Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Mini Cooper just needed a litre of oil after 2,500 miles; but I'd checked the electronic reading about five days previously and it was showing the same level as it had since new ie, the white 'bar' illuminated on the centre of the scale.
I was alerted by a 'low oil' message on starting the car but that disappeared from the dashboard after a few seconds.
A check on the electronic dipstick showed the white illuminated 'bar' had moved to the central one of three blue sections at one end of the scale.
Adding a litre of oil, as suggested in the handbook, put the white light back to the central point where it had been.
I don't understand why the electronic readout should move so quickly - the car can't have used nothing for months and then got through a litre in five days.
Am I mis-reading the gauge? A metal dipstick would be a luxury on this car.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Sounds to me like you are reading the temp guage by pressing the left had stalk button ? Just check ! The oil guage is accessed from the central display check menu; car status , check oil level check and you have to leave the engine running from hot for a while. If i remember rightly is one colour not blue white and red!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the stalk I've been using; it sounds like the oil temp that I've been checking.
As the 'low oil' light flashed up and I put a litre in, hopefully that's essentially the same as going from the lower limit to the top limit on an old fashioned dipstick but will check when the car's back at home.
Not got so far as finding the 'dipstick' on the central display. Mine has the basic (small) screen, but I'm assuming it must show on there if I get into the correct menu.
Thanks for your guidance, ever so helpful. The supplying saleswoman never responded to my email on this query and the best advice I got from the (normally good) dealership that will be servicing was that these cars don't use oil!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would agree these engines don't seem to use oil, in my case none in 9000 miles, so it does appear you were assessing it from the wrong "gauge"!
Let's hope the "low oil" message was just one of those anomalies of the electronics. But keep an eye on it, I would suggest, once you find the oil level check screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've found the electronic dipstick and all looks fine, but as there's no illustration in the handbook, here's a question:
The diagram on screen shows a horizontal line, with two vertical lines through it. The left hand one appears to be the minimum, the right hand one the maximum (echoing the min/max marks on a dipstick at a guess). The horizontal line is fully illuminated all the way along until what appears to be the 'max' mark, then the final few mililmetres is in outline only. Is there capacity to take a bit more oil, or have I filled right up to the max mark?
I put in a litre as soon as the low oil light showed, so common sense would say its gone from minimum to maximum, but I just want to be sure it won't take a bit more.
Any guidance is appreciated - this is something which really should have been demonstrated at handover time, I'd say, given that its a change from the normal dipstick routine and very important at that.
The start of this little saga was 'low oil' wording which flashed up on the display behind the steering wheel on starting the car, then went off.
That prompted me to check using the left hand column stalk, where instead of producing the engine symbol with 'oil ok' it said 'low oil' and then I checked what I thought was the oil level....
As it was actively telling me low oil, I did what the handbook says and put a litre in. There's no warning to say its overfilled, but I'd like to think its used it just while running in.
The idea of 9,000 miles without topping up is something I'd like to repeat with this car...
Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Sounds to me like it is perfect; as per instructions if it were on bottom and you added a litre (if that is what it say-i cant remember off hand). definitely dont add any more; overfilling is as bad as underfilling apparently so leave well alone and do your usual checks-i do oil tyres washer fluid and coolant/brake fluid every 2 weeks. Probably overkill but better to be safe than sorry!
J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really please you folks have pointed me to the 'electronic dipstick' - something the supplying dealer and service dealer have both failed to do, despite specific requests from me.
I don't like the idea the oil level's got down the minimum, I'd not let that happen with a conventional dipstick before topping up, but I'm assuming that's what the 'low oil' message is for, rather than a warning light to show low oil pressure.
For me, a valuable lesson learned and one for which I'm very grateful.
This is our fourth Mini and massively better than previous incarnations for all sorts of reasons!
cheers.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Personally, in my opinion, the car is under warranty. Why second guess, take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. It might be something more than by adding oil to correct the issue. There could be a leak that is creating the current issue that you think have resolved. I don't it is normal to experience this issue so early in the car's life, so it should be taken to the dealer and have them check things out. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's no sign of a leak, the manual says running in may involve higher oil usage and I'm sure they'll say a litre to 2,500 miles is fine.
I now know how to monitor consumption and will do so carefully. Will be disappointed if consumption stays at this level, but even if it does its hardly catastrophic. I'm old enough to have owned a couple of Metros; one of them needed an oil top up after driving from Yorkshire to Devon and it wasn't an old car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.