Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the current situation with the lockdown I was thinking about a cover. My car sits on the drive and is only going to the shops once a fortnight. After every clean it seems to get covered in pollen again very quickly. Does anyone use an outdoor cover preferably breathable and have any recommendations. Ideally a custom fit for a F56 MCS but a universal in the right size might be okay.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In my 'only' experience with an MGF back in the mid 90's, they move about and scratch/flat the paint? Also, a local cat found a way under it and used to curl up on the soft top - cat hairs were a right game to remove, as were the claw scratches on the paintwork.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my 'only' experience with an MGF back in the mid 90's, they move about and scratch/flat the paint? Also, a local cat found a way under it and used to curl up on the soft top - cat hairs were a right game to remove, as were the claw scratches on the paintwork.
I would not use a cover if the car is kept outside. The movement of the cover caused by wind will almost certainly scratch the paint let alone ingress by cats. In addition to this, the car would have to be spotlessly clean and dry before you put the cover on or you would do even more damage. It would be easier to wash the car every couple of weeks with an occasional wax/polish two or three times a year.

·
Registered
2018 JCW BRG
7 Posts
I had the same issue with my car being outside most of the time, can't stand getting it all polished and then watching it rain on it or it sitting in the Sydney sun all summer. When I bought it I ordered a custom HP cover from Covercraft. I can't see it on there now, but at the time they had exactly the shape including allowing me to select a shortened aerial and driving lights so its a perfect snug fit and looks great - they even had them in green at the time so it matches the car.

·
Super Moderator
6,786 Posts
As above; I really wouldn't trust any cover no matter how soft outside-great in a still garage to keep dust off but outside it'll always move in any breeze. The slightest fleck of dust on the paint becomes an abrasive-better to just leave it and wash it whenever you feel like it!

·
Registered
2018 JCW BRG
7 Posts
Yeh, understandable. For me the cover is a better option - the car is clean whenever I want to drive it and the rubber/plastic doesn't age in the sun as much, which at least for now feels like a good tradeoff for spending a day buffing out small scratches in the future. I haven't had any problems with noticeable scratching in the last year of using it, perhaps due to the tight fit, or perhaps just lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts