Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 f57 John Cooper works convertible... Book says 0w-20 longlife-01 fe or longlife-14 fe+. Dealer has longlife-17 fe+. Any advice on the differences and which is best would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
89 Posts
I believe your car will have a particulate filter so you should be running an oil with an ACEA Cx rating. I'm surprised the owners manual mentions LL01 as this is not an oil that's recommended for engines with GPFs. It's unclear what the difference is between LL14 FE+ and LL17 FE+ and the BMW approvals are widely regarded as being a bit of a mess, in contrast to Volkswagen and Mercedes that are fairly clear with all the approved oils available to view online or download.

In any case if you want to stick with 0W20, the LL17 FE+ is the latest approval, one of the owners manual recommendations and will be fine for your application with or without GPF. These oils are typically ACEA C5 which contradicts my user manual which states C2 or C3! You could probably buy one cheaper on OpieOils if you fancy changing yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe your car will have a particulate filter so you should be running an oil with an ACEA Cx rating. I'm surprised the owners manual mentions LL01 as this is not an oil that's recommended for engines with GPFs. It's unclear what the difference is between LL14 FE+ and LL17 FE+ and the BMW approvals are widely regarded as being a bit of a mess, in contrast to Volkswagen and Mercedes that are fairly clear with all the approved oils available to view online or download.

In any case if you want to stick with 0W20, the LL17 FE+ is the latest approval, one of the owners manual recommendations and will be fine for your application with or without GPF. These oils are typically ACEA C5 which contradicts my user manual which states C2 or C3! You could probably buy one cheaper on OpieOils if you fancy changing yourself.
Soooo.... I already own 5 quarts of the same 0w-20 mini/bmw longlife-17 fe+ which is acea c5 api sn. The filter I was give by mini parts counter is part # 11428570590. Does/did my car come with a particulate filter? Is this part number also a particulate filter? What does the g in your gpf abbreviation stand for? And finally can you tell me in layman speak what the c5 indicates?

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
89 Posts
GPF = Gasoline particulate filter sometimes known as OPF = Otto Particulate filter which is part of the exhaust system and unrelated to the oil filter. Same idea as the diesel DPF though I'm guessing the particle sizes are different.

Using a full SAPs (sulfonated ash etc.) like ACEA Ax series can cause clogging of the filter. For this reason there is now more commonality between diesel and petrol engine oil recommendations I.e. low or mid SAPs oils. Even the Porsche 911 now requires an ACEA C3 oil due to the GPF (992 model)

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
89 Posts
ACEA C5 indicates that the oil is a low/mid SAPs (the C part) and that the high temp high shear (HTHS) viscosity is between 2.6 and 2.9 cP (the 5 part). The latter is at the low end of the scale and generally relates to 0W20 fuel conserving oils.

By comparison a C3 oil has the same SAPs limits but has a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5 cP so in theory the engine will use more fuel. An example of a C3 oil is BMW LL04 which was the spec for diesel engines for many years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I'm a little confused about the gasoline particulate filter. Meaning... Did they make 2019 mini convertibles with different types of fuel filters?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I'm a little confused about the gasoline particulate filter. Meaning... Did they make 2019 mini convertibles with different types of fuel filters?

Meaning how do I know if my specific vehicle has a gas particulate filter or not?

·
Super Moderator
7,440 Posts
You really don't need to overthink it-LL01 is still used by mini in the USA as their fuel isn't good enough-and if you are changing the oil every year non of it is particularly relevant I don't think since the oils job at stopping soot and its long lifeness won't come in to play till later-however for safetys sake simply buy ACEA C3 BMW LL04-any oil at that will do nicely. Choose whichever 0 W rating that suits your environment-5w30 is the Lohen recommended rate-0040 is usually pricier but has a greater viscocity range etc.I simply buy what's a good deal along these lines 0-30, 5w30 or 0w40. I change it yearly.
As for the 0w 20 stuff-must be like water-tbh my suspicious mind says it s more for economy than looking after the engine and I would rather not use it myself. Could be wrong but...

·
Registered
2019 F55 Cooper S Sport, Solaris Orange, DCT
29 Posts
The GPF is in the exhaust, it’s not a fuel filter. It captures the tiny particles that are created by the engine and blow out of the exhaust. Particles created by burning fuel are known as soot and are mostly carbon. However some particles are created by burning droplets of the engine oil; this oil contains chemicals including metal elements such as calcium, magnesium and zinc - these form particles called “ash” which are also captured in the GPF (and DPF on a diesel).

To minimise how much oil-derived particles gets formed, modern oils use lower levels of the chemicals that contain the metal elements. These are known as ‘mid-‘ or ‘low-‘ SAPS (SAPS stands for sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulphur). The ACEA C-categories are all mid- or low-SAPS whereas the older A/B categories are ‘full-SAPS’. BMW base their specs on ACEA categories, with LL-01 (and the older LL-98) based on A/B and newer ones based on C.

·
Registered
2019 JCW Hatch
89 Posts
If you manual states LL01 FE as one of the recommendations, then I have probably incorrectly assumed that you are in the UK or EU when you are likely to be somewhere else like the USA. In that case your car will likely not have a GPF so any of the oil approval grades will do. Generally as outlined by @jeremybingham the lower the viscosity the lower the protection but the higher the fuel economy but you are really looking at very fine margins on both counts.

The factory fill here in the UK (in my 2019 JCW) is 0W20. I'm currently running 0W30 LL04, not because of any desire for greater protection, but due to sale on Shell Helix oil at Euro Car Parts last year. And the resulting fuel economy is still very good.

·
Super Moderator
7,440 Posts
That's exactly what I do Stretch. If you follow their emails and Web they sometimes have superb deals.

·
Registered
248 Posts
2019 f57 John Cooper works convertible... Book says 0w-20 longlife-01 fe or longlife-14 fe+. Dealer has longlife-17 fe+. Any advice on the differences and which is best would be appreciated.

Are you in the U.S.? If so, BMW/MINI says you need oil that meets the LL-01 FE, LL-14 FE+, or LL-17 FE+ specs, in either 0W-20 or 0W-30 weights. The easiest to find right now is LL-17 FE+ because it's essentially superseded LL-01 FE and LL-14 FE+. Otherwise you're pretty much stuck using OE BMW or MINI oils to meet the required BMW/MINI specs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you in the U.S.? If so, BMW/MINI says you need oil that meets the LL-01 FE, LL-14 FE+, or LL-17 FE+ specs, in either 0W-20 or 0W-30 weights. The easiest to find right now is LL-17 FE+ because it's essentially superseded LL-01 FE and LL-14 FE+. Otherwise you're pretty much stuck using OE BMW or MINI oils to meet the required BMW/MINI specs.
Thank you. Easily found mini branded.. Bmw 0w-20 longlife 17 fe+

1 - 15 of 15 Posts