Mini Cooper Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
It is music to one’s ears 😉 I just wish you can hear it more in the interior, but it’s rather well insulated. But I made some ingenious modifications 😁 I took the rear shelf out and most of the time drive with the rear seats folded 😂 Much cheaper than the JCW Pro exhaust!
Hahaha I took the shelf out day one as well and folded the seats down. How funny. Startup sound is SO good, but after you let it idle for a few it really does settle, but the seats down helps. It makes me consider a future rear-seat-delete kit, but at the same time I love how my brown seats look haha.

Overall these JCWs are such great little grin machines. I'm happy I went with it and considering the ways and trends of ICE vehicles and manuals, I hope to hold onto this for a long time. It really punches above its weight and doesn't really leave me wanting.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 · (Edited)
I just realized my reply never posted - I didn’t order an F56, but an F55, S, iconic package in BRG (black roof, mirrors and piano black exterior trim) with Malt interior. I saw the photos of your JCW - and man, she’s a beauty! I love the Rebel green and malt combo!
You're going to love it. The Rebel and Malt combo is a stunner! Just in general these little cars are so unique and fun. Look forward to seeing photos of yours!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Oh man, BTB you're making me giddy for mine! It's due to pass through the Panama Canal here in a few days and arrive stateside at the end of the month. It won't be long now! 😍
Nice! Did you go 2 door as well?
All I'll say is whatever your wait, its worth it. I think so far @ncutinelli has had the longest wait to Oz, and even that wait is gonna be erased after he has it for a few days. 😂

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I haven't had the chance to get it to my normal spot with my gear for some photos, but a couple more random phone snaps:

* @J99CWW I understand why you did the armrest delete. I didn't know that was an option while ordering. It holds a couple things and can be nice when cruising, but I've been running with it flipped up...

Half butt shot...

Interior quicky

·
Registered
23 MINI JCW Clubman - YOURS - Rebel Green / Black - Malt Brown
97 Posts
I haven't had the chance to get it to my normal spot with my gear for some photos, but a couple more random phone snaps:

* @J99CWW I understand why you did the armrest delete. I didn't know that was an option while ordering. It holds a couple things and can be nice when cruising, but I've been running with it flipped up...

Half butt shot...

Interior quicky

Gosh she beautiful 😍
Yep it’ll end up being 40 days shipping …. But not complaining…. It will be approx 3 and half months from order to delivery to AUS …. Pretty bloody happy with that considering what’s going on out there….

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Gosh she beautiful 😍
Yep it’ll end up being 40 days shipping …. But not complaining…. It will be approx 3 and half months from order to delivery to AUS …. Pretty bloody happy with that considering what’s going on out there….
Yeah that's not bad at all, considering. I'm looking forward to seeing some snaps of yours when it arrives. (y)

·
Registered
122 Posts

Half butt shot...

Interior quicky

Beautiful all around!

·
Premium Member
22 JCW Hatch Manual Rebel Green
270 Posts
**Been away from the comp for a few. :sneaky: Apologies for long answers:

Thank you sir! I'm loving it. I'm getting used to the clutch's early engagement, that took me a minute..it sort of catches you (or at least me) off-guard. Though I am used to driving very old things so it was bound to be all new! Also the fact that it can get rolling quite well before you even gas it, and the fact I was shifting too early into 2nd. I guess shame on me for not having driven more modern manuals haha. As for the shifter itself, so far so good. I might be tempted at looking into the Cravenspeed short shift kit at some point, but really I like what Mini has done and everything seems to slot in nicely and the throw isn't overly long or annoying.

Needless to say I'm very, very happy with the spec I chose, and like you, with the options I left out. (I guess that's normal for folks like us who also enjoy simpler vehicles, eg Defenders) The non-DDC suspension is honestly great, I don't consider it harsh and I can't imagine what a super soft setup would be like and I have zero interest in choosing my setup through yet another menu.) The road feel is great as well. (Mine came with Hankook Optimo tires, which I am admittedly unfamiliar with, need to look into 'em more.) The interior trim is wonderful and the seats are crazy comfy and hold very well. Plus they look aces. You know you made the right choice when you look back at your own car.

Does the Veepeak/Bimmercode have a setting to remember the engine auto on/off setting? That's been my one annoyance, having to flick that switch every time I start it up to make sure its lit up. I've forgotten a few times and its caught me out.
*Mine does default to Mid on startup though, not Eco.

Random curiosity, during your break-in period, what RPM are you shifting and what RPM are you cruising?
Really interesting point on the shifter mate - from the beginning I do feel the stick is a touch too long and sits higher up than it should. If you do end up changing it, I’d be very interested to hear more about it!

Haha indeed the analogue drivers like us need simplicity 😉 I think the JCW just strikes the right balance between modern and analogue. Agreed, the suspension is very sweet, gosh it does stick to the road so well - you’ll find out soon once run in! Btw, I heard good things about Hankooks, and I’m sure BMW picks only good tyres for their performance cars 👍

Have you had a chance to play with the Veepeak? There is indeed config for the auto on/off feature - funny, we’re after same set ups! I switched mine off completely, i.e. it always starts up with the feature off. But you can also select memory set up, i.e. it will remember the last choice on the next start up. The Veepeak is worth every penny, it made my experience with the car way more enjoyable.

As for the RPMs - I was cruising strictly at around 3k, and in fact shifting around the same revs, but occasionally may have gone higher, again strictly keeping it under 4k. That’s what my dealer recommended.

Hope you’re loving it so far mate!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
So funny you say that, the piano black surround fits perfectly well. I'm with you. I had to get it home and see it in different light and color to realize it, but it really does work. Of course we got huge storms yesterday so the JCW is nice and dirty already, but even so, I'm liking and keeping the surround.
Oh and I saw a set of the Cross Spoke wheels on display at my dealer and....wow, they're pretty great in person.
I learned with many prior cars it’s good to live with them for a little while as you end up changing way fewer things than you planned 😉 But yeah, Cross Spokes are a piece of art!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Hahaha I took the shelf out day one as well and folded the seats down. How funny. Startup sound is SO good, but after you let it idle for a few it really does settle, but the seats down helps. It makes me consider a future rear-seat-delete kit, but at the same time I love how my brown seats look haha.

Overall these JCWs are such great little grin machines. I'm happy I went with it and considering the ways and trends of ICE vehicles and manuals, I hope to hold onto this for a long time. It really punches above its weight and doesn't really leave me wanting.
I’ve been considering rear seat delete too 😁 They can be handy though, I had two passengers at the back the other day unexpectedly and it served us well! And yep, in your case it’d be a sin to throw those malt brown beauties out haha

I think these manual ICE JCWs are last of their breed and maintained well, they’ll values will only go one way ⬆

·
Premium Member
270 Posts

Half butt shot...

Interior quicky

I’m so in love with that interior…

Yep, I think the armrest was mainly designed with Auto in mind. But hey, no issue flipping it up when you engage sport mode 😉 Or I’m pretty sure the dealer could take it out and put the non-armrest centre console in. I imagine it’d be a very simple job should you choose to go that way.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 · (Edited)
Really interesting point on the shifter mate - from the beginning I do feel the stick is a touch too long and sits higher up than it should. If you do end up changing it, I’d be very interested to hear more about it!

Haha indeed the analogue drivers like us need simplicity 😉 I think the JCW just strikes the right balance between modern and analogue. Agreed, the suspension is very sweet, gosh it does stick to the road so well - you’ll find out soon once run in! Btw, I heard good things about Hankooks, and I’m sure BMW picks only good tyres for their performance cars 👍

Have you had a chance to play with the Veepeak? There is indeed config for the auto on/off feature - funny, we’re after same set ups! I switched mine off completely, i.e. it always starts up with the feature off. But you can also select memory set up, i.e. it will remember the last choice on the next start up. The Veepeak is worth every penny, it made my experience with the car way more enjoyable.

As for the RPMs - I was cruising strictly at around 3k, and in fact shifting around the same revs, but occasionally may have gone higher, again strictly keeping it under 4k. That’s what my dealer recommended.

Hope you’re loving it so far mate!
It is a tiny bit long right? I found out today that the center arm rest can be adjusted down a little which, in casual driving, makes it kinda nice to rest your arm when shifting since the shifter is at the height that it is, so maybe it was by design? I'd like it a little heavier/shorter, but I do like it.

Even on run-in, and now just selecting sport at every start-up, the steering feel and road hug is wonderful. I mean you just breath on the wheel and it moves. Put a hair of pressure on throttle and you feel difference, its great. The Hankooks have been decent and the suspension is beautiful.

I haven't messed with the Veepeak yet but I need to. I read in the manual that the car alarm goes off if you leave anything plugged into the OBD. Do you leave yours in? I'd LOVE to not have to flick my settings at every start-up so I'm going to dig in soon.

And thank you for the RPM report, I've been doing about the same as you did, I was just curious. Only went over 4K briefly on a downshift haha. (Another thing I wish they hadn't changed, auto-rev matching in Mid mode would be nice if you wanna be conservative)

I've gotten used to the clutch's early bite now, so that's nice. Settling into a good rhythm with it and it just makes it that much more enjoyable. I can't wait to hit some proper twisties. My 1st to 2nd shifts were behaving a bit funky at first. (Just by nature I wanted to let off faster and wasn't gassing it soon enough.) Cool thing about the clutch is it makes traffic crawling nicer. Makes me feel old 😂

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
I’ve been considering rear seat delete too 😁 They can be handy though, I had two passengers at the back the other day unexpectedly and it served us well! And yep, in your case it’d be a sin to throw those malt brown beauties out haha

I think these manual ICE JCWs are last of their breed and maintained well, they’ll values will only go one way ⬆
I think this may end up being true. I'm very happy with my decision, and its definitely a keeper.
(And the rear seats have to stay in for now haha, folded or not)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Can someone in the know let me know if the JCW-shifter (stick) is indeed different from the shifter in the S? It does look different, doesn't it? Cleaner. Like, no bag around it, just a sleek plain "shaft".

Anyone in the know? Thanks. Awaiting an S, hence wondering/asking.
Good question and I have no idea. If you look at photos via Google the S looks like it just has a higher boot but those may just be outdated photos. I don't see why it'd bee too different. The knob looks the same.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
It is a tiny bit long right? I found out today that the center arm rest can be adjusted down a little which, in casual driving, makes it kinda nice to rest your arm when shifting since the shifter is at the height that it is, so maybe it was by design? I'd like it a little heavier/shorter, but I do like it.

Even on run-in, and now just selecting sport at every start-up, the steering feel and road hug is wonderful. I mean you just breath on the wheel and it moves. Put a hair of pressure on throttle and you feel difference, its great. The Hankooks have been decent and the suspension is beautiful.

I haven't messed with the Veepeak yet but I need to. I read in the manual that the car alarm goes off if you leave anything plugged into the OBD. Do you leave yours in? I'd LOVE to not have to flick my settings at every start-up so I'm going to dig in soon.

And thank you for the RPM report, I've been doing about the same as you did, I was just curious. Only went over 4K briefly on a downshift haha. (Another thing I wish they hadn't changed, auto-rev matching in Mid mode would be nice if you wanna be conservative)

I've gotten used to the clutch's early bite now, so that's nice. Settling into a good rhythm with it and it just makes it that much more enjoyable. I can't wait to hit some proper twisties. My 1st to 2nd shifts were behaving a bit funky at first. (Just by nature I wanted to let off faster and wasn't gassing it soon enough.) Cool thing about the clutch is it makes traffic crawling nicer. Makes me feel old 😂
Oh yes, the clutch is fab once you get used to it - it does make traffic easier indeed. For a manual, it's a very pleasant car to drive on busy roads!

Don't worry about the Veepeak setting the alarm off, you don't leave it in, you only plug it into OBD when you do the coding, but once coded, you take it out. Also make sure to follow the below steps, otherwise it gets tricky:
Font Screenshot Multimedia Darkness Computer

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 · (Edited)
Oh yes, the clutch is fab once you get used to it - it does make traffic easier indeed. For a manual, it's a very pleasant car to drive on busy roads!

Don't worry about the Veepeak setting the alarm off, you don't leave it in, you only plug it into OBD when you do the coding, but once coded, you take it out. Also make sure to follow the below steps, otherwise it gets tricky:
View attachment 79290
Ah awesome, I hadn't looked into the app yet so I wasn't sure if it was something that needed to stay plugged in like my Scanguage in the truck. Thanks!

Glad to have those tips, I think I'll get into it this weekend. I could really use some tweaks so my start-ups aren't as involved and I can get some settings remembered.

Loving it though. Little trip planned for mid July and might be sneaking out for a few hundred mile trip next week.
I don't really have any gripes with it thus far. I guess I wish I didn't have to reach so far back for the seatbelt, but that's about it 😂

I might swap the wheels temporarily for something else in 17" while I wait until I can swing the full conversion to new 18" and fresh rubber. Just don't like the stock black tracks, so might try something more "casual," like the 5 spokes or a set of OZ HyperGT.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Interior quicky

Can someone in the know let me know if the JCW-shifter (stick) is indeed different from the shifter in the S? It does look different, doesn't it? Cleaner. Like, no bag around it, just a sleek plain "shaft".

Anyone in the know? Thanks. Awaiting an S, hence wondering/asking.
Good question and I have no idea. If you look at photos via Google the S looks like it just has a higher boot but those may just be outdated photos. I don't see why it'd bee too different. The knob looks the same.
Here comes a very recent shot of an S stick: My first ever Mini Cooper S Sport

Looks totally different imho:

My first ever Mini Cooper S Sport... and loving it 😁🥰😍

View attachment 79363
Greetings! :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Putting this clutch delay valve info here for my own future reference, don't mind me...

181 - 200 of 215 Posts