Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This VIN check is fun... you can see the specifications that other people have chosen and, of course, check your own!

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

My car was built on June 12th and I should have it next week.

Looking at the VIN numbers either side of mine, they obviously build batches of cars in the same colour... but this was not obvious when I took the factory tour a couple of weeks ago.

I wonder if the widely varying delay times that people are experiencing is due, in part, to the way they are building cars in colour batches?

My Cooper D was due to be delivered in early May (before the engine issues)... not long to wait now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unfortunately, UK buyers don't get the option of checking by VIN. We have to phone our dealers for updates........

·
Registered
189 Posts
Unfortunately, UK buyers don't get the option of checking by VIN. We have to phone our dealers for updates........
Andy this is not for checking build status - it is only used to confirm the specification of the car, ie what you ordered. You will not be able to get any results until it is built. Mine was built last Tuesday and I was able to confirm it Wednesday (from memory). PS I am in the UK.
Texy

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems to be on the correct side for me. The link above seems to recognise the VIN just given to me by my dealer (Vines Guildford).

·
Registered
340 Posts
It seems to be on the correct side for me. The link above seems to recognise the VIN just given to me by my dealer (Vines Guildford).
Oh really?

That's interesting to know.

Not got my VIN yet, but hopefully in the next week or so.......

Reactions: Sally

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just rechecked mine, and the steering wheel is definately on the left in the images, even though it states :
Steering:rechts

Still, at least it's got
S8TGADiebstahlsicherung Thiefproofing device
~LOL

Texy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, that's the same for me. I just presumed because the site is German and its BMW that the photo's were generic. :-D

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm picking mine up tomorrow and just looked up the details now I have my VIN number (never thought to ask before!). I was a bit nervous in case it was all wrong haha! But looks like it matches what I ordered.

My Production Date was 6th March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I'm picking mine up tomorrow and just looked up the details now I have my VIN number (never thought to ask before!). I was a bit nervous in case it was all wrong haha! But looks like it matches what I ordered.

My Production Date was 6th March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a full two weeks before ours was built...and we have been driving ours for 3 months on Wednesday...:(

·
Registered
208 Posts
Now you can see why I've been so frustrated!! *deep breaths*

Ah well, some good has come of it - I started my little fb group with the intention of it being just a few of us... And at last count we have 99 members! I've made some great new friends and that might not have happened if things had gone smoothly :)

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Now you can see why I've been so frustrated!! *deep breaths*

Ah well, some good has come of it - I started my little fb group with the intention of it being just a few of us... And at last count we have 99 members! I've made some great new friends and that might not have happened if things had gone smoothly :)
Totally understand everyones frustrations. we sometimes feel that our car escaped...
Nice to know there has been a positive side to it all too!

·
Registered
734 Posts
If the VIN is allocated when the car is built... in the UK they seem to allow two weeks from building to delivery to the dealer. Then a few more days before you can collect it.

But that's in the same country...

·
Registered
189 Posts
The VIN is allocated once the factory build commences. How long it then takes to get from that stage to delivery is string length, not fixed. Getting this information in a timely maner is down to your dealers efficiency. My car has been built for a week now, but as far as I know it is still in the compound outside the factory. It could take another week or so for PDI and pick up.
Texy

1 - 20 of 61 Posts