Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't used Motorpoint before, having always gone to main dealers, but I have noticed that Motorpoint have 57 identical spec (Cooper D, Chili, Media XL) in various colours.

As an example this one, a Dec 15 65 plate car is £13k https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/vehicleadvert/mini/hatchback diesel/685903

I wondered whether these were all hire cars, or how they ended up with 57 the same. They told me the previous owner was Alphabet PLC, which I think means they are lease cars. Anyone throw more light on this?

I have not settled on this car, or even a Cooper D, for the type of car this looks cheaper than a Mini dealer. I am willing to pay a bit of a premium to buy from Mini, but not sure how much.

Comments welcome. Cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
https://www.alphabet.com/en-gb chances are they either ex hire lease or employee scheme cars
But it's part of BMW group

Yes thanks. Perhaps there is no way to distinguish between a multi-user hire/pool car, which I would like to avoid, and a car driven by a single user.

With a block of 57 identically specified cars, apart from colour, I guess that makes it more likely it was a hire/pool car, since otherwise they would probably allow the users some choice of spec.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I haven't used Motorpoint before, having always gone to main dealers, but I have noticed that Motorpoint have 57 identical spec (Cooper D, Chili, Media XL) in various colours.

As an example this one, a Dec 15 65 plate car is £13k https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/vehicleadvert/mini/hatchback diesel/685903

I wondered whether these were all hire cars, or how they ended up with 57 the same. They told me the previous owner was Alphabet PLC, which I think means they are lease cars. Anyone throw more light on this?

I have not settled on this car, or even a Cooper D, for the type of car this looks cheaper than a Mini dealer. I am willing to pay a bit of a premium to buy from Mini, but not sure how much.

Comments welcome. Cheers

I don't think I'd even consider it assuming you're taking finance out. The finance rate is far too high. The monthly payments on a car the same cash price as mine is essential you £65 more a month than what I pay.

I personally would also buy from mini direct mainly because if there are issues (hopefully not) you just return to the selling dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't think I'd even consider it assuming you're taking finance out. The finance rate is far too high. The monthly payments on a car the same cash price as mine is essential you £65 more a month than what I pay.

I personally would also buy from mini direct mainly because if there are issues (hopefully not) you just return to the selling dealer.

I noticed that. Monthly rates are madness on that car.

Works out at £11,457.70 over 49 months for a second hand car, that's only 6,000 miles too which is crap. 6,000 miles a year is pointless for diesel!

For only £118.47 more you can have a brand new factory order and get 10,000 miles a year.

I pay less than that for mine and it was a brand new, with higher mileage allowances. It's funny since I was originally looking at a 6 month or pre-reg one, worked out slightly less money to have a new one.

Especially when you consider on a new one you'll get:

• Three Year Mini Warranty
  • Breakdown Cover
  • To choose your spec and colour
  • You won't have to MOT for three years

Reactions: BMWfan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mrobins/ollie - I haven't looked at their finance rate as we would buy with cash and probably keep the car for a decade.

However, I think you are probably right that buying from Mini makes more sense. If it's anything like my experience with BMW, there are bound to be things which need correcting. I am open to buying new (broker4cars seem to have some reasonable discounts for main dealer supplied cars) or up to a year old if that offers a good saving.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How many miles are you gonna be doing a year in it? Couple of reasons why I ask:

1. Diesels are more expensive and you need to work out if you'll make the money back over the fuel saving
  2. The government is toying with the idea of increase fuel duty on diesel soon
  3. Diesels may soon be banned from the centre of London, other cities may follow. This will make the value of diesel cars plummet
  4. Diesel is terrible for air quality and has been shown to be as harmful to children as leaded petrol

Reactions: BMWfan

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Yes suddenly there's a lot of anti diesel propaganda-and as above-they may well hit you in your pocket if you buy a diesel. Plus there's all sorts of associated emissions stuff with diesels that if you read the auto press, go wrong in a VERY expensive way after about 5 years! Petrol seems the safe bet and from this forum the 1.5 petrol has been very reliable-and it's an absolute gem to drive-far punchier than the paper figures would suggest and sounds amazing. Try one!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My last 3 MINI's I was looking at used up to 1 year old and all 3 when pushing for a deal (dealers contribution, manufactures contribution etc) have worked out better to buy new.
The quotes on a fairly highly optioned new car are around £20k (list £23.5 ish). It is pretty hard to find a used one with the options we want which seem to be relatively unusual ones, or at least an unusual combination, but I have found a year old Cooper D which we could get for around £14k from a Mini dealer with these options. If the choice is between a new car for £20k and a year old one for £14k, we would probably go with the year old one. Perhaps I need to push harder on the new car - are people getting better discounts than £3.5k on similar cars?

How many miles are you gonna be doing a year in it? Couple of reasons why I ask:

1. Diesels are more expensive and you need to work out if you'll make the money back over the fuel saving
  2. The government is toying with the idea of increase fuel duty on diesel soon
  3. Diesels may soon be banned from the centre of London, other cities may follow. This will make the value of diesel cars plummet
  4. Diesel is terrible for air quality and has been shown to be as harmful to children as leaded petrol
We will probably cover about 8k miles a year in this one. I completely accept your point about whether we should be paying a premium for diesel, and I think if we buy new it is more likely to be petrol.

I think that EU6 diesels won't be banned from cities any time soon, although you may well be right that earlier models will be. At some point (perhaps in 10 years) I guess EU6 may be banned too, but by then this car will be worth peanuts. The health issue is a real concern for built up areas, although again EU6 is vastly better than earlier models, and our use will be very rural.

Yes suddenly there's a lot of anti diesel propaganda-and as above-they may well hit you in your pocket if you buy a diesel. Plus there's all sorts of associated emissions stuff with diesels that if you read the auto press, go wrong in a VERY expensive way after about 5 years! Petrol seems the safe bet and from this forum the 1.5 petrol has been very reliable-and it's an absolute gem to drive-far punchier than the paper figures would suggest and sounds amazing. Try one!
That's a good point. I think DPFs can be a real liability, particularly for cars that don't regularly drive for long enough to regenerate. We want to keep this one for quite a long time, so we certainly need to think about this.

Many thanks for all of the thoughts. Much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
I was getting an easy 45mpg from my cooper petrol if it helps,our cooper s clubby does 40 easily on a good run! Trouble with the cooper i thought was the smaller tank .if youre rural filling up is a pain!

·
Registered
181 Posts
The quotes on a fairly highly optioned new car are around £20k (list £23.5 ish). It is pretty hard to find a used one with the options we want which seem to be relatively unusual ones, or at least an unusual combination, but I have found a year old Cooper D which we could get for around £14k from a Mini dealer with these options. If the choice is between a new car for £20k and a year old one for £14k, we would probably go with the year old one. Perhaps I need to push harder on the new car - are people getting better discounts than £3.5k on similar cars?

We will probably cover about 8k miles a year in this one. I completely accept your point about whether we should be paying a premium for diesel, and I think if we buy new it is more likely to be petrol.

I think that EU6 diesels won't be banned from cities any time soon, although you may well be right that earlier models will be. At some point (perhaps in 10 years) I guess EU6 may be banned too, but by then this car will be worth peanuts. The health issue is a real concern for built up areas, although again EU6 is vastly better than earlier models, and our use will be very rural.

That's a good point. I think DPFs can be a real liability, particularly for cars that don't regularly drive for long enough to regenerate. We want to keep this one for quite a long time, so we certainly need to think about this.

Many thanks for all of the thoughts. Much appreciated

My only comment on this would be the F56 Mini Cooper is nothing like the previous version where to me the Cooper D was better than the standard Cooper due to its lacklustre performance.

The new Cooper is an extremely capable car and has far better performance than the Cooper D. Depending on what you use the car for, I got 57mpg from my cooper keeping an average 70mph on a long trip without driving the throttle like a Granny.

I think I managed about 450 miles from the tank, probably would have got more had the last 30 miles not been on the approach to London.

That being said I drove it like I enjoy it this weekend and am getting around 360 miles to a tank, which to me isn't bad as I was red lining 2nd and rarely got it above 3rd gear.

It's a good combo of fun and economy...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I take your point on a year old one as the prices are dropping like a lead balloon!

I did get a fantastic deal, I got 4 dealers to quote their best deals and haggled them and the local to my work ended up £3k less than the other 3 so I snapped their hard off ;)

Some was made up with an over inflated trade value but I was only after a cost to change :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.