Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped these bulbs in yesterday. What a difference they make!

You can definitely notice the improvement over the stock halogen bulbs. Plus the giant reflectors in the headlight housing help to give it a nice light blue tint. The light output is nice, and they really help improve things in low visibility.

Pick em up. They are worth it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well worth a try at about £12 to £16 a pair.

Although I have a stock of unused bulbs from the past, I probably need a spare set anyway, so will experiment with these. Previously I have not found similar 'improved output' bulbs to be much different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put a pair of Philips Xtreme Vision +130 bulbs in a couple of weeks ago. Definite improvement observed.

Bit tight swapping the bulbs (scraped fingers), and I'd recommend placing a medium length screwdriver head against the back of the old bulb when wiggling the connector off - otherwise the bulb just wobbles about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put a pair of Philips Xtreme Vision +130 bulbs in a couple of weeks ago. Definite improvement observed.

Bit tight swapping the bulbs (scraped fingers), and I'd recommend placing a medium length screwdriver head against the back of the old bulb when wiggling the connector off - otherwise the bulb just wobbles about.
Yep, Nightbreakers are definetely an improvement. The light is whiter and brighter, and lights the road 10-15m more. It is a bit of pain to remove connectors for the first time. The easiest thing to do is to hold a plastic trim tool against the back of the bulb and wiggling the connector slowly with the other trim tool.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How have peeps found the longevity of these bulbs?

I have been using them in my present car (H1) but they only seem to last about a year and that's in the main beam which doesn't get the same usage of the dip. The dips have H1 HID in them which have been fantastic.

Before we start World War 3 about HID conversions, I have projector headlamps which work properly with HIDs

·
Registered
66 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday, 1st drive and 1st drive in the night, thought the headlamps were pretty good TBH (standard halogen)

Was a bit odd getting used to the dip going off and the main going on. Present car has quad headlamps, the dip stay on all the time even when on main beam so you get a very good spread of light on main beam

·
Registered
317 Posts
Fitted mine today.
The electrical connections are a right ******* to get off but simple job otherwise.
I took a half way stage photo to show the difference, you can see the big difference in the reflection off my Dad's Clio.
Working the night shift tonight so I'll see what they are like when I finish at 5am tomorrow.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone used a H4 HID kit in the Mini? If so did they work ok without dazzle etc

Something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55W-HID-X...hash=item3f55ba1f14:m:mL1YRS8Cvn8Z8QeuHgbkVHA
From what I know, the HID kits you get off Ebay are usually pretty garbage. Your best bet is to spend the money on the headlights that were designed for your car. It's not only a safety factor for you, but for others on the road. Bad HID kits are by and far some of the most dangerous things other drivers see on the road.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just exploring options that's why I asked. I think the headlamps are pretty good anyway but I do like to see where I am going so if there is a cost effective way of improving things, I'm all for it

Options so far, there may be more:-

Leave them alone!
Nightbreaker type bulbs, probably the best option
Xenon filled bulbs, not sure about these never used them
55/100 overload wiring/relays/fuses
90/100 ditto
HID kit dazzle/beam scatter/legality
Spotlamps cost/fitting

Don't want chav blue no matter what

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.