Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mark they do more damage than good, invest in some decent paint protection (not superguard), get a local detailer to do a new car prep with a decent hard wax. I decided to buy my own bits and learn to wax the car etc, my paint is still perfect 4 months and 6000 miles later

HI Guys

I've ordered a brand new JCW and am looking around for a good outdoor cover. Any suggestions or experiences are welcomed!

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have a cover on order (special order) right now. I'll let you know how it works out before I recommend it to anyone. I found, after a lot of research, that car cover companies don't know what an F56 JCW 3Dr hatch really is!!!

I agree that frequent use of a cover for outdoor use can cause more problems than prevent...but, some of the new covers that fold up to 1/3 the size of most covers are really good for occasional use from sap and rain, as needed.

Custom fitment covers really helps reduce rubbing, etc.

John

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Whats wrong with supagard ive used that on all my previous minis? Are there better types of paint protection?
The fact that you can buy on eBay the pad that's used for a £10 and apply your self also it does not last long.
I have tested a good few coatings over the years carpro finest or CQUK or Getech etc take a lot of beating ceramic coating
For plastic carpro DLUX and Getech stopping greying.
Best to tell the dealer not to touch and get it machine polished then coated could last 18 months if well maintained

·
Registered
198 Posts
Depends where you keep your car.

If its on your drive and you can safely access 240v the best one is an outdoor Carcoon, it requires a power source to keep it inflated. It does not touch the car at all and the fans / filters stop any dust or condensation forming on the car, downside is the £350 price. You can put a wet car in it and the drying mode will get rid of all the moisture in a day or so.

I keept my 40 yr old Dolomite Sprint in an indoor one in the garage and they do a good job.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Got my new Weathershield HP car cover from Covercraft today!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Looks good. I'm only I had a garage
I used to park my 1976 BMW 2002 outdoors and I used an Evolution car cover...very heavy duty and withstood the rain, snow & ice very well.....I just took it off when not frozen and wiped the car off and let the cover air dry a bit.

Only issue I had was some minor paint rub at a couple corners on the hood & trunk....probably from wind and the cover not being held down tightly enough.

When you buy a cover you can get stiffener lines that clamp on loose edges to draw the cover tightly where needed.

Covercraft makes a Weathershield HD which is a heavy duty cover for outdoor use (for longer storage). You can also try Evolution car covers & others at www.BavAuto.com (Bavarian Autosport, here in the USA)...They have alot of MINI stuff, including covers.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.