Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Was under my car the other day removing my front bumper and I noticed my stone shield had a blotch of soaked oil in the material. When I removed the stone shield I looked up and noticed there was oil on the different components near the right hand side of the oil pan.

I took some pictures and went to the dealer the next day. I showed him and the rep stated that it looks like the oil pan gasket was leaking. I have a service appointment set for mid May.

Is this a known issue, or just a one off occurance? What is the likelyhood of this being denied under warranty coverage ( I have the money to fix it, I just would prefer not to pay for something I don't have to)? Will they do a good job cleaning up the excess oil on all the parts underneath? Anything else I should request for them to do, or will they know where else to look at the underbody?

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
There is an oil filter housing issue on some engines; but they should've been recalled and all done by now. might be worth your dealer checking this though. if it is the pan gasket it wont have covered many other components-other than the under car shield-(if it has make s me wonder if it might be something else, oil leaks are very tricky as oil travels) and should be a quick easy fix. not sure how long your warranties are over there-we get 3 years in the uk and the warranty would def cover this !

·
Registered
495 Posts
There was a TSB raised in May 2015 for the Oil Filter Housing leaking what they called "coolant leakage occurring in oil filter housing." Are you sure it is oil that is leaking and not coolant ?
Your car is under warranty ? Any issues will / should be looked after warranty n/c. I never had any issues while the car is under warranty. Never has been a charge for anything gone wrong. True to their word, at least in my experience.

Bulletin Number: SIM-11-05-15
Bulletin Date: 06-01-2015
Component: 060000 engine and engine cooling

Summary
Mini: some vehicles will experience a loss of power, warning light for engine on, overheating, due to a coolant leakage occurring in oil filter housing. model 2014 f55 (cooper s), f56 (cooper), f56 (cooper s).

Read more: http://helpforcars.net/tsb/mini/cooper/2014.html#ixzz471iO1adD

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an oil filter housing issue on some engines; but they should've been recalled and all done by now. might be worth your dealer checking this though. if it is the pan gasket it wont have covered many other components-other than the under car shield-(if it has make s me wonder if it might be something else, oil leaks are very tricky as oil travels) and should be a quick easy fix. not sure how long your warranties are over there-we get 3 years in the uk and the warranty would def cover this !

It's a tricky situation. Even though the car was purchased from MINI USA, I fall under the umbrella of the Italians and the EU for warranty coverage. Yet they (MINI EU) can't add my VIN to their recall system due to it essentially "Not existing".

I should, and will, upload the pictures when I get a chance. It has begun to seep out of the bottom engine on the right hand side. It also looks like a few other mounts and components around that area are covered in the stuff. I looked at the filter housing and everything seems to be right as rain there... for now.

There was a TSB raised in May 2015 for the Oil Filter Housing leaking what they called "coolant leakage occurring in oil filter housing." Are you sure it is oil that is leaking and not coolant ?
Your car is under warranty ? Any issues will / should be looked after warranty n/c. I never had any issues while the car is under warranty. Never has been a charge for anything gone wrong. True to their word, at least in my experience.

Bulletin Number: SIM-11-05-15
Bulletin Date: 06-01-2015
Component: 060000 engine and engine cooling

Summary
Mini: some vehicles will experience a loss of power, warning light for engine on, overheating, due to a coolant leakage occurring in oil filter housing. model 2014 f55 (cooper s), f56 (cooper), f56 (cooper s).

Read more: http://helpforcars.net/tsb/mini/cooper/2014.html#ixzz471iO1adD

I'm pretty sure its oil, as the consistency, smell, and look of used oil is there. I really hope its not coolant in the oil as that would be a big F'ng mess. My father had his Saabs oil cooler leak into his coolant (due to the cooler being located inside the coolant system) and it was a huge mess. I know that coolant into oil vs. oil into coolant are two different things, but it's still a mess none the less.

I keep checking oil levels every day, and I'm granny driving it at this point.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pictures of the underside and the situation that will be dealt with at the dealership:

Is it the oil pan gasket as I am assuming (or does it appear to be)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.