Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long made short, I've wanted a Mini since the R53 but haven't been able to swing one for one reason or another, fortunately I'm able to now.
Order is in for a 2 door JCW. Went rebel green, malt brown leather interior, sunroof delete and the 8 speed with a few other misc options.
Excited to get it. I've only driven the S, so it'll be interesting. I was/am a little conflicted on the auto vs manual, but this will serve as my daily commuter, run around as well as have fun car, it seems like a good choice. Don't have much longer to change my mind on options haha.
Excited to finally have one in the driveway.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Long made short, I've wanted a Mini since the R53 but haven't been able to swing one for one reason or another, fortunately I'm able to now.
Order is in for a 2 door JCW. Went rebel green, malt brown leather interior, sunroof delete and the 8 speed with a few other misc options.
Excited to get it. I've only driven the S, so it'll be interesting. I was/am a little conflicted on the auto vs manual, but this will serve as my daily commuter, run around as well as have fun car, it seems like a good choice. Don't have much longer to change my mind on options haha.
Excited to finally have one in the driveway.
Nice spec . You will love the Auto. It is a excellent 8’speed box and perfect for a daily

·
Premium Member
22 JCW Hatch Manual Rebel Green
194 Posts
Ended up swapping my auto for the 6 speed and axed the roof rails.
My rep told me that the factory was reopening today, so hopefully not a huge delay, though obviously no big deal compared to other parts of the world.
Well done, last minute decisions are from the heart - hence the best ones ;)

Go on and add those roof rails back on haha Nothing quite as sexy as a well used Mini with surfboards/snowboards/bikes/etc strapped to the roof!

The contrasting brown leather interior will look amazing, great choice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well done, last minute decisions are from the heart - hence the best ones ;)

Go on and add those roof rails back on haha Nothing quite as sexy as a well used Mini with surfboards/snowboards/bikes/etc strapped to the roof!

The contrasting brown leather interior will look amazing, great choice.
Those rails have been the one bane of my build. I don't like them when there isn't a rack on, and I don't want to run a rack unless I really need to. It's been a tough call. I agree with you on these looking the part when they can roof carry. Especially the old ones, I mean c'mon, look at that photo below. I do wish Mini left us with more options than just the rails, and we could've done like the R56 or earlier cars. Could always get crazy with it and pull the interior/headliner, and put FR rails on it haha.

P.S.: The Voyager racks for the old Minis are wonderful, if you haven't seen them: MINI Cooper Classic Roof Rack — Voyager Racks

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Those rails have been the one bane of my build. I don't like them when there isn't a rack on, and I don't want to run a rack unless I really need to. It's been a tough call. I agree with you on these looking the part when they can roof carry. Especially the old ones, I mean c'mon, look at that photo below. I do wish Mini left us with more options than just the rails, and we could've done like the R56 or earlier cars. Could always get crazy with it and pull the interior/headliner, and put FR rails on it haha.

P.S.: The Voyager racks for the old Minis are wonderful, if you haven't seen them: MINI Cooper Classic Roof Rack — Voyager Racks
Bud, I think we NEED Voyager Racks for F56 in our lifes! So beautiful.

And that is an amazing shot - definition of cool!

It would be nice to have a proper roofrack on the JCW, rather than just the bars. I agree, the options are very limited, and I second that previous gens had better solution - especially where the rack legs fitted into the roof just above the 'gutter'. Looked much neater. Ah well, either you'll be pulling out the headliner, or I'll be dismantling the rails :) We'll see.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bud, I think we NEED Voyager Racks for F56 in our lifes! So beautiful.

And that is an amazing shot - definition of cool!

It would be nice to have a proper roofrack on the JCW, rather than just the bars. I agree, the options are very limited, and I second that previous gens had better solution - especially where the rack legs fitted into the roof just above the 'gutter'. Looked much neater. Ah well, either you'll be pulling out the headliner, or I'll be dismantling the rails :) We'll see.
Agreed on all fronts! Those throwback style racks on an F56 would be so good. The way the CarBone look on 911s:

I did read you can fit a 7'8" board inside a 2 door F56 with front seat laid all the way back haha.
(also when the day comes and you put a board/other up on your roof, definitely post a few photos (y))

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
I have to say I disagree . I had the r series rack and those teeth. Was always worried about scratches and rust and safety. Love the rails tbh. Don't think they spoil the car in fact they make it less wet in rain!!!! Likewise the original mini gutters simply dissolved! Good job we're all different.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Agreed on all fronts! Those throwback style racks on an F56 would be so good. The way the CarBone look on 911s:

I did read you can fit a 7'8" board inside a 2 door F56 with front seat laid all the way back haha.
(also when the day comes and you put a board/other up on your roof, definitely post a few photos (y))
Ah don't get me started on 911s and roof racks, I love them! That 964 looks a dream with the CarBone on. Imagine a nice Singer with one of these.

Now you tell me sir, I sold my 7'6 Bing Pintail Mini couple weeks ago haha Will do (y)

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I have to say I disagree . I had the r series rack and those teeth. Was always worried about scratches and rust and safety. Love the rails tbh. Don't think they spoil the car in fact they make it less wet in rain!!!! Likewise the original mini gutters simply dissolved! Good job we're all different.
Haha fair enough - clearly someone writing from experience! Makes me glad I have the rails in the end, sounds like a complete nightmare the previous set up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Checked MyGarage, I have moved from "order received," to "production scheduled," which is nice. Part of me doesn't want to call and try to find out a timeline, but I probably will.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha have you shortlisted your favourites? I’ve got few in mind 😁

You may find this thread by @Fivetones handy, he deals with the limitations due to large callipers - Definitive JCW Brake Clearance and Wheel Fitment Thread
I've only looked briefly, but the calipers definitely seem like a hurdle. I'd like to stick to 17" and no spacers, so that's where I'm starting. Just would like a direct swap, no headache...seems like the pickings are slim for that. I might just swap to silver Mini track wheels, but I like the OZ HyperGT which I think is a direct fit.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Haha have you shortlisted your favourites? I’ve got few in mind 😁
I've only looked briefly, but the calipers definitely seem like a hurdle. I'd like to stick to 17" and no spacers, so that's where I'm starting. Just would like a direct swap, no headache...seems like the pickings are slim for that. I might just swap to silver Mini track wheels, but I like the OZ HyperGT which I think is a direct fit.

Makes sense! I really like the OZs as they are top quality wheels. My favourites are Allegeritta from them.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts