Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I placed my order for a Cooper on May 3rd... Volcano Orange, black roof, Essentials and Connected Packs. I'm beyond excited for my car to come.

I lurked at this forum for several days before placing my order and I knew about the factory delays. When I went to make an order all the same, the sales guy did not mention anything about prolonged build times. He suggested I could expect a later June or early July delivery. I knew he was being optimistic, probably to make the sale.

Since I paid a down payment, I haven't heard anything back from my sales guy giving me an actual delivery date or a build slot.

Is this normal? Or should I be hassling him more? I called once to enquire about some package details and asked when I could expect delivery. He was noncommittal; saying he needs to talk to the sales manager. For such a big purchase from a luxury car dealers, I expected... hmmmm... more celebration and hand-holding than I'm getting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same deal with my dealer... I think it's pretty much par for the course at a lot of car dealers, whatever "luxury" level you're at. My dealer just gave me a ballpark figure for the wait.

My last new car was a custom ordered PT Cruiser and it was the exact same thing. No real info until boom, one day I got a call and it was there.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Welcome to the madness!

I was told late May delivery and that changed to late June/first week of July delivery at worst.

I do believe they are non committal on build slots because of the delays that they are having and the back logs of cars needing attention.

The three things we know for sure is that the diesel engine has caused problems, the contrast roof colours especially black has caused problems and the HK system has caused problems.

As long as the car comes worst case scenario it's a case of taking the hit - it's a shame but unfortunately when presented with such a scenario better to keep cool about it and play the game...

Only up to that point though - I asked my dealer about worst case scenario and she was adamant that it was the worst case scenario first week of July - if it pulls forward then I'll take steps accordingly - as should everyone else.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I didn't get any word of buildtime for almost 3 weeks. Even then it's only a "July" delivery. In hindsight, with all the troubles, I'm glad I don't have a specific date to count down to - it'll only lead to disappointment.

Having said that I've heard the backlog at the plant has kinda been sorted out, back to 24/7 production and pumping out 500+ a day ...finger's crossed you won't have too long to wait!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just a question so please don't shoot me down, but have they started production in the Netherlands as well yet? I'm sure I read somewhere that was on the cards?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I read somewhere production of the countryman was going to take place in the Netherlands but not until later this yr or next year or something? May even be the "next gen" countryman, I can't remember

·
Registered
734 Posts
I ordered May 7th with an estimate of August 1st.
After two weeks I've been given a build week 26 (end June / start July), but this is not confirmed by the factory.

I'll let you know what happens next...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I think a lot of it is down to individual dealers and how many build slots they get allocated. Some will have more than others.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had mine for almost 6 weeks now, but I never got a build week when I was tracking it. Is there way to look that up by VIN?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I ordered mine May 9th. I called 866 AskMini they advised my MCS went into production on the 13th and it will be completed by the 23rd.. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to make the journey accross the atlantic. I was orginally told it would arrive by the end of June..

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
In Japan, the first production slots for Cooper S have gone in 6 weeks (mine was the last available delivery next week). MINI dealers in Japan will opt for July production as a next step. The second delivery would be either in September or October as we need one or two months for maritime transport across the continents....

·
Registered
966 Posts
My order was in for 3 weeks before I got any indication of a build date.

This worked perfectly for me, since the roof rails became available for July builds and I was able to add these to the order.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Once you get your VIN you can track your US (or maybe any exported mini) in detail. There is a great summary of the whole build and ship process at the mini2.com site under the FAQs called "How do I track my US mini once it's ordered" It's getting old but the info is still good. I think the dealer allocation is the most influential part of the process. They only get so many cars each month and they change stock orders to customers orders up to their monthly limit. Here is my PW MCS schedule so far:
4/9 - ordered my baby
4/23 - in the paint shop
5/6 - in assembly
5/9 - at Southampton terminal
5/11 - loaded on ship "Aida"
5/19 - ship stops in Halifax
today - due to unload at New York terminal (then trucked to Vermont)!
Can't wait!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ordered my Cooper on the 14th April and got a provisional delivery date of July, just received an email from the dealer stating no news yet.

Mind you I'm taking my plate off the MX5 for the Mini and the DVLA haven't sorted out the V5C, retention certificate or tax refund yet and that process was started on the 14th as well.

Plus the sun's not stopped shining since I part X'd the MX5 so I'm really depressed, but PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE or so they say!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I ordered mine on May 2nd and was told there and then late July but not had an update or definite date since so who knows!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered mine on yesterday (5/19) with an estimated 23rd week of year production (2nd week of June), but got an email today from the sales guy who said it's already on the production line...couldn't be happier with the news, but just hope it's true.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts