Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have managed to rupture my achilles, this means I am in plaster for 6-8 weeks!
I have left my car at work (thats where I injured myself) and will be going back in a couple of weeks for 1-2 days a week.
Do I need to do anything as the car will be standing for quite a while, do I need to turn the engine over every so often to make sure its OK or can it just be left for 8 weeks?
Three days in and really missing my Mini, just want to get back behind the wheel !!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would give it a run at least every couple of weeks, do not leave the handbrake on but put it in gear and if you trust anyone ask them to give it a quick run round the car park to clean any rust off the brakes. I think the voltage is more important with AGM batteries so it is a good idea to keep it well charged.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Mechanically speaking it is advisable to keep the components moving as much as possible. There is no rule of thumb here but its best to kick the engine over and drive it atleast every 2-3 weeks. You dont want the fuel to go off or dry out the seals plus to keep the battery charged.
If you were not going to drive the car for a few months, you would raise the car off the ground, remove the battery or keep it on charge, remove the fuel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you much appreciated

Going into work for a bit in a couple of weeks, so i'll take my keys and get someone to turn her over, possibly give it a run around the base!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Don't just let it run for a short period, better to give it a long run or leave as condensation will lay in the exhaust causing rust, you could just leave running for upto 1 hour, drive or at least move to stop the weight being on one place on the tyres and don't forget to run the A/C for a period of time and then run with the heater on to drive the heating vents back out...

I was out of action for about 3 weeks as well after a major op, it's very hard walking past the car and not being able to drive it, I couldn't as would have invalidated the insurance as under hospital orders.

Hope you are out and about soon :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, thank you, thats why I am happy leaving it at work so I don't have to look out of my window every day and see what I am missing!!

My wife has offered to drive it if we bring it home, but judging by the scratches and dings her car has (caused by other people in her work car park) I have politely declined!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
So, I have managed to rupture my achilles, this means I am in plaster for 6-8 weeks!
I have left my car at work (thats where I injured myself) and will be going back in a couple of weeks for 1-2 days a week.
Do I need to do anything as the car will be standing for quite a while, do I need to turn the engine over every so often to make sure its OK or can it just be left for 8 weeks?
Three days in and really missing my Mini, just want to get back behind the wheel !!!!
feel better !
horrible and very painful injury that takes time to heal. be patient, patient.
all the best and speedy recovery !
Mini will be waiting for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well got back to work after 4 weeks, whilst I was there I wanted to turn my engine over and get it to warm up.

I was expecting a bit of a hiccup as it has been been standing for so long, so pressed the starter and it fired up straight away and was running sweet as a nut, ran the air con and it was immediately icey cold!!

Just another reason why I love my car!

Hopefully I will be able to get my wife to pick up my car next week then at least it will start to be used, I am sure its feeling pretty lonely!

Only 7 more weeks until I can drive, I can't wait!!

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
The mini has a massive battery so good to see it doesnt lose much charge whilst stationary for some time. The only main concern will be the fuel and hope it doesnt go off.
Counting the days.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Drom is right; all the mags etc go on about petrol going off but i leave my bike all winter and it fires up with out any issues even on just old fuel; dont worry. like wise i was off for 13 weeks after badly breaking my arm and my car only got driven once or twice in that time; was absolutely fine. as has been said either give it a really good run or dont start it at all as this will create condensation and problems! Hope you make a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all - recovery is fine, just totally fed up with being on crutches!!!

My wife is anxious to pick it up, I think it is because the Mini has a little more street cred than her Skoda Roomster!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
In 2012 I left my X5 3.0D for 2 months and it started first time and then left it again 2 weeks later for 4 months. It started again first time. In both cases I just left it in my garage locked with no other activity other than the dust falling on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.