Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my renewal notice for my registration in the mail. Wow it has been already a year that I have been running on 3 Cylinders.:eek:

Honestly I had my thoughts when I set foot into a 3 Cylinder Mini for a test drive but it has been a marvelous little jewel for the last 12 month.

I did not have any unexpected Dealer visits besides the recall for the rear quarter panel foam just the routine maintenance.

Mini of Tempe has done and excellent job from day 1 from sales to service and addressed all my concerns I had in the past.

Love my Mini and the people that work at the dealer ship.

I have one thing that I really hate about my Mini and that is the ultra thin paint on the car. You just sneeze on the hood and you can see the primer underneath.

The throws in the gear box are a little long but the box is as tight as on the 1st day. A craven short shifter is on the list with the lowering springs/coils and the vip air box.:)

For my daily driving routine the 3 cylinder is perfect it gives me good mpg and is a blast to drive in the city and on back roads.

I was thinking about upgrading to an S but honestly for all the driving I do the basic Mini suits me just fine.

If I find a smoking deal on an S or JCW with the options I want ( heck where can you find a bare bone Mini with manual transmission these days) I might break the wallet open other wise I just built my own 3 Banger the next time with the options I want.

So here you go BMW another satisfied German Customer. :D:D

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Ill second that. Loving my Cooper with its 3 cylinders. Took a friend to a meeting yesterday and he was amazed how quick it was for a 1.5 l

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have covered 24k miles in mine since July 2014. It has been absolutely brilliant. Was at the dealer having a look at the new Clubman.

It and all the other cars were fantastic, but I think I will get another just like the one I have. I have the PEPPER pack and the smallest wheels, it is so comfortable and the small wheels make the car very nimble and fun.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We're a 2-MINI family, each base models with the 3-cylinder. Both averaging about 37mpg US, practically zero issues (save a squeaky clutch on the '15…though I think it's ok now), and a BLAST to drive. Life was too short to drive "boring" cars, & so far no regrets about our 2 MINIs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it normal to feel a little vibration when you accelerate? the sensation it's like when you take out the clutch fast on a manual transmission, mine it's an automatic. o_OEverything else smooth and perfect on the car, no weird noises, nothing at fast or low speeds even in manual mode

·
Registered
316 Posts
Glad you like your car. Though I’m not sure about the paint, to me it looks like it’s as thick as on most modern cars out there. I checked my car with a paint thickness tester and it gave me 100-120 microns and 200+ microns on the roof (mine is painted black). Which is the same thickness as on my Citroen or Hyundai. Is yours any different?

·
Registered
58 Posts
We're a 2-MINI family, each base models with the 3-cylinder. Both averaging about 37mpg US, practically zero issues (save a squeaky clutch on the '15…though I think it's ok now), and a BLAST to drive. Life was too short to drive "boring" cars, & so far no regrets about our 2 MINIs.
We just got our 2019 Cooper S 2dr hardtop last month for my wife and I have to say I love driving it as well! Our other vehicle is a midsize SUV since we have two kids and it’s our family hauler. If anything were to happen to it I may consider getting the Countryman to replace it. Just not sure if that would be too small.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've had my Cooper for over 3 years and can't think of any other car I would prefer, the three cylinder engine is a cracker. I am so impressed with the engine my next car will be an i8. On my wages that's a 1/24 scale though. I don't think the paint thickness is the problem but all (water based) kinder to the environment paints are soft. A price worth paying.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The 3 pot engine is amazing! I heard so many times that 3 Cylinder engine fits the Cooper character the best, but never got what they mean till I own one.
Even in mid mode, I feel like it is always ready to be pushed and rev high. Combine that with 7 DCT and the 6 cylinder like engine sound, it just makes me smile every time I drive it.
Cooper S was way above my budget and I was bit skeptical for going "justa" Cooper but it didn't disappoint me at all!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quite happy with my 2019 F57 Cooper, especially after the ECU was remapped. Wow, there's so much potential in that 3-pot!!
What are your power gains and have you faced any issues so far? I asked to my dealer, if they do remaps under guarantee. They told me, it is not very common to do remaps to cooper 1.5, so I am now bit skeptical.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What are your power gains and have you faced any issues so far? I asked to my dealer, if they do remaps under guarantee. They told me, it is not very common to do remaps to cooper 1.5, so I am now bit skeptical.
Supposedly, peak gains are 60 hp and 100 lb-ft on 93-octane. The thing really scoots. No issues except my fuel economy isn't great anymore, mostly because I can't keep my foot off the accelerator pedal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts