Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - first post. Have been browsing and some of you guys have some really nice cars!

I've into my local dealership as I am possibly looking to upgrade to a new shape (currently in a 59 plate Cooper D).

So (stay with me), I've been told they have a car that they've used as a display model (hasn't been driven/registered yet) so essentially new. Apparently the dealership has 60 days to sell the car before they have to pay Mini for it. That time has passed so the dealership now has cash tied up in this car and they need to sell it, originally he said at a loss if it means it's sold (but later went on to say how Mini never sells cars at a loss). Not exactly sure what's going on/what to make of what I'm being told as I asked him why it hadn't been sold, and he said as it was in storage.

A few questions: I've been given a print out sheet of the spec of the car. The total comes to £18,635. It then goes onto list things like:

Supply & Fit Number Plates (£30)
Fuel (£35)
Elms Protect Pack (£399)
Delivery (£440)
TLC Maintenance Pack (£299)
First Registration Fee (£55)

Which brings the grand total to £19,893. Are these things you would normally be expected to pay for? The advertised price of the car doesn't state these added charges.

Apologies if this is an insanely stupid question! I feel to a certain extent I am getting the sales spiel. I hate B/S, I'd rather someone just be straight with me.

Attached is a picture of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes thats the normal default "On the Road" uplift from Mini, or at least it was for mine which I ordered a few weeks ago.

You dont have to have the TLC Pack if you dont want it I think, and Im less sure about the Protect Pack, so worth checking but its a Kosher looking On The Road list

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's normal for there to be added charged on top of the advertised price?

Considering the car is new and I haven't specced it, and they're supposedly 'desperate' to sell it, I don't see why anyone would buy it instead of speccing up their own model unless it was being sold at a good price. They offered to take £745 from the asking price but I could probably negotiate this discount on a new car that I've customised myself.

In regard to delivery - does this mean the delivery cost to get it from the factory to the dealership? Or does this mean something different. If it's the former, surely I shouldn't have to pay for that bearing in mind it has been used a display model.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For a new car normally yes. Dealers and not just Mini tend to quote a car price and an "On the Road" price which normally has licence plates, one year tax and maybe some other brand specific items.

In your case I would suggest you push back on the delivery certainly although I dont know specifically if that is dealer to you or factory to dealer and if you dont want the TLC Pack you dont have to buy it.

If the car is already there then the Protect Pack has likely already been applied and you may have to just eat that one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey - first post. Have been browsing and some of you guys have some really nice cars!

I've into my local dealership as I am possibly looking to upgrade to a new shape (currently in a 59 plate Cooper D).

So (stay with me), I've been told they have a car that they've used as a display model (hasn't been driven/registered yet) so essentially new. Apparently the dealership has 60 days to sell the car before they have to pay Mini for it. That time has passed so the dealership now has cash tied up in this car and they need to sell it, originally he said at a loss if it means it's sold (but later went on to say how Mini never sells cars at a loss). Not exactly sure what's going on/what to make of what I'm being told as I asked him why it hadn't been sold, and he said as it was in storage.

A few questions: I've been given a print out sheet of the spec of the car. The total comes to £18,635. It then goes onto list things like:

Fuel (£35)
Elms Protect Pack (£399)
Delivery (£440)

Which brings the grand total to £19,893. Are these things you would normally be expected to pay for? The advertised price of the car doesn't state these added charges.

Apologies if this is an insanely stupid question! I feel to a certain extent I am getting the sales spiel. I hate B/S, I'd rather someone just be straight with me.

Hi CooperD - firstly, anyone buying a MINI that doesn't take the TLC pack would be crazy!!

I ordered my F56 Cooper D before the car was launched and, as a returning customer, I was given the TLC pack for free... but, at £299, it is still incredible value!

Secondly, do not pay £399 for the Elms Protect Pack!

This is just the dealer making almost 100% profit from customers being 'persuaded' that this will increase the value of their cars - polish/protect the car yourself!!

If they have done this for you - great... but tell them that you won't pay for it.

Seems to me that you should be able to negotiate a really favourable deal on this car.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Jjh is 100% correct. You'd be mad not to have the tlc, 5 years servicing for 299, mad not to.and say no to the protect pack. Total waste of money. If it is already applied cthats their problem. We had that on a mini cabrio and they'd done it already. We refused it and so they just didn't give us the certificate. As wiltspat I managed to get tlc for free too. If they want a sale they'll throw that in! Don't take the mini gap insurance either. Ala are far cheaper.

Reactions: CooperD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the input! I will likely contact the dealer in the next few days. My only issue is I'm not entirely sure if I like the colour and I would prefer a car with the HK sound system in it!

It does have the Pepper Pack, Visual Radio Boost, Anthrecite headlining and some other minor interior options.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My two cents are on the colour (I'm picking mine up in blue in two days - blue's not really my colour, but I'm driving it for a few months and then it'll go to my Mum, and blue is her choice).

If you're getting a discount of £750 then I would say that's okay-ish... but like you said, you will probably get that on a car you have specced to your liking anyway. To put it into context, I've been offered a starting discount of almost £2k on a loaded cooper s 5 door because I've already purchased a mini. I'm pretty sure I can get this discount higher too!

So the question you should ask yourself is, do I like it enough to get a car I can drive away quickly or am I prepared to wait a couple of months for something I can tailor to my needs.

Finally - get the TLC (no brainer), forget the ELMS (or refuse to pay it).

Oh, and there's no way they are selling it at a loss!

Sunster.

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Quite right sunster no no w a y they'd sell it at a loss. That is salesman bull

Reactions: Sunster

·
Registered
288 Posts
mines on order,pick up march

Yes as others have said,get the tlc its well worth it. When i bought my clubman they tried to sell the protect pack,i declined searched ebay and found the exact kit they tried to sell me but i bought it for around £50.

SO it saves to shop around.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Fuel (£35)
Elms Protect Pack (£399)
Delivery (£440)

If you would consider a S/H car then Rybrook Mini have an amazing deal on a VO cooper D with SAT NAV ,LED lights, Leather , Park assistant, 17" wheels

£18 k inc TLC!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...tch_cooper/radius/25/price-to/18000?logcode=p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts