Mini Cooper Forum banner

Order to delivery lead times

72K views 417 replies 62 participants last post by  sushi 
#1 ·
I am following people's experiences of the lead time from order to delivery, with estimates during the intervening period varying wildly!

I ordered my L3 mid-November for a delivery by the end of January, because the dealer had a manufacturing slot left, and I took that slot when I paid my deposit. A recent enquiry showed that the car, however, is not due to be put into manufacture until the week commencing 21 March, some six weeks later. At this rate, it is likely to be April before handover takes place.

Yet, despite all of this, people are getting phone calls from dealers saying their cars are ready for collection and handover, weeks before the due date.

I'm a bit bewildered to be honest, as there doesn't seem to be a way of predicting lead times. I would be interested to hear other people's comments and perspective on this.

#2 ·
I ordered mine (Convertible Cooper Sport, BRG, Comfort+) in early Sept and the car is due to be delivered to my local dealership on 24th January. The car entered production during the 1st week of January and is currently waiting to be shipped over to the UK from Holland. At the time of ordering, the delivery date was down as January 31st. It's been a long wait but I know there are similar (if not worse) examples mentioned throughout this forum.

#4 ·
I ordered mine mid August and was given an initial delivery of November, this then quickly jumped to March 2022. Since then I’ve been given various ‘estimated’ build dates ranging from early December to mid Feb. My dealer is currently sticking by end of March.

#5 ·
It varies wildly sadly, not only on whether the dealer has a build slot assigned to them but also the specification that you've ordered and whether the factory can get those bits to actually build your car.

The wait for my car was a rollercoaster and ultimately took 7.5 months. I started this thread which has ended up being a bit of a monster but is a useful place where lots of other people who are waiting for cars are posting about whats happening for them Anyone else waiting for a car to be made?

#6 ·
Yes, it does seem to vary wildly.
I was lucky, the dealer said 8 - 12 weeks and I collected it in just under 8 weeks.
I don't think they had any orders pre-booked, do dealers really take that risk ? , as he had to go up the office to enter my colour/wheel choice into the order system.
Part way through the wait I did use the BMW on-line progress checker thing and it showed a much later date than the max 12 weeks I'd been told so I emailed my salesman to complain and he basically said ignore that, I have the actual delivery date and it's ##### and it was, 7 weeks and 4 days..... I didn't collect it for another couple of days because I wasn't expecting it to be so soon and had other things to do.

#8 ·
I ordered mine - ‘Mini Yours‘ spec ( I believe equivalent to L3 in UK) with a few options on 11 December with preview delivery here in France mid/end March. Just had a call from the garage this afternoon to say the production was almost complete and anticipate delivery in February. :):) The exact date is currently unclear, because it is a question of scheduling the transport to France.

#9 ·
Hi, ordered our 3d Cooper S in the first week of November and still waiting. Not even sure why we were not able to add some optional extras a couple of weeks after the order as we were told that the car is on approval for production and not possible to change anything on the order. if anyone has any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

#11 ·
I ordered my enigmatic black level 3 Electric (black roof, yellow mirror caps) with the sun protection glass and heated steering wheel options on the 9th of October and was told not even to expect a build number until mid January with delivery around March. My dealer contacted me in November to advise they had a production number and they expected the car early Feb. I then got another call at the end of NOV to say it had been moved up and it should be with me by Christmas. I took delivery on the 19th December.

#14 ·
First post for me. I ordered a all black L3 on Dec 12. I was given a production number on Jan 14th and told its scheduled for the 8th week production. Told me to expect delivery end of March perhaps early April as I am having them install the piano black belt line at the port and that may delay delivery slightly.. Being able to track the process online is nice, but it sucks checking and seeing no progress day after day.. The wait is a killer!

#18 ·
You could be right about the lease companies taking second priority. I expect Mini makes less margin. Also from what I understand the Mini concessions have certain allocations per country. If Syntner have used all their allocation then they will need to wait until next slot. I was lucky, because the BMW-Mini concessionaire here is also part of a big group, and they had a Mini on order but not in the final production schedule at that moment, so they reserved it for me, and allowed me to spec. it how I wanted…..

Changing manufacturer may not be the best bet. If you look on the VW ID3 forum you will see comments that the total production for ID3s for 2022 is sold out. People are saying if you place an order now, you get confirmation for beginning of 2023. For the new ID4 they are not accepting any new orders.
For Peugeot e208 (manufactured locally to me) the situation appeared to better. When we asked for a quoted in November they said March. However from what I understand now, these March dates are being pushed back….I have heard June or July….

#19 ·
Thanks for the info, you’ve kind of backed up what I’ve been thinking around switching manufacturers… probably best to stay put and wait. Just frustrating that one of the reasons for ordering was around the tax breaks with 1% BIK, if I get the car in September or later it’s half way through the tax year. Oh well , just hope they don’t cut the Harmon kardon system out, I’ve been reading stories about that too… also wondering why all of a sudden last month Arval managed to secure a price reduction, to me this sounds like mini have omitted an option from the car and Arval are selling this fact to me as though they have done me a favour !! I’ll have to wait and see I suppose👍

#37 ·
We ordered a level 2 a couple of weeks ago and were told estimated delivery was August but the dealer thinks it will be much sooner, they said Mini are prioritising ev builds here’s hopping.
We have a new motorhome on order and that’s been 8 months now and no idea when thats coming

#48 ·
I have doubts apart from special series. Already they are photos of a completely new mini design appearing and that is meant to be launched in early 2023. Personally, from what I have seen, it loses the link to the Mini DNA and looks more like a small iX from the back. Also the fact that the i3 will stop production in July seems to suggest a radical change in the line-up?

#52 ·
HI,
I’m a newbie. Ordered my new mini JCW Convertible on 26 October 21. Added heated screen, heated steering wheel, adaptive LED with matrix plus Harman Cardon. Only issue raised at time of order was shortage of chips for Harmon. was told last week that lead time is now end of April/beginning of May. However, expecting the wait to be worth it.
regards
tomo

#54 ·
My dealer has e mailed me today as below regarding the order I placed for a level 2 in early January:
“Just a quick update to let you know that your New MINI is due to be built Week 22 so we would be looking at mid-late June for delivery.
Also last week we had an update from MINI regarding the Heated Steering Wheel. They have had to remove it as an option from all orders moving forward due to the ongoing chip shortages so the car will not be built with this option as it is not available.”
Bit disappointed about the heated wheel which I really like on our Countryman but I suppose as the car will be garaged and I can precondition I guess I can live without the heated wheel.

#55 ·
I have a level 3 on order. Ordered Dec 12. It’s in the “Paint Booth” after the one week shut down. I’m going to be seriously disappointed if my car doesn’t have the heated steering wheel… I live in the north east and would absolutely use it..
Its scheduled to be completed tomorrow so hopefully it will be here in a month..

good luck to you!

#58 ·
User from Florida on FB group said their dealer showed their 2023 order as having the heated steering wheel removed with a $100 credit to be applied.

Makes me hopeful that my 2023 order somehow made it in early enough to not get it cut. My dealer says there's no indication yet that it was cut on my order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.