-04 spec for UK?
What supplier/type?.....Castrol Edge FST, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Mobil 1 ESP Formula, plus Miller's or Valvoline or indeed BMW branded......I seem to remember that BMW has changed from Castrol to Shell as a supplier?

Maybe we can get some thoughts and experiences of those who have carried out an oil change in between dealer service or who will be planning it.
Will have to hold on to the old deep fat fryer oil if things get tight:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I've just bought petronas 5 w30 llo4 mini specific oil for £20 for 4l. Bargain! Fully synth and in the Mercedes.f1 car perhaps!!!!!!!! I'd have preferred 0w40 but at that price!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
....I seem to remember that BMW has changed from Castrol to Shell as a supplier?.....Maybe we can get some thoughts and experiences of those who have carried out an oil change in between dealer service or who will be planning it.
Will have to hold on to the old deep fat fryer oil if things get tight:laugh:
That is correct....but I'd think either Castrol or Shell Synthetic would be fine....5W-30 is the spec'd weight as I recall.

What I do NOT understand is the dealer telling me I don't need to change the oil until 10,000 miles!!! REALLY?....I would feel better on a brand new engine changing oil after 1,000 miles or so. I know I'm old school, but 10,000 miles between oil changes?

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
My on board service thingy tells me it's 18000 miles or two years. Sludge comes to mind. Mine will be changed yearly or 6k miles! I know I know modern synthetic oils etc but have you seen the colour of the stuff at this sort of age? No ta.for the sake of £30?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good price for Petronas......you will be OK with 4L but 5L bargains may be harder to find plus single 1 L which are always extortionate.
Would be happy with 5W/30 and will definitely plan to change at max 1 year or 6000 miles ( 1 year will probably arrive first). I have confidence in the quality of modern synthetics to cover this period with no problem..........but sometimes you wonder........I saw a test recently with Castrol Edge against another well known brand where they were subjected to 400C for 30 mins. The Castrol came out well but the other - which I have forgotten - had left burnt deposits around the glass flask.

The only thing I am reluctant to use is Petronas as used by MERCEDES F1-aren't they the competition:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
V true annoys me most come in four litre packs.nice way to more cash from us although I reckon four might just do it.not much left for in between top ups.

Gulp I'm a traitor!

Reactions: Davo56

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had my first oil change the dealer put in BMW Motor Oil SAE 5, thought they were using Shell now??

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had my first oil change the dealer put in BMW Motor Oil SAE 5, thought they were using Shell now??
Yes, but it will be packaged as BMW oil (or may be Castrol still if oldish stock)
It's just like any own brand products many of which are made by well known manufacturers with another label.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts