Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to have my 1500 3 cylinder petrol Cooper serviced and have been told a new "oil filter module" will be fitted. It's a two and a half hour job in addition to the service time.
I'm not concerned by the length of time my car will be at the dealers, but has anyone an idea what this "module" is?

·
Registered
9 Posts
In other words it is the oil filter housing they will be replacing. Not too sure about the petrol but on the diesel the oil filter housing is where the oil filter lives and the oil cooler. On the mini 'B' series engines, the oil filter is mounted 'upside' down.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I remember about a year ago or so oil filter housings were being replaced due to leaking. Yours might have been missed in the replacement.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It was one of those non aggressive recalls, if you went in for something else, they did the change otherwise they wait for the next or first service.
Bit too casual for me really, seeing an oil leak could be terminal.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Petrol yes, but I don't know about the diesel I'm afraid.

If you are near a dealer they can scan your key fob thingy, which will say if any work is pending on your particular car.

Bit vague but hope that helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My car was at Mini a month ago for the door seals, I asked of there was any recalls which they said there wasn't but that is not to say that it needs the oil filter housing but they will not do it until it's in for its first service and oil change?

·
Registered
890 Posts
If the service adviser did a print out of the info generated by the key fob, and the issue of the oil filter housing was not mentioned on the print out, then your car must not have the problem.

The housing is an alloy component that is bolted to the engine block, and the replaceable filter is screwed onto it, so as far as I can tell the system is the same as usual.

For some reason the housing has been found to crack or leak in certain cases, hence the change being required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.