Mini Cooper Forum banner

Order placed for JCW 21st July

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  blackie 
New member here. In NJ the wait was just shy of 2 months.

Mine arrived in mid July, but waited almost 2 more weeks to get it having XPEL applied to quite a bit of it. I was not in a hurry, as my 2006 MCSCa was still motoring along.

So, I've since sold that and have the new JCW since August 1st. We have many of same features, but not all. I feel that NAV is a waste of money, given the smart-phone apps available today (I mostly use WAZE) and how frequently this technology seems to change.

Mine is Thunder Grey and Chili Red, with JCW mirror caps all around inside and out and JCW scuttles. It is so high tech compared to the 2006, I'm still figuring out where stuff is and what it does. I'm sure you will love yours.

Hey Blackie

So how about your first month with the JCW ? Nice "friend" for a daily use you'd say ? Yeah I couldn't stop ticking boxes ahahah.

Here in Portugal the Nav is part of the Wired package is is good value for money as it comes with arm rest, advanced bt, mini connected, hard drive for music and of course the nav. A part from that I really like how it looks on the car and its a great way to interact with the mini :)

I just heard that my JCW is ready to come home and waiting for transport out of Oxford :) Good news

Frankly, I've not driven it enough yet. :eek:I have now had it over a month and not even 400 miles on it yet. It had 55 on it when I got it, as the dealer took it to the XPEL installer before I got my hands on it. Even for me, that is a low month of driving. I don't drive it to work ordinarily, only a few times a month, if that. I figured out I'd averaged only about 17.5 miles per day on my prior Mini over a 9-year ownership period. So, I'm not even through the break-in period.

As far as options go, my approach was different than yours. I don't recall what came with what, but you could pretty much design the car anyway you wanted it here in the US, if you asked enough questions and played with enough of the alternatives. ;) I'd noticed the apps on my phone had become as good as any navigation system (I'm currently relying on WAZE), so I figured why pay for it when the apps improve day-by-day and the navigation systems only seem to update their maps? It was just one other electronic feature that could develop a problem after the warranty ran-out. As it is, the car has so many gizmos I still don't know what many of them do, or how to engage them, or if I do engage them how to shut them off. :confused: It took me two days to figure out how I had accidentally turned on the auto-stop feature and how to turn that **** POS off! What an annoyance!! :mad:

As to your hard drive item, it didn't matter to me. I'm old school when it comes to sound. Well, I'm 62, so no surprise there. I wanted a CD player (since vinyl in a car is impossible :laugh:), which I understand you cannot get even if you wanted one in a 2016. It is actually a 6-Disc DVD player that takes up 3/4s of the glove box (ouch), but I have so many CDs and love the CDHD mixes on the classics I have in my huge collection of Grateful Dead. I blew out the speakers in the 2006, so I like it LOUD. Amazing that I don't wear ear plugs at the shows I still attend and I still attend plenty, both for my own pleasure, as well as for work (which is still pleasure), being a business manager for performing and creative artists and having a few musicians as clients among the many I have in film. Apparently, I only have a slight hearing loss in my right ear according to my latest auditory tests last month, so I'm not yielding to the ear plug trend. Could never quite understand why you'd go to a rock concert and wear plugs, though the time I heard John Entwhistle's side project in BB King's in Manhattan, which is a small club (this was probably 2001), and sat smack dab in front of the Ox I almost wanted them; felt like my ears were bleeding. Only Chris Squire, back in 1972 at The Capital Theatre in Passaic NJ (not to be confused with The Capitol Theatre in Portchester, NY), was as intensely loud and made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Though, nobody lays down bombs like Phil Lesh and I'd have to say those 3 along with Jack Cassidy (whom I just saw with Jorma about 6 weeks ago at the NJPAC in Newark, NJ) and Jack Bruce were my all-time favorites on bass. And all 3 Brits are now gone. Berry Oakley, gone the longest of all these guys, was also right up there. Yes, Macca is great too, but hey, you can laud over him for his songwriting, his voice, and his creativity, so his bass playing is down on my list. In any case, that covers the music angle. The sound system is sure an upgrade over the 2006, which was good at the time.

What else? It is amazing what turns each Mini owner on and what they want to pack into their cars. Choice of colors only begins the story. The Youification is endless, especially once you get into the after-market stuff. I went nuts with my 2006 and vow to be more conservative with this one. However, I'm already salivating over all the JCW Pro crap you can add from Ali Express. It is going to be hard to restrain my urges.:D

Blackie,

I agree with you re the lack of a CD Player....it wasn't worth the cost of Visual Boost "plus" the CD player in the glovebox for 2015...that option went away anyway.

People who don't have a ton of CD's like you and me (apparently) just don't get it! Just look at all the posts on here about troubles loading and hearing music!!!

Sure seems like sliding a CD in a slot would be a heck of alot easier! My 1996 Jeep has a dual cassette/cd player and I love that thing! The Infinity sound system is almost 20 years old in a much bigger vehicle and it puts the Harmon Kardon "Premium" sound to shame imo! Probably the only thing I don't care for on the F56 (besides the DUMB stop/start function!) :(

John

To my ears, there's no comparison between a CD sound and an MP3. MP3 is convenient as far as you can pack a lot of tunes into one small place, but that does not come for free. That compression does cause sound loss. Supposedly that loss is so minute you're not supposed to even notice it, but my ears, even the right side one that has begun to lose some of it's peak operating condition sure notices it.

I recall in days that I traded music files that if you dared trade someone an MP3 over FLAC you'd be shunned by any respectable file traders. It was sacrilege to use anything other than a lossless format.

So, I'm glad I got the 15 and not the 16, or I'd be looking at an after-market CD player. Mini also dropped that secret miniature second glove box too in the 16 and right now it is the perfect fit for a spare pair of sunglasses and other small items, like a tire gauge, a pen, and my extending magnetic stick (for finding small metal parts when they fall into some otherwise unreachable place).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.