Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today ordered chromatic foldable mirrors.
Does anybody know if they are plug and play?

Do i need coding/ other cables?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Agreed psjr,not much is plug and play on this car due to the canbus system.

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Ps let us know w h en you've done it!

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
They're an option. Auto dim ie tint,to reduce glare like you can spec the interior rear view mirror, and fold when you stop and park.

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Super Moderator
1,480 Posts
Pardon me but what is the foldable chromatic mirror?
You never knew you need them till you have them. ;)

All kidding aside, the fact that they fold closer to the car at the touch of a button is a plus. The real reason why I love them is they almost eliminate the annoying headlight in the mirror syndrome at night.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will document it for others but will need some help when coding.
I already know i have to put option 313 in FA. But then in which modules do i read it back in? I read on e90 it was 2 modules....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my new mirrors in and i am preparing my self. I am thinking of making a video step by step.

I did FDL coding, but this will be my first FA/VO coding.

Need a bit advice. I read a lot already. From what i read psdzdata lite is enough.

I have the step by step for vo coding, but the last step i don't now whic ECU's i have to code option 313 (folding mirror) and 430 (Electrochrome) in to.

Could you guys help me out here?

These are my ECU's:

ACSM2

BDC BODY

BDC GW

DME BAC

DSC2

EGS

EPS

FLE

FLE

HU NBT

ICAM2

IHKA3

KAFAS2

KOMBI

PMA2

SAS

TBX

TPL

ZBE3

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
BDC BODY for sure, but I'm not sure if any other modules are required.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some challenges. I didn't know how to get my mirrors of my car.. İ thought i have to get my doorpanel off first, but noo way. It seems they are mounted from the outside of the car. But i noticed, the dealer didn't mount my panel good. There was a slight rattle, it seems they broke one screw hole plastic thing. The screw was loose rattling a bit. Have to order a new part.

Anyway, my car has 5 cables in the connector and the new more advanced folding electochrome mirror has 3 :(((.

First how is that possible? Can anybody explain this? Does this mean i have to find mirrors with 5 pins to be able to use, or is there a way around?
My mirror:

New mirror:

Also how do i turn the electric folding mirror? I cannot get to the wholes . Does that mean i have to code the car first, put in the buttons and use the buttons?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The knowledge on this subject isn't much. Nobody who can look up anything or willing to lookup in Rheingold ISTA D unfortunately.

I am slowly gathering information and will put it here.

This is what i found in a document on instructions of bmw mirrors, i guess this part wouldn't be too much different in the mini...:

Driver's Door Switch Cluster
The driver's door switch cluster is connected via the LIN-bus to the footwell module. The adjustment motors in the Low version of the outside mirrors are controlled directly by the mirror adjustment switch in the driver's door switch cluster.
The driver's door switch cluster in the High version of the outside mirrors is connected to the outside mirrors via the LIN-bus.
The electronic mirror module in the outside mirrors evaluates the LIN-bus signals and activates the adjustment motors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't you need the rear view mirror on the inside with the light sensor (part number 51 16 9 285 373) to be able to use the electrochromic mirrors?

Eager to know how you get along, this is one mod that i most definitely want to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bump, anyone got this working? My stock mirrors also have 5 cables and power fold mirrors only 3. Same with the power fold switch, it has less cables than my stock window switch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like the "low" version of the mirrors have more wires because they use traditional electrical switches for all the mirror-related controls. Whereas the "high" version of the mirrors (presumably, the power-folding, auto-dimming version) use the LIN-BUS to control all of the functions. This makes sense since the auto-dim function is driven by the interior rearview mirror, etc. I'm guessing this is much more than a simple coding difference. I'm willing to bet that the control module(s) that are involved have different wiring outputs, so you'd have to do a rewire at the mirrors and at the control module to which they're hooked, and then do the necessary coding to fully enable all of the functionality. Also, I'm 99% certain that the auto-dimming interior rearview mirror is required for the exterior mirror to auto-dim. This is just based on my prior experience fitting things after-the-fact on my previous BMW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like the "low" version of the mirrors have more wires because they use traditional electrical switches for all the mirror-related controls. Whereas the "high" version of the mirrors (presumably, the power-folding, auto-dimming version) use the LIN-BUS to control all of the functions. This makes sense since the auto-dim function is driven by the interior rearview mirror, etc. I'm guessing this is much more than a simple coding difference. I'm willing to bet that the control module(s) that are involved have different wiring outputs, so you'd have to do a rewire at the mirrors and at the control module to which they're hooked, and then do the necessary coding to fully enable all of the functionality. Also, I'm 99% certain that the auto-dimming interior rearview mirror is required for the exterior mirror to auto-dim. This is just based on my prior experience fitting things after-the-fact on my previous BMW.
Bad news for me then :(
I'm willing to do all the work and rewiring but no knowledge of which wirings I need, etc. If someone wants to do this too and have a little idea, let me know. I already have the mirrors and switch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is possible to do this (and easy, no extra wiring), you have to change driverside switch, you need to change 3 wire’s in the driverside switch plug and you need a bit off coding, this can be done with bimmercode and a wifi obd plug.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is possible to do this (and easy, no extra wiring), you have to change driverside switch, you need to change 3 wire’s in the driverside switch plug and you need a bit off coding, this can be done with bimmercode and a wifi obd plug.

the rest of the coding parts a will post later

1 - 20 of 35 Posts