Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys.

After 3k miles, with relaxed driving, some light start stop traffic, lots of highway i can't average more than 49mpg, last time if filled it up it was 47mpg!

I've already complained to the dealer, but they give me that "look", it's
normal.

Does anybody has some experience with the one d?

Thanks.
ps. I was going to buy a petrol cooper, i should have!
This f56 one d lacks the sound of the petrol (not bad for a diesel, nonetheless), gives a very relaxed driving but it's no "fun" after 4k rpm and consumes too much fuel.
For the rest, it's perfect! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
44for my petrol Cooper but on this tank with longer runs its showing 48. Mind I always calculate it, never trust the computer!

·
Registered
844 Posts
That isn't good! My Cooper is currently averaging about 45mpg, in warmer weather it was about 48.

I do close to 50 miles per day, mostly slow Edinburgh city bypass then about 5 miles in 30 mph zones.

On a "run" I can easily get more than 50 mpg.

As Jeremy says, double check using a brim to brim calculation to see if your on board computer reading is correct.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Forgot to say...that my computer is pretty accurate. Checked it manually a couple of times and it was out by less than 0.5 mpg each time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
[Eu também espero não ser defraudado nas expectativas quanto ao consumo;)]

Hope I also don't get flopped about mileage.

Have u tried to 'shut down' almost everything? for instance, heat, window heat...
Try changing shift even earlier - the engine seems to have been designed to have very nice torque right from lowest revs. Believe me, try to change it really 'early'.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How fast are you going on the highway? I've found that small engines are good at below 60mp/h, but as soon as you get over that, then the bigger engines start catching up on economy (sometimes even get's more economical).

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Rafa and pwn are right, these engines seem to thrive on very early gear changes, and yes anything above 60 and the efficiency really gets hammered.

I think I should easily get 50 from my petrol on a good run, like kenl. At the mo mines being used occasionally as a shopping trolley by my lovely wife, 5 or 6 miles at a time at most.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
44for my petrol Cooper but on this tank with longer runs its showing 48. Mind I always calculate it, never trust the computer!
You're right, so I do both. But it's rather accurate, 5% was the biggest difference i remember.

On a "run" I can easily get more than 50 mpg.
I once got 63mpg on a run, open road, aroung 65mph :)

[Eu também espero não ser defraudado nas expectativas quanto ao consumo;)]
Hope I also don't get flopped about mileage.
Try changing shift even earlier - the engine seems to have been designed to have very nice torque right from lowest revs. Believe me, try to change it really 'early'.
But haven't you order the cooper d ? Things may be different, then. We'll wait for your feedback.

About the shifting, below 1800rpm doesn't seem ok, you are labouring the engine (i think this is the right way of expressing it).
I tend to shift a little after the software indication, already done exactly as it says and the end result is the same.

How fast are you going on the highway? I've found that small engines are good at below 60mp/h, but as soon as you get over that, then the bigger engines start catching up on economy (sometimes even get's more economical).
You are right, of course. My tuned Defender TD5 averages more mpg than my standard one (the trouble is to resist the right foot:) )

Rafa and pwn are right, these engines seem to thrive on very early gear changes, and yes anything above 60 and the efficiency really gets hammered.
Jeremy, i can only do 60 if the traffic makes me go slow or the weather is very bad. How can we drive our Minis (in the motorway, i mean) so slowly ?
I imagine with a petrol cooper :)

Well, my intention with the thread (besides hear from one d owner's) is to warn people thinking about buying an one d because of fuel savings. If they can,they should buy a cooper d, instead :)

Anyway, its very frustrating MINI/BMW advertising the urban fuel consumption as 72mpg! The urban, note, not the average!

I'll wait for one d owners (if they exist :) )to hear their feedback.

Also, the dealer opinion, besides the shoulder shrugging, is to wait some more miles. I don't buy it, but hope they're right.

Thank you all for your answers.

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
You are right, I have switched my mpg off. Enjoy the car forget the fuel! Too much fun to be had! .

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had a cooper for a courtesy car for 3 weeks before our SD was built. The cooper was averaging mid 40's with town and motorway driving. I would expect better out a one round town than motorway.

For anyone who reads this and after actuals with a SD - we are getting 53 for the same driving that the cooper was getting. However one thing I will say you are far more prone to a heavy foot.

On a good 60 mile run, can get 60mpg, would imagine this will increase over time.

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
I'm afraid the eec are to blame,their mpg tests aren't in the real world and you can look at urban and take 10% off,but at least for us in the uk it is all equal and therefore gives us a comparator!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a Mini One petrol and I average around 43-44mpg. I have never got anything more than that. Slightly disappointing because I expected more however it's such a fantastic car to drive so I don't really mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has a MIni One D bought in July 2014 brand new and the dealer told me economy would be 70 mpg round town 80 mpg urban and 90mpg on a run. I am no fool when it comes to MPG figures and would have expected to get maybe 55-60 urban/70 extra urban/80 run but we are getting 38 combined which i think is terrible. I have a Jag XF 2.2 R Sport bought around the same time an i average 36mpg combined. We both have similar driving styles and similar journeys. We have it in the dealer at the monet as they claim this is normal which cannot be correct. We both love the car but feel very lied to about the fuel economy and we are not happy.

·
Registered
844 Posts
38 mpg! I got about that in my 2009 Cooper S!

Even if you are driving only in town I would ecpect a lot more than this. Unless of course ALL your journeys are about 2 miles.

Are you calculating this manually or is this the trip computers version of events.

If this really is the fuel economy I would be handing it back and while they test it ask for another ONE D to try on the runs you do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They advertise 83mpg :) But that's virtually impossible to get.
Well don't want to boast but my best was 81.1 mpg over a 58 mile run in to work . Over 80% was on a uncommonly clear motorway ( M54/M6) but it shows it can be done. My average speed was 52 mph and the wind was probably in my direction too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts