Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just have a few questions about the engine oil on my 2016 Mini Cooper. I changed the oil recently and the car has done around 2500 miles since.

When parking for the night today, I checked the engine oil level and it was showing below the max level bar. The level was at the halfway mark of the full column.

I did realise immediately that I had parked the car on an up incline and maybe that would cause the level to not show to the max. So I drove around and parked again at a near flat level but still the same result.

My question is, is it normal for the car to 'consume' some oil even though there is no oil leak or oil burning issues? If yes, should I be still worried given the level have come down only after 2500 miles?

I did the last oil change myself and filled exactly 4.25L of Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30 and the level was upto the max bar at the time.

any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you checked the oil level again since then and has it stayed at the same level or has it continued to fall?
Google seems to show that the capacity is 4.5 litres rather than the 4.25 you used. Was it showing maximum in the days immediately after the change?

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's unusual to hear of the B38 engine using much oil (if any) at all really, usually any oil use it not noticable between changes, and certainly 2500 miles is very soon. I expect it's another cause, such as not level when first filled, or underfilled. Check your fill quantity requirements, you could add the small difference if it was under spec. Reccomendation is to only add oil when the car says to. When it gets too low, the car will advise to add 1 litre.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked the oil level again since then and has it stayed at the same level or has it continued to fall?
Google seems to show that the capacity is 4.5 litres rather than the 4.25 you used. Was it showing maximum in the days immediately after the change?
I did research for the exact amount before changing the oil. For the 1.5L engine, I found 4.25L was the right amount. https://www.automobile-catalog.com/oil_coolant_capacity/2016/1995485/mini_cooper.html
And yes, it was showing the right amount immediately after the oil change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's unusual to hear of the B38 engine using much oil (if any) at all really, usually any oil use it not noticable between changes, and certainly 2500 miles is very soon. I expect it's another cause, such as not level when first filled, or underfilled. Check your fill quantity requirements, you could add the small difference if it was under spec. Reccomendation is to only add oil when the car says to. When it gets too low, the car will advise to add 1 litre.
yeah that's what I thought (about the B38 engines), also the car has done less than 25000 miles so shouldn't be an issue really.
I know for sure that there is no oil leak or burning issue either. I might try topping up in increments of 100ml and see if I can get back the level and monitor :)

·
Super Moderator
7,440 Posts
I would, they really don't use it and it seems an amazing coincidence. Maybe the oil filter took more or you mis calculated the fill?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yep the Haynes Manual also states 4.25 litres. Bit of a mystery, and I'd be amazed if it's burnt it! A tiny overfill won't kill it, so your idea of popping in 100ml sounds fine, probably not more than 2 or 3 times though! Never know, the electronic reading may well not be perfect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did a cold start this morning and a tiny bit of white smoke came out after a second or two of starting up. But the smoke was more like condensation smoke and not thick smoke and it died down after a couple of seconds. There was a smell of petrol as well but I guess that is normal?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep the Haynes Manual also states 4.25 litres. Bit of a mystery, and I'd be amazed if it's burnt it! A tiny overfill won't kill it, so your idea of popping in 100ml sounds fine, probably not more than 2 or 3 times though! Never know, the electronic reading may well not be perfect.
Yeah will definitely do that, I will take the car for a drive now and measure the oil again after a long drive. If it still is down from max, I will carry the oil and fill 100ml increments. Will have to monitor after that :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just did a cold start this morning and a tiny bit of white smoke came out after a second or two of starting up. But the smoke was more like condensation smoke and not thick smoke and it died down after a couple of seconds. There was a smell of petrol as well but I guess that is normal?
Quite normal, it's condensation as you say. Oil smoke is 'blueish' and smells nasty!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So went for a drive... Checked the oil level again and still below max... So topped up by 250ml and checked again. Its back to max now 🙂.
The car is going to mini dealer next month anyway for a major oil service (including spark plugs) and I will probably do another 2000 miles before then.
Will keep an eye for the levels and will check if it drops again just before the service.
Also I read somewhere about the engine oil capacity of the car that it's 4.25L and. 3L for the filter. Does that mean you are meant to fill 4.25 +.3 to account for oil filter intake?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Also I read somewhere about the engine oil capacity of the car that it's 4.25L and. 3L for the filter. Does that mean you are meant to fill 4.25 +.3 to account for oil filter intake?
I always understood that to mean the opposite - if you leave the filter in, then top up with .3lt less! I always take the filter out and replace the full 5.25lt (JCW).

·
Super Moderator
7,440 Posts
F 56 1.5capacity is 4.25 litres but 0.3if you do the filter so I'd say4.5 and you should be about bang on.so you're now right.

Reactions: Sunny1407

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always understood that to mean the opposite - if you leave the filter in, then top up with .3lt less! I always take the filter out and replace the full 5.25lt (JCW).
You may be right, I was unsure but that makes more sense 🙂

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agree with others that the 1.5 petrol uses little oil (certainly in my experience). From memory I only need to top up 1 litre between major services. Occasional white condensation smoke on morning start normal too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts